• Playwire Ad Area

Mesenbrink transfer

creek chub

2 hours ago, flyingcement said:

RS Freshman.  Most likely will finish college undefeated like his coach

I'm not sure if this is tongue in cheek or not, but...it's not that crazy to think. If...hypothetically, he goes 157 next year, I think he's the favorite. 

165 and he's certainly not.

What a tough call PSU will have to make...does your True Fresh who took 2nd go 157, does the incoming RS Freshmen who beat said True Freshmen(albeit before College) go 157, does one move up and knock off one of the top recruits in their class who was SUCH a massive bust he "only" won 1 match at the NCAAs?

3 hours ago, Le duke said:

The log jam that Penn State has extends down to 141. There is no room for any of them to go up in weight. Only down.

BB is a Junior World bronze at 65kg, NCAA 3rd place finisher at 141. Two years of eligibility left. 

SVN is an NCAA 3rd place finisher at 149. Three years of eligibility left. 

Kasak is a U17 silver medalist at 65kg. Made 139 recently for Dapper Dan/PWC.

At 157-165-174, Penn State has:

1) Carter Starocci, 3x 174lb NCAA champ with two years of eligibility (unlikely to take both).

2) Alex Facundo, 165lbs, 0-2 at NCAAs last year but likely a top 10 guy when healthy. Might be forced into an OLY RS fi Three years of eligibility remaining.

3) Haines, 2nd place at 157 as a true frosh, likely to remain at 157. Three years of eligibility remaining.

4) Mesenbrink, U20 silver medalist at 70kg. Beat Haines after Haines won the challenge tournament. Four years of eligibility. 

5) Josh Barr, will be a freshman this year. Will RS unless Starocci goes OLY RS. 174 at the lightest, 184 in time. Four years of eligibility.

5) Joe Sealey, 71kg U17 World Champ. HS Senior this upcoming year. Wouldn't be surprised to see him at NLWC for his senior year or go GS/RS to let the lineup clear out a bit.

And then the Mirasolas and Ryder...though they have some time.

It also may extend down to '25 with Lilledahl, Gibson(likely followed by is brother, the cousins, so 5 total).

Penn State is going to lose AAs like Beard because they just can't crack the lineup in the near future. 

Yah, I'm bummed cause I was hoping Kegan and Mitch were going to be training teammies in the Tiger room next year.  That would have benefited both and added another contender in the fold.  Gotta think Mitch would have fit right in with the "Tiger Style" ethos.

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, MidwestMan said:

Yah, I'm bummed cause I was hoping Kegan and Mitch were going to be training teammies in the Tiger room next year.  That would have benefited both and added another contender in the fold.  Gotta think Mitch would have fit right in with the "Tiger Style" ethos.

Agree 100%. I’m high on Cam Steed if he’s the one to take over 157, but I’m not gonna lie, Mitch at 157 in a Mizzou singlet sounded nice. 

• Fire 1

26 minutes ago, MizzouFan01 said:

Agree 100%. I’m high on Cam Steed if he’s the one to take over 157, but I’m not gonna lie, Mitch at 157 in a Mizzou singlet sounded nice. 

Maybe Mitch and Keegan don’t get along? Weird that he went to Cal Baptist to begin with.

Just now, Gus said:

Maybe Mitch and Keegan don’t get along? Weird that he went to Cal Baptist to begin with.

Could be the case. I think I heard him say in his announcement interview today that CBU was the first to offer initially and he felt he needed to be loyal to them or something like that. 

Just read Mitchell Mesenbrink's interview on Flowrestling about why he chose Penn State.  He described the "Tiger Style" philosophy to a "T"!  Everywhere in the article that read as "Penn State", I just interjected "Mizzou" in my mind.  Love this kids attitude.  Sure would have looked good in Gold n Black.  Guess I'm still wondering why Mizzou didn't pursue him harder than Cal Baptist, in the first place.  Gotta let it go!

• Fire 1

16 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Nothing sinister at all. Just ihave no doubt these kids are getting paid.  And they should!  There's a growing wave of painting these decisions as purely altruistic and in the nature of the pursuit of greatness, and I have no doubt that Penn State's greatness is helping to draw kids to transfer....but they are also getting paid thru NIL, etc.

So by what you said PSU is doing nothing ar all wrong.  Kids and senior athletes want to train at arguably the best place in the world and NIL is legal everywhere, do you have numbers that they are getting or being offered more than anywhere else?  As your Armstrong comment implies.  

Perhaps when student athletes see the powerful comments from Max Dean (Who lobbied to go to PSU) after placing seventh  being so sincere  about the love that he received from the team and the PSU family and his priase of Cael and Company.  Or Bo Nickel still working out with the club and the profound mutual respect he and Cael have for one another. And there are numerous others I could quote.  

Keep hoping and praying for your Armstrong moment.  I doubt it's coming.

• Fire 2

20 minutes ago, Threadkilla said:

So by what you said PSU is doing nothing ar all wrong.  Kids and senior athletes want to train at arguably the best place in the world and NIL is legal everywhere, do you have numbers that they are getting or being offered more than anywhere else?  As your Armstrong comment implies.  

Perhaps when student athletes see the powerful comments from Max Dean (Who lobbied to go to PSU) after placing seventh  being so sincere  about the love that he received from the team and the PSU family and his priase of Cael and Company.  Or Bo Nickel still working out with the club and the profound mutual respect he and Cael have for one another. And there are numerous others I could quote.  

Keep hoping and praying for your Armstrong moment.  I doubt it's coming.

I feel like I explicitly said they were doing nothing sinister.  The Armstrong thing was not a direct comparison, sorry if it chapped your ass 

8 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I feel like I explicitly said they were doing nothing sinister.  The Armstrong thing was not a direct comparison, sorry if it chapped your ass 

You are too easy to read.  Your cynicism comes through in spades.    Just by dropping Armstrong and doubting altruism is enough for me counselor.  

• Fire 1

To those talking about how close MM and O'Toole are: They are what... five years apart?  MM has just gotten as large as him this last season.  I doubt they have much, if any, mat time together.

Also to those think MM competes with O'Toole?  Laughable shit.  Seriously  

• Fire 2

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

16 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

To those talking about how close MM and O'Toole are: They are what... five years apart?  MM has just gotten as large as him this last season.  I doubt they have much, if any, mat time together.

It's the way of the PSU freshman... they always keep with NCAA champs... sorry...world champs....er I meant Galaxy champs. 

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

1 hour ago, Threadkilla said:

You are too easy to read.  Your cynicism comes through in spades.    Just by dropping Armstrong and doubting altruism is enough for me counselor.  

I'm a pretty open book, I have no reason to play subtle games ona  wrestling forum.  I don't like Penn State, I don't root for them, but it would be awfully high and mighty for me to claim they were doing something sinister while my preferred team is flirting with AJ Ferrari.

• Fire 3

A guy as talented as Messenbrink (the son of Askren’s coach), who gets to work out with Nolf, Dake, Haines and Starocci, and will be coached by Cunningham?

After Carr, I’d bet he’s the most likely to knock him off. O’Toole will be in trouble if Starocci comes back in 24-25.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Le duke said:

A guy as talented as Messenbrink (the son of Askren’s coach), who gets to work out with Nolf, Dake, Haines and Starocci, and will be coached by Cunningham?

After Carr, I’d bet he’s the most likely to knock him off. O’Toole will be in trouble if Starocci comes back in 24-25.

Keep drinking the kool-aid. 

He hasn't wrestled a single starter in D1 yet nor has he even cracked the starting lineup at any D1 college.

He gets an insane amount of credit for three major things.  Beating Haines in Freestyle... a kid who just made it through an entire challenge tournament - at 70 KG (~154lbs), for being Askren's coach's son, and for Haines' results because he beat him.

Now he is the next DT/Askren hybrid up at 165lbs and is going to be the consensus#3 165lber in 11 months?

No.

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, Threadkilla said:

Probably best to lay off Vak.  He isn't just royalty around here, he is actually respected and a well articulated individual.

In fact he is the only Iowa fan I know that can type or speak words with more than two syllables... and I have been around D1 B1G wrestling in some capacity since the 1980s so I have seen a lot of Iowa fans, wrestlers, coaches, etc.

Edited by nhs67
  • Fire 1
  • Stalling 1

20 hours ago, MizzouFan01 said:

Say Mitchell goes 165. How interesting would a match at NCAAS be between him and O’Toole. I’m sure they are friends and very familiar with one another. It’s definitely a match I would love to see. 

I think you might be disappointed. O Toole by more then a couple 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Le duke said:

I'm certainly not betting on Messenbrink at this point. He's a pretty distant 3rd...at least behind O'Toole and Carr and I might put him behind Amine and Hamiti...but to just flatly dismiss the potential that he COULD knock off either next year...well, you're grossly underestimating him. 

His Dad is also one of the best coaches I've seen in game planning and helping prepare for a particular match. Now given how we'll he knows O'Toole, having coached him for SO long, I think the chances that he knocks off O'Toole are better than some are giving him. Especially with ~11 months to train and work with just some of the guys you've listed.

I'm also curious if he even goes '65. Seems like it'd make more sense to RS Haines, Wrestle Messenbrink at '57 and then the next year Messenbrink moves up.

@Ivan Stankowski I think you might be disappointed. O Toole by more then a couple 

Right now, sure...but would you be shocked if in 11 months it's a competitive match?

John Messenbrink is as responsible for AWA's success(and Askren's) IMO than anyone. Mitchell is going to be as prepared for whatever O'Toole has as anyone in the Country. If he can actually stop it or upset him...that remains to be seen. 

Edited by scourge165

7 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Probably best to lay off Vak.  He isn't just royalty around here, he is actually respected and a well articulated individual.

In fact he is the only Iowa fan I know that can type or speak words with more than two syllables... and I have been around D1 B1G wrestling in some capacity since the 1980s so I have seen a lot of Iowa fans, wrestlers, coaches, etc.

LOL,  Board Royalty,  Yeah I think I saw some of his finest posts in the HOF. I respect the dude. He's a long timer and a fine addition to the forum  But, I m no noob, I had  5500 posts on thematforums and it's many iterations,  I have seen great posters like JTTS,  Lewboo, KMF (before he outed himself) and countless others and some real boneheads like BIG  over the last 20 years, I have had multiple interactions with Vak over the years in several of the forums.  We were both regulars on the defunct MMA forums with the Cobra, Trip and countless others.  

I do agree he is one of the more articulate Iowa fans on the board.  Not trying to throw shade I seem to remember him being a lawyer.  

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Threadkilla said:

LOL,  Board Royalty,  Yeah I think I saw some of his finest posts in the HOF. I respect the dude. He's a long timer and a fine addition to the forum  But, I m no noob, I had  5500 posts on thematforums and it's many iterations,  I have seen great posters like JTTS,  Lewboo, KMF (before he outed himself) and countless others and some real boneheads like BIG  over the last 20 years, I have had multiple interactions with Vak over the years in several of the forums.  We were both regulars on the defunct MMA forums with the Cobra, Trip and countless others.  

I do agree he is one of the more articulate Iowa fans on the board.  Not trying to throw shade I seem to remember him being a lawyer.  

I was just trying to lighten the mood.  Less mocha cafe and more half vanilla creamer half cafe bustello.

I want to also make it very clear: I will be rooting for Messenbring against any non-B1G school and even many of the B1G schools.  I am a big fan of his, I just believe this is even more premature than the SVN and Haines 'NCAA OR BUST' mentality a few gents had on here.  That shit almost worked out for them, though - HFS.