• Playwire Ad Area

If you are 23 or older when AA or win NCAAs

Dark Energy

20 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

There should be an asterisk next to the win.  Basically too old to be competing against 17 and 18 year olds.  Should be noted.

That's a lot of asterisks!

Current top guys:

125 Lee 24 *

133 RBY 24 *

141 AlLIREZ (Class of 2019) ?

149 Yianni 23*

157 Robb Class of 2018?

165 O'TOOLE 21

174 Starocci was 22 over the summer ??? Wonder when his birthday is?

184 Brooks 23

197 Dean Class of 1987*****

285 Mason Parris 23**

So of the #1s only O'Toole will be definitely be under 23 by this years nationals.  Maybe Robb (but probably not), maybe Starocci, maybe Alirez.

It isn't going to get much better in the next couple of years.  

Then we have the crop of 17 year old high school freshmen coming up in a few years, too.

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken
  • Fire 4

This isn't really a new phenomenon.  Greg Ruth was a double champ for Oklahoma back in 1965 and 1966.  There must be some interesting back story to his career.  He graduate high school in 1958 having never won PA state.  He was 2nd at 145 in 1957.  In 1958 and 159 he attending Lehigh and finished 4th at EIWAs at 157lbs in 1959.  Then he took 5 years off and transferred to Oklahoma where he won a title at 167lbs in 1965 before dropping to 160lbs and winning a second title in 1966.  He had to be at least 26 when he won the second title. Of course back then 1st year students weren't allowed to compete so maybe he wasn't beating 17 and 18 year olds in 1966.

• Fire 3

This is why I really enjoyed rooting for Hamiti last year as a true freshman who had been in high school the year prior.  

Also major props to Spencer Moore at UNC last year who started at 125 at 17 years old after skipping a year of high school during covid.  He wrestled Liam Cronin at one point who was old enough to be his babysitter

• Fire 5

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Current top guys:

125 Lee 24 *

133 RBY 24 *

149 Yianni 23*

157 Robb Class of 2018?

165 O'TOOLE 21

184 Brooks 23

285 Mason Parris 23**

So of the #1s only O'Toole will be definitely be under 23 by this years nationals.  Maybe Robb (but probably not), maybe Starocci, maybe Alirez.

Then we have the crop of 17 year old high school freshmen coming up in a few years, too.

IaW with the goods.

Is WKN off today and IaW is filling in?

Dean Class of 87?  I swear I saw him there back in the early 70s.

Edited by BerniePragle

43 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

This is why I really enjoyed rooting for Hamiti last year as a true freshman who had been in high school the year prior.  

Also major props to Spencer Moore at UNC last year who started at 125 at 17 years old after skipping a year of high school during covid.  He wrestled Liam Cronin at one point who was old enough to be his babysitter

I think it was actually on Cronin's 24th birthday!

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, BerniePragle said:

IaW with the goods.

Is WKN off today and IaW is filling in?

Dean Class of 87?  I swear I saw him there back in the early 70s.

PSU fans enjoy getting their digs in at how "old" Iowa teams have been.  This current crop of PSU "kids" aren't going to be young if they finish their eligibility!

30 minutes ago, manatree said:

If college classes are open to older students, why shouldn't college sports be open to older student athletes?

I think that is fine, but there should be some limits on it.  The mission of all Colleges and Universities are tied to education.  It makes sense to have the education open to all students regardless of age and for a long period of time.  Studying at a university for 10 years plus is entirely justified by the mission. That could be 4-5 years for a Bachelors degree and 5-6 years for a Phd.  Those are completely normal.  Athletics started as just some activity for students to do in free time whilst pursuing education.  I get the line of thinking that if a student wants to do some some campus activity during that time they should be able to.  But with all the money in D1 athletics you have to put some limits on it or else it is just hard to justify allowing an athlete to stick around 10 years pursuing an athletic career whilst doing a minimum amount of education on the side. 

Does Tanner Hall get twelve asterisks then?  Wasn't he ~41 with another year left when No-Neck Schultzy decided to come on and compete for the Sunkist gents?

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

1 hour ago, manatree said:

If college classes are open to older students, why shouldn't college sports be open to older student athletes?

University & college exist for the purpose of education.  Why should age matter or the number of degrees earned as long as you are working toward degree requirements and willing to pay?

But a counter point, what if you really like coloring with crayons, should you be allowed to stay in kindergarten for 3 to 4 years?

14 minutes ago, ionel said:

University & college exist for the purpose of education.  Why should age matter or the number of degrees earned as long as you are working toward degree requirements and willing to pay?

But a counter point, what if you really like coloring with crayons, should you be allowed to stay in kindergarten for 3 to 4 years?

Yes.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

1 hour ago, ionel said:

Jethro?

6 hours ago, Dark Energy said:

There should be an asterisk next to the win.  Basically too old to be competing against 17 and 18 year olds.  Should be noted.

Why? 18 year olds are wrestling 35 year olds in international competition.

5 years with a redshirt would be 23 years old... completely within the normal schedule. 

I have seen a lot of young guys come in as freshman and knock off seniors. Happens all the time.

If 17 year olds are actually competing on their college team during the season then they graduated young for whatever reason. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

6 hours ago, fishbane said:

This isn't really a new phenomenon.  Greg Ruth was a double champ for Oklahoma back in 1965 and 1966.  There must be some interesting back story to his career.  He graduate high school in 1958 having never won PA state.  He was 2nd at 145 in 1957.  In 1958 and 159 he attending Lehigh and finished 4th at EIWAs at 157lbs in 1959.  Then he took 5 years off and transferred to Oklahoma where he won a title at 167lbs in 1965 before dropping to 160lbs and winning a second title in 1966.  He had to be at least 26 when he won the second title. Of course back then 1st year students weren't allowed to compete so maybe he wasn't beating 17 and 18 year olds in 1966.

I'd hazard a guess he entered military service which qualifies for waiver on your eligibility clock.  Lots were volunteering for military services to avoid being drafted into the Army.  ....and there were those that enlisted in the Army.

9 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Current top guys:

125 Lee 24 *

133 RBY 24 *

149 Yianni 23*

157 Robb Class of 2018?

165 O'TOOLE 21

184 Brooks 23

285 Mason Parris 23**

Elam is #1 at 197 and is the same age as O’Toole.

16 hours ago, jagger712 said:

You'd be hard-pressed to find many 17 or 18 year olds in college wrestling when most are nearly 19 when they graduate high school

Maybe, but those sort of shenannigans are a mug's game. Holding-back goes along with all the other fantasy mongering perpetrated by folks like the Manville clan. Those fools spend more money angling for f*cking nonexistent wrestling scholarships than it would take to get their kid a couple of tutors and pay for an ivy league education outright.

4 hours ago, jackwebster said:

Maybe, but those sort of shenannigans are a mug's game. Holding-back goes along with all the other fantasy mongering perpetrated by folks like the Manville clan. Those fools spend more money angling for f*cking nonexistent wrestling scholarships than it would take to get their kid a couple of tutors and pay for an ivy league education outright.

The main thing holding a kid back in 8th grade does is just make them more ready for high school wrestling , it has pros and cons…I was young for a 9th grader and got my ass beat by a lot of older dudes all year long , had a losing record and almost quit ( I didn’t have close to a losing record any year pre high school, the rest of high school , nor in college ) so that really rocked my confidence and being an adult now I know I would’ve greatly benefited from staying back that year like some of my teammates did , and it would probably have helped 4 later when I get to college as well