• Playwire Ad Area

U.S.A. at Henri Deglane

MPhillips

1 hour ago, LJB said:

i was told once what USAW working budget was (albeit from about 10 years ago)... 

if what i was told was correct, the number is shockingly low...

i also know what a greco national team member was being given as a stipend last year...

again, shockingly low...

You'll be even more pissed if you look at total executive compensation at USAW.

• Fire 1

44 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

You'll be even more pissed if you look at total executive compensation at USAW.

which is precisely why i have not looked a second time...

that path leads towards damnation...

2 hours ago, mspart said:

Why doesn't everyone show up to these tourneys?   That's my point.   Steel sharpens steel.  That sort of thing.   I get the injury angle, I would just like to see more wrestling in the international circuit. 

Lack of prize money- by far the number one reason. 

They are not essential for the established wrestlers to get ready for big events. Especially if you have high level domestic training partners. 

It also doesn't help that most of these tournaments disappear after a cycle, so they're never around long enough to develop an identity. 

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Most? Is that true? 

Not a cycle, I exaggerated for convenience. But yes most of the current tournaments are much younger than the posters here and most of ones from the 70s, 80s are no longer around. Tbilisi used to be a big tournament, gone. 

Some may carry a name, but new location, management, and dubious connections to the previous event. 

• Fire 1

42 minutes ago, Cherkov said:

Not a cycle, I exaggerated for convenience. But yes most of the current tournaments are much younger than the posters here and most of ones from the 70s, 80s are no longer around. Tbilisi used to be a big tournament, gone. 

Some may carry a name, but new location, management, and dubious connections to the previous event. 

That's what I thought. 

What major tournaments are no longer around that were prominent twenty/thirty years ago?

6 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

That's what I thought. 

What major tournaments are no longer around that were prominent twenty/thirty years ago?

Tbilisi and Poddubny were major tournaments that are no longer relevant that I'm aware of. It's hard to say because so many tournaments during that previous time period were poorly archived. A lot of them would have also been one offs for tours and those sorts of events. Many Soviet related tournaments are obviously also gone. 

On 1/16/2023 at 1:28 PM, LJB said:

i was told once what USAW working budget was (albeit from about 10 years ago)... 

if what i was told was correct, the number is shockingly low...

i also know what a greco national team member was being given as a stipend last year...

again, shockingly low...

Quite a while back, some of my buddies lived with a greco national team member.  Very low stipend, and I would be surprised if it has gone up much since.

Smoothcomp is such an awful UX. It looks like it was built in Figma by an engineer who has never seen a bracket. The only strong experience is mat scheduling so you can forecast as a coach/athlete/viewer. Everything else makes my head hurt.

i am an idiot on the internet

Anyone know what happened to Kennedy Blades?  She pinned one opponent, then was pinned herself and forfeited the third match.

Hope she isn't injured.  That girl has some talent, though she is up a weight class or two now.  

Kennedy Blades, 76kg - Did not place

• Round Robin 1: Pinned Taylor Follensbee, CAN
  • Round Robin 2: Pinned by Elmira Syzdykova, KAZ
  • Round Robin 3: Forfeited to Laura Kuehn, GER