• Playwire Ad Area

Worlds 2023

cowcards

19 hours ago, Cherkov said:

I don't care so much where it is, but it would be nice to actually have a tournament where all the strongest wrestlers show up. We haven't seen that since 2021 Tokyo and it's not looking good so far.  

Other than Russia and Belarus being excluded for pretty obvious reasons like expediting the globe into a recession via war, who didn't show up to worlds two months ago?

i am an idiot on the internet

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

Other than Russia and Belarus being excluded for pretty obvious reasons like expediting the globe into a recession via war, who didn't show up to worlds two months ago?

"other than the best wrestling country in the world who wasn't there"

2 hours ago, Cherkov said:

"other than the best wrestling country in the world who wasn't there"

I'm with you and am on the record at the old watering hole that 2020 worlds and 2021 worlds were mickey mouse titles. that will always have asterisks. But it's not going to change anytime soon unless there is significant global political change a la Russia withdrawing from war with Ukraine.

i am an idiot on the internet

On 11/17/2022 at 10:21 AM, mspart said:

When I was in Istanbul years ago, I was there for 6 weeks.   When I started it was roughly 80000 lira to the dollar.   When I left, it was roughly 125000 lira to the dollar.   That is a 50% inflation in 6 weeks.  That was a long time ago.   Stuff was generally cheap for a visitor but not for the folks that live there.   If you deposited money in dollars at the bank you could get 3% interest.  If it was in lira, you got 50% interest or something like that.    And that is losing value over time.   Just crazy.

mspart

Mike, yes the beer is dirt cheap! Not that Bud isn't here...

mspart, yes it's truly beyond belief that the central bank which used to be autonomous, independent of any party, finally has come under the control of this one man regime. Pure lunacy, the way he has consistently slashed interest rates despite staggeringly high inflation. Turks will get rid of him soon. 

The worlds can be anywhere really. Without Russia, it doesn't feel right anyway. I feel bad for Sadulaev, Vlasov, Musaev etc...none of them  ethnically Russian. And the "Russian" wrestlers as well.