• Playwire Ad Area

Princeton over ASU

Antitroll2828

165: #4 Quincy Monday (P) wins by fall over Rene Fragoso (AS), 0:54; Princeton leads 6-0
174: Kole Mulhauser (P) wins by decision over Cael Valencia (AS), 8-3; Princeton leads 9-0
184: Nate Dugan (P) wins by decision over #21 Anthony Montalvo (AS), 3-2: Princeton leads 12-0
197: #20 Luke Stout (P) wins by decision over Jonathon Fagen (AS), 8-3: Princeton leads 15-0
285: Travis Stefanik (P) wins by decision over David Palosik (AS), 2-1; Princeton leads 18-0
125: #2 Patrick Glory (P) wins by decision over #6 Brandon Courtney (AS), 8-3: Princeton leads 21-0
133: #4 Michael McGee (AS) wins by technical fall over Sean Pierson (P), 20-3, 4:10; Princeton leads 21-5
141: #22 Jesse Vasquez (AS) wins by major decision over Danny Coles (P), 11-3; Princeton leads 21-9
149: #6 Kyle Parco (AS) wins by decision over Marshall Keller (P), 12-5; Princeton leads 21-12
157: Ty Whalen (P) wins by decision over Max Wilner (AS), 7-3; Princeton wins 24-12

• Fire 4

Surprised by this result....Even with Norfleet and Shultz in the lineup the tie would have went to Princeton I believe. This two days after Oregon State handled Princeton. Are Negron, Norfleet and Schultz injured right now? Haven't seen Norfleet in awhile. 

• Fire 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

2 hours ago, Idaho said:

Surprised by this result....Even with Norfleet and Shultz in the lineup the tie would have went to Princeton I believe. This two days after Oregon State handled Princeton. Are Negron, Norfleet and Schultz injured right now? Haven't seen Norfleet in awhile. 

I think they took Negron out of the lineup to avoid another shelling. He’s a gone through the gauntlet as of late. Norfleet must still be coming back from the concussion he got in Vegas. 

9 hours ago, RegularStalling said:

Is it just me, or is Zeke using this lineup controversy as a way to shield Figueroa? If Figs was to go into the tournament 20-0 with his best win being Kaylor (hypothetically) and Ramos, what type of seed would he get?

I don’t see that. Courtney is a very good wrestler, AA, ncaa finalist, local product and a 6th year senior. He has meant a lot to the program. I don’t see Courtney beating Figs. But Figs offense hasn’t been as sharp as of late. If it’s 50/50 between the two, you have to roll with Figs. He means too much to the future of the program. 

12 hours ago, Idaho said:

This team is missing Pendleton. Zeke should have moved on into a role with Sunkist and ASU on the side. Keeping Pendleton with the team as head coach. Plus they haven’t filled that void that was left. Also, Schultz misses a lot of time with the team and completion fir his Greco career. He is a great person that does great things. I think he needs to be around alot more. You can see how it affects his wrestling in college. 

20 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

How much time has he missed since the college season began?

How many matches or how much time? He was out of the country in September and October. It’s a tough situation. I want to say it again though. He is an awesome person and great teammate.

33 minutes ago, SunDevil said:

This team is missing Pendleton. Zeke should have moved on into a role with Sunkist and ASU on the side. Keeping Pendleton with the team as head coach. Plus they haven’t filled that void that was left. Also, Schultz misses a lot of time with the team and completion fir his Greco career. He is a great person that does great things. I think he needs to be around alot more. You can see how it affects his wrestling in college. 

ASU fans seemed pretty excited when Molinaro and Thompson came to ASU.  I don't see Zeke leaving for a long time. ASU seems tired and worn out right now.  Schultz just seems like a guy who is done with college wrestling and wants to focus on Greco now. 

10 hours ago, RegularStalling said:

Is it just me, or is Zeke using this lineup controversy as a way to shield Figueroa? If Figs was to go into the tournament 20-0 with his best win being Kaylor (hypothetically) and Ramos, what type of seed would he get?

53 minutes ago, SunDevil said:

I don’t see that. Courtney is a very good wrestler, AA, ncaa finalist, local product and a 6th year senior. He has meant a lot to the program. I don’t see Courtney beating Figs. But Figs offense hasn’t been as sharp as of late. If it’s 50/50 between the two, you have to roll with Figs. He means too much to the future of the program. 

At this point I don't see that Figs has legit earned the spot. @RegularStalling makes a fair point... Courtney has faced the better competition in Glory and Barnett - his two losses. His common opponents Ungar and Surtin he beat soundly where Figs went to TB with Ungar and a 2 point win over Surtin.  In comparing the two performances, Courtney has performed better. I get that Figs is the future, but that doesn't necessarily gain him the spot if he is not the better wrestler, however Zeke did  go with the future  when he put Chlebove in at the PAC-12 ...and he finished last. I would be interested to see what a 2 out of 3 wrestle off would look like between the two or if that is even a consideration for the spot. 

• Fire 1

17 minutes ago, Idaho said:

At this point I don't see that Figs has legit earned the spot. @RegularStalling makes a fair point... Courtney has faced the better competition in Glory and Barnett - his two losses. His common opponents Ungar and Surtin he beat soundly where Figs went to TB with Ungar and a 2 point win over Surtin.  In comparing the two performances, Courtney has performed better. I get that Figs is the future, but that doesn't necessarily gain him the spot if he is not the better wrestler, however Zeke did  go with the future  when he put Chlebove in at the PAC-12 ...and he finished last. I would be interested to see what a 2 out of 3 wrestle off would look like between the two or if that is even a consideration for the spot. 

I don’t see this situation remotely close to the Chlebove situation. Reminds me more of the Kraus CPag situation where he went with the Sr. The track record with the school much different in this case. In this case. Both guys are too good not to have a 2/3 wrestle off. Imagine they will have more than one before it’s all said and done. 

Edited by SunDevil

38 minutes ago, SunDevil said:

How many matches or how much time? He was out of the country in September and October. It’s a tough situation. I want to say it again though. He is an awesome person and great teammate.

I'm aware of his competitions. I was curious how much 'team time' he missed?

16 minutes ago, SunDevil said:

I don’t see this situation remotely close to the Chlebove situation. Reminds me more of the Kraus CPag situation where he went with the Sr. The track record with the school much different in this case. In this case. Both guys are too good not to have a 2/3 wrestle off. Imagine they will have more than one before it’s all said and done. 

I agree, It's not the same in terms of the competition level of both wrestlers and did have the same stakes as now.  However the principle is the same - Jones went with the younger, lower performing wrestler rather than the guy who had a legit shot at qualifying for the NCAA. This time the stakes are much higher. You can make a case that Figs is the future, so does Jones leave Courtney behind who has been an AA and  has actually outperformed Figs? At the end of the day,  Courtney has outperformed Figs to this point despite his two losses to highly ranked opponents. One thing is certain, I'm glad I'm not in charge of the situation. 

10 minutes ago, Idaho said:

I agree, It's not the same in terms of the competition level of both wrestlers and did have the same stakes as now.  However the principle is the same - Jones went with the younger, lower performing wrestler rather than the guy who had a legit shot at qualifying for the NCAA. This time the stakes are much higher. You can make a case that Figs is the future, so does Jones leave Courtney behind who has been an AA and  has actually outperformed Figs? At the end of the day,  Courtney has outperformed Figs to this point despite his two losses to highly ranked opponents. One thing is certain, I'm glad I'm not in charge of the situation. 

I would say with the Ramos win, Figs has out performed Courtney this year. W is a W vs like opponents. I don’t consider score much. But I haven’t gotten any info on their H2H results. It’s a very tight sticky situation.