• Playwire Ad Area

Burwick

MNRodent

I knew that After May 1 you couldn't enter the Portal. 

I did not know that you could still enter the Portal but, "lose the next year of eligibility."

How does a kid get into the Portal without knowing or a mention of, "loss of the next year of eligibility?" Isn't there paperwork or a 'check this box' if you understand or something?

• Fire 1

Tough situation but it’s not that difficult to do your own research to see what the dates and requirements are for transferring. I hope the Wisconsin coaches do the right thing but I don’t like that he didn’t take any responsibility. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, MPhillips said:

I knew that After May 1 you couldn't enter the Portal. 

I did not know that you could still enter the Portal but, "lose the next year of eligibility."

How does a kid get into the Portal without knowing or a mention of, "loss of the next year of eligibility?" Isn't there paperwork or a 'check this box' if you understand or something?

Pretty sure that the school actually puts the student-athlete in the portal. They’re given 48 hours grace from when the SA notifies them that they wish to enter the portal until they’re actually put in.

• Fire 1

This is a big decision.  Do you not do some research around rules, process, responsibilities first?  At least acknowledge a higher amount of personal responsibility here. 

Sounds like he feels that he is not the starter.  If that is the case, not sure why the school would hold him up.  Perhaps they don’t want to set a precedent.

Well, I certainly sympathize with Burwick's situation, but we should all remember that he is the one laying out for us the "who can do what" scenario when in that very same paragraph has already told us that he did not understand the portal transfer rules and that it wasn't his responsibility. His statement might be correct, but there is good reason to not simply accept it at face value just because say's that's how it is. That said, I was very disappointed to see Burwick go - his potential and three-years left seemed like a better deal than Lamont's success and only one year left. Wished Bucky could have kept both in the room for the coming year, but...

Edited by npope

This was discussed a lot on the old forums and there were very few that typed as if they knew there was a window.  Everyone aside fot myself, Dr. Phil, WKN, and maybe one or two others showed an understanding of this.

If everyone in this thread was at the old hole in the wall as well, then you either took part in the discussion as if you weren't aware or you weren't part of the discussion, which means whether you admit it or not - the portal window is also new news to you as well.

We, as Keyboard Warrior Fanboys (KWF) have more time to listen to podcasts or read articles or in some way have heard wind about it.  Is it not conceivable that these full time student-athletes might not know the fine print as well? 

I doubt many coaches or schools are trying to show these guys how and when to appropriately transfer out.  To the school they are lost revenue.  To the coaches losing a kid's trust means you failed them somehow - deliberate or not.  Admitting or allowing that might be seen as counterproductive to their end product. Hell, they might not even clearly know the rules themselves.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Transfer/OneTime_Transfer.pdf

I took 30 seconds to find this link above. Was this kind of document not there in the past?  Maybe.  I don’t know.  But I would bet that the effort to find and read the rules would have taken no more than 1 hour.  No one can tell me that a student athlete doesn’t have 10 hours to spare over the course of a month to understand the rules related to such a big decision.  Let’s not baby these guys.

And the point about keyboard warriors not knowing about the window — so what?  Are any of us actively considering entering the portal?  

Edited by Dark Energy
  • Fire 1

Wisconsin knew the May 1 deadline.... they were obviously in talks with Lamont... they told Burwick May 23... announced Lamont on May 24 knowing that Burwick could not go in the portal and transfer without their approval.  Unfortunately this has happened with several wrestlers. Free Burwick. 

• Fire 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

12 hours ago, skandar said:

Everyone knows Bono is petty and vindictive. This is why you don’t go to a school with a coach like that. Also, educate yourself on rules.

He had no problem leaving SDSU to go to Wisconsin after recruiting tons of student-athletes and promising the parents of those student-athletes that he would do right by them. That doesn't even bring up his well-documented past of, shall we say, really shady and petty crap. 

• Fire 2

i am an idiot on the internet

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

This was discussed a lot on the old forums and there were very few that typed as if they knew there was a window.  Everyone aside fot myself, Dr. Phil, WKN, and maybe one or two others showed an understanding of this.

If everyone in this thread was at the old hole in the wall as well, then you either took part in the discussion as if you weren't aware or you weren't part of the discussion, which means whether you admit it or not - the portal window is also new news to you as well.

We, as Keyboard Warrior Fanboys (KWF) have more time to listen to podcasts or read articles or in some way have heard wind about it.  Is it not conceivable that these full time student-athletes might not know the fine print as well? 

I doubt many coaches or schools are trying to show these guys how and when to appropriately transfer out.  To the school they are lost revenue.  To the coaches losing a kid's trust means you failed them somehow - deliberate or not.  Admitting or allowing that might be seen as counterproductive to their end product. Hell, they might not even clearly know the rules themselves.

Life lessons are usually learned the hard way.  Bet he reads the fine print from now on.  Early age to learn such a valuable piece of knowledge.  Do feel bad for him though.

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Wrestej said:

Life lessons are usually learned the hard way.  Bet he reads the fine print from now on.  Early age to learn such a valuable piece of knowledge.  Do feel bad for him though.

Based on what he wrote in the OP image, I suspect he hasn't learned said "life lessons." 

• Fire 2

Am I misreading something?  All the fine print in the world wouldn't have saved him anything.  He didn't find out about this until May 23, 2022, and the deadline to be in the portal was May 1, 2022.  He's saying that Wisconsin could release him without the portal penalty, but they won't (so far).  He also is somewhat insinuating that the talks with Lamont preceded the May 23 date as well.  Either way, it seems like he never had an opportunity to avail himself of the portal (prior to May 23, he didn't see any need to transfer; then they brought in his replacement).

If what he says is true, Wisconsin should let him leave.

• Fire 1

10 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

it seems like he never had an opportunity to avail himself of the portal (prior to May 23, he didn't see any need to transfer; then they brought in his replacement).

That's how I read it as well. If a kid can enter the portal on his own without any help/discussion/paperwork from the school it's on the kid to know. If the school was involved and didn't make him aware of the circumstances it's on the school. If it can be made, "right" by allowing him to leave w/out penalty seems like it should be done...