• Playwire Ad Area

The BIGGER one: IndianaU. vs Purdue

Southend

This year the match will be in west Lafayette. Last year in Bloomington, Purdue won 17-16, winning 2 out of the last 3 matches. PU has won the last 12 matches in the series. Wrestlestat is givin the Hoosiers a runaway W, 21-13. I’m not buying. Seems closer.  The 157 lb match being the marquee , Gilcher for IU and Coleman for PU 

• Fire 1

44 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

I should apologize here and now for wrongfully predicting Indiana would be at the bottom of the Big10 this year but they have beaten both Maryland and Purdue.  Maryland has beaten Pitt who has beaten Virginia Tech for the sake of comparison

Easy now! Don’t get carried away here!

6 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I should apologize here and now for wrongfully predicting Indiana would be at the bottom of the Big10 this year but they have beaten both Maryland and Purdue.  Maryland has beaten Pitt who has beaten Virginia Tech for the sake of comparison

Rutgers!  Hoosiers took the University of NJ too.  

Indiana has a *chance* to finish its B1G schedule at .500, something it hasn't done since 2009-10. 

IU is at or near the bottom of the B1G in resouces for the wrestling program. Getting them to a competitive (relatively, of course) position is a decent accomplishment. Angel gets his guys to compete hard. The trick is landing recruits talented enough to translate that work rate into podium finishes. 

The state of Indiana has produced some really talented wrestlers. Keeping them at the state's flagship institution would dramatically shift their fortunes. My guess is that it would take convincing a cohort of tops guys to come at the same time to really shift recruiting. Would also take at least some leap of faith. However, if I knew how to convince HS kids to join a program, I'd probably be on staff. 

Off the top of my head, these guys are the recent category of wrestler from Indiana that I'm referencing - could fill out a decent chunk of your roster with guys like this. 

Nick Lee, Penn State

Chad Red, Nebraska

Mason Parris, Michigan

Lucas Davison, Northwestern

Jesse Mendez, Ohio State

Brayton Lee, Minnesota

Silas Allred, Nebraska

Zeke Seltzer, Missouri

If you go back a bit more, add Jason Tsirtsis, Andrew Howe, Reece Humphrey, Angel Escobedo, etc. 

I think the potential is there...probably going to take a NIL booster to help it along. 

Edited by TylerDurden
I'm an idiot

Well , i doesn’t take a rocket scientist to deduce that the elite have avoided Indiana for several years. And , that if Indiana wants to be relevant in the BIG and produce AA’s , the coaches need to keep said elites in state or recruit equal talent from other states. I’t didn’t happen the last 7 to 8 years of Duane Goldmans era, and has continued thru Escobedo's reign . This is what will ultimately make or break this coaching staff. 

12 hours ago, Bulldog said:

He's going to have to get a big time exciting name on his staff to even get elite kids entertaining the Idea of Indiana.

As far as instate, I thought Jason Tsirtsis would have helped with that, I guess not the case (and now he's gone)

Having C.J. Red is big tho, he 100% draws folks in Indiana... 

10 minutes ago, nick said:

As far as instate, I thought Jason Tsirtsis would have helped with that, I guess not the case (and now he's gone)

Having C.J. Red is big tho, he 100% draws folks in Indiana... 

What makes Chad Red such a big draw? Because he was such a stud in high school? He was a very good college wrestler but many felt he was a bit underwhelming considering the accolades he came to Nebraska with.

If Escobedo and staff can convert any of these current kids to podium they will start getting some of the higher end in-state kids to stay home and if not their is plenty of talented out of state kids that would love a shot to scrap in the Big Ten. But it also starts with beating buzz schools or ranked schools like Maryland, Rutgers, Princeton & instate basically daddy at this point Purdue 

5 hours ago, Gus said:

What makes Chad Red such a big draw? Because he was such a stud in high school? He was a very good college wrestler but many felt he was a bit underwhelming considering the accolades he came to Nebraska with.

At least in Indiana, he would be the guy kids coming up watched growing up (to a degree). He did it with a ton of swag too

None of my kids remember Tsirtis, but you ask them about Red, they all know. I would say the same for the coaches, everyone knows his dad and at the coaches clinic this year, I would say he was the biggest draw this year (in which every Indiana college was represented, including Purdue)