• Playwire Ad Area

The Turk - an underutilized technique

Crotalus

I was watching highlights of this weekend duals on YouTube.  During one of the matches the announcer said one wrestler was going to look for a turk as they were finishing a takedown, and then the guy just didn't try and turk at all. It made me realize how often I see guys in perfect position to hook the leg for a turk but rarely see them actually do it. It's a great way to get some easy back points and even catch your breath a bit if you need to, and there is nearly zero risk unless you get really overzealous as your opponents only defense is to belly down. 

This is not a high level technique. If I coached at any age level I would emphasize always looking to finish a double leg position with a turk. 

Why isn't this used more often? Are there other moves or techniques you often see wrestlers in perfect position for but rarely utilize?

16 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

The Turk can be used to hurt an opponent's back, like a bow and arrow.  It should be made illegal.

The leg turk is a simple step though on the bottom leg after the takedown and is perfectly legal and should be kept that way. Many moves can be used to injure and opponent - that is why they have potentially dangerous calls. Wrestling is hard. 

• Fire 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

I see it used a decent amount...... but I also see the missed opportunities as well. Absolutely it should be something to look for off the takedown finish. 

Rarely is too strong of a word, but definitely underutilized. I feel like I see the fat boys use it more often, but it works for any weight. 

1 hour ago, Formally140 said:

Coaches are also starting to teach guys to circle to the legs on the finish to avoid the leg pass, or even to deliberately hit their hip

Is there much danger of a leg pass at that point? You could still hook the leg even if you hit your hip to keep the opponent from grabbing your other ankle, especially if your opponent refuses to belly down. 

14 minutes ago, Idaho said:

The leg turk is a simple step though on the bottom leg after the takedown and is perfectly legal and should be kept that way. Many moves can be used to injure and opponent - that is why they have potentially dangerous calls. Wrestling is hard. 

You took the bait. But since we're talking about it, the bow and arrow type finish is a great way to work towards a fall after getting your NF count. 

My girlfriend in college was always asking me to demonstrate the turk on her, she'd belly down on the bed and say, 

"Please show me that turk move, MedicineMan."  I had to oblige.  I never used it in a match though.  I still have a photo of her. 

Good memories...

med man's girl

• Fire 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, MedicineMan said:

My girlfriend in college was always asking me to demonstrate the turk on her, she'd belly down on the bed and say, 

"Please show me that turk move, MedicineMan."  I had to oblige.  I never used it in a match though.  I still have a photo of her. 

Good memories...

med man's girl

Funny. I dated the same girl also in college.