• Playwire Ad Area

Most shocking PIN of a great wrestler?

Jimmy Cinnabon

11 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Brock is a good one. What ever happened to that kid?

OSU happened to him: injured; cut too much weight; routinely gave up 2-minute ride-outs; backed up on his feet; couldn't get out of his own head, etc. He was part of that little snowball at the top of the mountain that started rolling and eventually lead to the avalanche of mediocrity that we see today.

Edited by jackwebster
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Lambrecht! (Not trying to be a jerk; was having trouble remembering the guys name too)

Correct. Here's Albrecht's contribution to the sport (from his Knight, Death, and the Devil, 1513):

ms-26-232-23r-a608df31267c33ec.png

Edited by jackwebster
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, BerniePragle said:

Looking at those pictures, I'm very grateful I wrestled after clothing was mandatory.  Not much after though.

Yep, the Ancient Greeks wrestled and trained in the raw (nude).  Here's some further information from a Wiki source:

Greek athletes were the few athletes in the ancient world who practiced and competed naked. Homer's wrestlers in Iliad wore loincloths, but shortly after the Age of Homer, Greek athletes started to strip. It is not known why. Pausanias says athletes wanted to imitate Orsippos of Megara, a runner who won a footrace at Olympia in 720 BC after losing his loincloth. Dionysios of Halikarnassos and Thucydides credited a Spartan with the custom.

Other legends say that a runner tripped on his loincloth and officials banned it as unsafe. Some say that athletes stripped to prove that they were males, or because they could run better in the nude. Other reasons have been given: athletes stripped for erotic reasons, or for cult reasons, or for good luck, or as a democratic equalizer. Some say they stripped because they were proud of their muscular bodies and their tans.

The Greeks called the penis a "dog". Athletes sometimes used a cord called a "dog leash" to tie off the foreskin of the penis. It is unknown if this custom had sexual or aesthetic meanings. It appears to have been a matter of personal preference. Tying the foreskin is sometimes a subject in vase painting.

220px-Silver_stater_obverse_Aspendos_Met

There's some great answers here.... brings back a lot of memories as I witnesses most of those pins....quite a few, but back let's back up one level to high school ......Dapper Dan Classic ....two 4 time state champions....Ty Moore pins eventual 3 time NCAA Champion T.J. Jaworski in maybe 39 seconds.

• Fire 1

5 hours ago, Fadzaev2 said:

There's some great answers here.... brings back a lot of memories as I witnesses most of those pins....quite a few, but back let's back up one level to high school ......Dapper Dan Classic ....two 4 time state champions....Ty Moore pins eventual 3 time NCAA Champion T.J. Jaworski in maybe 39 seconds.

To state the obvious, Gus DeAugustino had some great teams.

5 hours ago, jackwebster said:

To state the obvious, Gus DeAugustino had some great teams.

Gus and I were good friends...at one NCAA he had 3 guys in the same weight....Ray Brinzer, Rich Catalano and Ken Bauer.  I was also at the North Alleghany/St. Eds dual when Alan Fried moved up a couple of weights to wrestle Catalano and lost, but it was still a good match....Alan was very special, but the size difference was just too much.

13 hours ago, MPhillips said:

Al was a badass wrestler.

Nickal pinning Myles still hurts. Much like Conel pinning Kollin Moore.

Alan was one of the greatest high school wrestlers of all time along with Cary Kolat and Brent Metcalf, Mark Hall....one or two more

Edited by Fadzaev2
  • Fire 2

Just now, Fadzaev2 said:

Gus and I were good friends...at one NCAA he had 3 guys in the same weight....Ray Brinzer, Rich Catalano and Ken Bauer.  I was also at the North Alleghany/St. Eds dual when Alan Fried moved up a couple of weights to wrestle Catalano and lost, but it was still a good match....Alan was very special, but the size difference was just too much.

I met him a few times at Mike Deanna's summer camps and then went on a recruiting trip to Duquesne. I often wish I had taken a chance on that school .

11 minutes ago, Fadzaev2 said:

Alan was one of the greatest high school wrestlers of all time along with Cary Kolat and Brent Metcalf, Mark Hall....one or two more

He was. We wrestled on an Ohio team back in the early eighties. Couple years younger than me, but he was a badass in the 6th grade too.💪

12 hours ago, Fadzaev2 said:

Ty and TJ ended up as teammates at UNC. Think Moore made blood round once while Jaworsky as you noted was a 3x champ. Moore’s younger brother Teague later won a title for Oklahoma St, which is where Jaworsky started his college career. 

• Fire 1