• Playwire Ad Area

Iowa vs Wisconsin on BTN Sunday, January 22, 2021

jerseywrestling

Ref blew another call imo. He awarded Hamiti an ESC and then when Hamiti shot back in he waived off the ESC. Once you make that call and the wrestler can hear it and reacts to it then you shouldn't waive it off. I mean, ref thought it was an ESC, so it was an ESC. The fact he shot right back ... Hamiti was penalized there. 

That call on the pin was lightening quick. Touch fall, not 1 second at all. 

Edited by Pinnacle
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Pa in Taiwan said:

This is true, but next Friday night against Steen it won't make much of a difference. I don't see it going to the 3rd period, and Spencer Lee will have enough gas in the tank (money in his wallet) to get the tech or pin in the 1st or 2nd period. 

Woods comes out really strong in the 1st period, and he DOES burn up too much energy quickly. Now that doesn't matter when you can rack up 7 or 8 points early and put things out of reach, but that's not always going to be the case. Next Friday against Bartlett, this could be the weakness that Cael will capitalize on. Bartlett is a smart wrestler, and he seems to wrestle all three periods. He has a gas tank. I'm interested in seeing how the third period plays out between Bartlett and Woods. I won't be surprised at all to see a gassed Woods give up points and even the match in the third. 

That is odd. The first quote is from @SocraTease not me.

As for Steen next week, I have already said my prayers for his personal safety. After watching him wrestle twice I will say he is game, but boy does he lack horsepower. I have seen him get to a leg, but just not be able to get close to pulling it in. As a matter of fact, he repeatedly gave up points when he was in a much better position to score. Lacking horsepower against Spencer Lee is not an enviable position to be in.

As a PSU fan, I feel Spencer Lee is appointment viewing because he is just so dominant and there are only two months left in his college career.

As for Woods v Bartlett. Woods loves the two on one almost as much as Austin DeSanto loved getting to RBY's arm. I will be interested to see what, if any, tactics the PSU staff comes up with to counter that move. I do feel Woods is the better wrestler, but PSU wrestlers are better coached. One of my take aways from today's dual is that Iowa wrestlers do not have high wrestling IQs.

• Fire 2

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

5 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

And he says "print that" lol.  The way he talks about not hanging and stuff - you can tell it comes from his heart and it resonates with me actually although I'm not a big fan of the guy

I don't know what oil the fuss is about.

5 minutes ago, MNRodent said:

I don't know what oil the fuss is about.

oiled up. To become "well lubricated" consuming alcoholic beverages. To get boozey. I like to drink a few Miller Lites, get oiled up, and crank up my favorite ...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So you are openly admitting that when people you don't like get cheated you think its ok?

Where did I say that I think it’s OK? Please, tell me.

Finding the hypocrisy funny is not a judgement on the correctness of the officiating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, flyingcement said:

And he says "print that" lol.  The way he talks about not hanging and stuff - you can tell it comes from his heart and it resonates with me actually although I'm not a big fan of the guy

Oh...I dislike the Brands and it's impossible to not respect the passion they have for the sport and the way they wrestled, the way they coach. 

I will say look at Hillger and look at Cass. 

Both athletic and "undersized" HWTs coming in. I'd say Hillger was the more athletic guy. Not sure I'd say more talented because that's too vague, but...well, I guess athletically gifted is good enough. Wrestling is a sport where you can take that and work your way to being great...which brings me to the difference between these two.

Cass went, remade his body, went from basically Hillger now to a guy who looks like he's got Matt Brown(the '74 for PSU) type build, just 60 pounds heavier...while Hillger, who was an awesome athlete at ~225 was your typical tweener. He went and ate 12,000 calories a day and just put on a gut. So...I guess it's nice he doesn't get turned more now, but he's lost a lot of his quickness.

So I don't know if Hillger was oiled up or if he just sweats like a guy who went from 220 to 260 and it appears it's shown up all as a half barrel in his belly. 

Look at Davidson from NU?  It'd be great if everyone was 6'5 and could weigh 270 at HWT like Mason Parris, but I don't see how adding all that bad weight has helped him. 

11 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

Oh...I dislike the Brands and it's impossible to not respect the passion they have for the sport and the way they wrestled, the way they coach. 

I will say look at Hillger and look at Cass. 

Both athletic and "undersized" HWTs coming in. I'd say Hillger was the more athletic guy. Not sure I'd say more talented because that's too vague, but...well, I guess athletically gifted is good enough. Wrestling is a sport where you can take that and work your way to being great...which brings me to the difference between these two.

Cass went, remade his body, went from basically Hillger now to a guy who looks like he's got Matt Brown(the '74 for PSU) type build, just 60 pounds heavier...while Hillger, who was an awesome athlete at ~225 was your typical tweener. He went and ate 12,000 calories a day and just put on a gut. So...I guess it's nice he doesn't get turned more now, but he's lost a lot of his quickness.

So I don't know if Hillger was oiled up or if he just sweats like a guy who went from 220 to 260 and it appears it's shown up all as a half barrel in his belly. 

Look at Davidson from NU?  It'd be great if everyone was 6'5 and could weigh 270 at HWT like Mason Parris, but I don't see how adding all that bad weight has helped him. 

Hillger did lose to Lewis Fernandes at NCAA's last year and beat him this year.  That looks to be the only result that's flipped from last year.

4 hours ago, Pinnacle said:

Ref blew another call imo. He awarded Hamiti an ESC and then when Hamiti shot back in he waived off the ESC. Once you make that call and the wrestler can hear it and reacts to it then you shouldn't waive it off. I mean, ref thought it was an ESC, so it was an ESC. The fact he shot right back ... Hamiti was penalized there. 

That call on the pin was lightening quick. Touch fall, not 1 second at all. 

I get what you're saying, but I don't think Hamiti actually heard it and then attacked because he thought he had the 1. 

I don't know why UW didn't challenge that as it would have put Hamiti on his feet and wiped off the riding time not that it ended up mattering, but it felt like the longer Hamiti had, the better the chances he was gonna get a TD and NF.

I do agree though, Hamiti was penalized for his quick re-shot. Hamiti needs to find a way to create his own offense rather than get into scrambles. 

He reminds me a bit of Henning. Not a ton of offense on his feet(vs elite guys), but he was one of the first guys who really used others shots to pass the ankle and then come out and score on their shot.

Still should have beaten that Paulson but the ref stopped it when he was coming out the back. The early days of that particularly type of scramble. At least on a regular basis. I've seen Gerry Abas and Kolat pull it out(looking back in videos) but he kinda perfected scoring off it.

13 hours ago, SocraTease said:

Lee is a total and complete first period wrestler. 

If you get him to the 2nd or 3rd period and can ride, you have an outside chance.

He spends all his money in the first period

He does spend more money than everyone else in the first period, in that most college wrestlers conserve energy in the long 3 minute period and he goes all out from the whistle.  His being tired directly correlates with a typical 10+ point lead, which you can't get against a top ranked D1 wrestler without spending energy.  

So the strategy you mention is usually going to involve needing big points to win which i dont see happening by riding.  Mueller tried that after massacring Rivera with his ride and even got a cradle locked up -- and never got close to turning Lee (in a match where Lee tore an ACL). He gave up a very quick count 2 NF today but wasn't in real danger.

I actually do think there is one tiny chance to beat him, which is to pin him in a scrambling type situation, not off a regular ride.  He got pinned off a takedown by Picc and then against Purdue was pretty close to getting deckedn after a throw.  That's the only way I see him losing. No one can outscore him.

7 hours ago, scourge165 said:

I get what you're saying, but I don't think Hamiti actually heard it and then attacked because he thought he had the 1. 

I don't know why UW didn't challenge that as it would have put Hamiti on his feet and wiped off the riding time not that it ended up mattering, but it felt like the longer Hamiti had, the better the chances he was gonna get a TD and NF.

I do agree though, Hamiti was penalized for his quick re-shot. Hamiti needs to find a way to create his own offense rather than get into scrambles. 

He reminds me a bit of Henning. Not a ton of offense on his feet(vs elite guys), but he was one of the first guys who really used others shots to pass the ankle and then come out and score on their shot.

Still should have beaten that Paulson but the ref stopped it when he was coming out the back. The early days of that particularly type of scramble. At least on a regular basis. I've seen Gerry Abas and Kolat pull it out(looking back in videos) but he kinda perfected scoring off it.

Henning must have been paying attention to fellow Wisconsinite Askren, who was already a 2x finalist when Henning achieved AA status with 8th place in 2006. Not sure I’d say he perfected the pass the ankle scramble, but was more of an early adopter of Askren’s sport-changing innovations with scrambling. 

12 hours ago, scourge165 said:

I only said it half joking that Hamiti shot because he heard the ref call the 1. It just irks me that refs make the call for the ESC and then walk it back based on what happens after they have decided on the 1. You ever see this on a call for a FALL? Same ref could have waived off his own FALL based on the same logic he used to waive off his ESC, but that never happens.

The solution is to not give the 1pt until you are certain it happened, and once you call it then it stands. 

• Fire 2

13 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

I only said it half joking that Hamiti shot because he heard the ref call the 1. It just irks me that refs make the call for the ESC and then walk it back based on what happens after they have decided on the 1. You ever see this on a call for a FALL? Same ref could have waived off his own FALL based on the same logic he used to waive off his ESC, but that never happens.

The solution is to not give the 1pt until you are certain it happened, and once you call it then it stands. 

That's obviously what should happen, but it's not uncommon for calls to be waived off. See it on takedown a lot. The refs seem to anticipate what's going to happen and make the call a hair early. Sometimes it's the wrong call. Doesn't make it right, but I'm sure it's an easy mistake to make.