• Playwire Ad Area

Butterfly beats its wings in Stillwater

jackwebster

When did the collapse of a dynasty begin:

1. Media-favorite Tyrone Lewis falls to Letters in 2004 finals.

2. Schlatter's brutal ride on Esposito in Schlatter/Esposito II 2006.

3. Jamal Parks wins a staring match lasting several years but the rules fail to recognize this dominance.

4. Undefeated Clayton Foster pinned in the 2011 finals after controlling the match. 

5. Jordan Oliver freezing up and  losing to freshman Stieber in the 2012 final after crushing him earlier in the year.

6. Gelogaev slips off Nelson in 2013 semi-finals.

7. Chris Perry's monomanical pursuit of "two" turns him into the most proficient staller of his era. His relatively action-packed final match  vs Howe only serves to remind fans what could have been. 

8. Jo Smith

?

1 hour ago, Perry said:

The decline really took off when the dean Heil rule was passed and a 2x national champ failed to even make the podium as a senior.

I think you might be right. The fact that I left Heil of my list is telling. The decline began slowly with just missed opportunities that could be explained away with bad luck or the competition having a really good team or tournament. But in the late 00's, some old and basic feature of Cowboy wrestling culture started to mutate when exposed to a new recruiting and poaching enviornment, e.g. the Hok-eyes and then Sanderson and then RTCs and now NIL.  The decline also coincided with the internet-fueled changes in technique and training practices. Again, something basic in Cowboy wrestling culture mutated under these conditions. Dean Heil's initial success was a product of this feature, but some malignancy was gestating the whole time. By his senior year, it was too late. What most of us didn't see was that the whole team -- stars, starters, room guys, and coaches -- fell victim to the same distemper. Now, they're dealing with the fall out. I don't see how they can recover.

5 hours ago, jackwebster said:

I think you might be right. The fact that I left Heil of my list is telling. The decline began slowly with just missed opportunities that could be explained away with bad luck or the competition having a really good team or tournament. But in the late 00's, some old and basic feature of Cowboy wrestling culture started to mutate when exposed to a new recruiting and poaching enviornment, e.g. the Hok-eyes and then Sanderson and then RTCs and now NIL.  The decline also coincided with the internet-fueled changes in technique and training practices. Again, something basic in Cowboy wrestling culture mutated under these conditions. Dean Heil's initial success was a product of this feature, but some malignancy was gestating the whole time. By his senior year, it was too late. What most of us didn't see was that the whole team -- stars, starters, room guys, and coaches -- fell victim to the same distemper. Now, they're dealing with the fall out. I don't see how they can recover.

Wasn’t OSU one of the trend setters of the “poaching environment” by getting Mocco away from Iowa?

• Fire 2

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

Hard to say Heil got a fair shake and I wouldn’t blame him in the slightest. He had a rule name changed after him because he was so prolific. While the majority of us are glad the rule came to be, it still stand that I t’s pretty hard to unlearn what made you a 2x national champ in just a few short months.

i am an idiot on the internet

Just now, jackwebster said:

Oh, yeah. He did. I saw him suited uop in Shreveport at the bowl game. But what I meant wss that he didn't stick around the Cowboy Wrestling Club or Gator or whatever it was at the time.

He helped train Zach Rey at Lehigh and with the RTC (Buxton) and then moved to Florida.

• Fire 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2023 at 9:06 PM, bnwtwg said:

Hard to say Heil got a fair shake and I wouldn’t blame him in the slightest. He had a rule name changed after him because he was so prolific. While the majority of us are glad the rule came to be, it still stand that I t’s pretty hard to unlearn what made you a 2x national champ in just a few short months.

Yeah, he was NCAA wrestling's Bob Gibson.