• Playwire Ad Area

How smart is the Okie state staff

MizzouFan01

On 1/11/2023 at 5:01 AM, MPhillips said:

So the 9.9 is 9.9 no matter what. Which is what I believed. Thanks gimp.

Which makes this patently false...

That's what I always believed...but I suppose it's possible individual schools handle it differently. Particularly when Wrestling was the redheaded step child and it was dying a slow, painful death. Seems to have regained a little steam with the MMA tie in and the sport growing in popularity. 

22 hours ago, wrestlingphish said:

My favorite "badass wrestlers who love to smoke weed" were Billy Murphy and Travis Blasco. When they were freshmen at Iowa they actually tried to sit Tom Brands down and tell him they wrestled better high. Those guys were a lot of fun to be around in Iowa City. 

That's not a joke. I had teammates who used to come into the practice room SOOO paranoid and absolutely WREEKING of weed. I...would have, but I didn't like it. But the funniest part(other than them thinking they were fooling anyone) was...they wrestled their asses off. They were like cats in a burlap sack...just all practice. 

One of them was one of those dumb-smart guys. A math major who'd wonder aloud "how do fans work." Anyway, his explanation was "it turned his brain off when he wrestled." And that actually made some sense to me. One of the biggest problems you have is getting guys to shoot and commit to shots. Well...he shot like a M1 Thompson when he was high. 

Now...we can go back to shitting on Illinois! 

• Fire 1

I knew a guy who swore up and down he performed better when he had a hangover. Something about being angry and not giving a crap about winning or losing.

Same guy who claimed that drinking isn't a problem in season as long as you drink vodka straight. It's a diuretic, so it helps you lose a little weight.

Obviously, super weird guy with a serious problem. But he was surprisingly good.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

I knew a guy who swore up and down he performed better when he had a hangover. Something about being angry and not giving a crap about winning or losing.

Same guy who claimed that drinking isn't a problem in season as long as you drink vodka straight. It's a diuretic, so it helps you lose a little weight.

Obviously, super weird guy with a serious problem. But he was surprisingly good.

LOL...I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious?

Is this a joke about the people who think they wrestle better stoned or did someone seriously say this!

• Fire 1

On 1/11/2023 at 8:53 AM, ionel said:

As others have said its going to save money somewhere in the program or university.  In the case of OSU, pretty sure they have the scholarships endowed.  Now might depend on exactly what is endowed, is it just scholarship or scholarship plus expenses.  If moving one athlete from out of state to instate then drawing only half as much from the income off the endowment so the savings can go back in to grow the endowment investment or perhaps being used for an expense category, gear, meals etc. which might be more fungible.  

Right, that makes sense. But in state or out of state, it doesn't impact the 9.9.

For instance, if PSU has 20 guys from Penn on Scholarship from in State, it's not like they could only have 10 if they were out of state(for the sake of argument, it's exactly twice as much to go to PSU for an out of state athlete). 

The 9.9 is just an NCAA rule. How the school comes up with it or how they navigate it is entirely up to them...I believe. MAYBE the conference in the case of the B1G. 

9 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Right, that makes sense. But in state or out of state, it doesn't impact the 9.9.

For instance, if PSU has 20 guys from Penn on Scholarship from in State, it's not like they could only have 10 if they were out of state(for the sake of argument, it's exactly twice as much to go to PSU for an out of state athlete). 

The 9.9 is just an NCAA rule. How the school comes up with it or how they navigate it is entirely up to them...I believe. MAYBE the conference in the case of the B1G. 

But, (assuming the 2X price for out-of-state example) a school can offer 50% to an in-state vs 75% to out-of-state to equal total money out of pocket to the wrestler. So, the wrestling program save 1/4 of a scholarship by doing this.

Assuming total money out of pocket is equal:

20 in-state wrestlers at 50% = 10 total scholarships

13.3 out-of-state wrestlers at 75% = 10 total scholarships

This is how the school benefits from getting wrestlers to establish in-state residency ahead of time.

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.