• Playwire Ad Area

Amos

Mojo44

gonna toot my own horn here and say i was all over this a few years ago. he's a tweener and built a lot of hype in high school by throwing much less athletic 220's around at fargo. the few times he made the cut to 195, he looked like a mid level recruit. he's not overly skilled and he loses his athleticism advantage down at 197. i think he'd be better served trying to wrestle up at heavyweight going forward, but i highly doubt he'll ever be elite. the debate about him v. ferrari was always a joke. ferrari was a far superior prospect.

• Fire 2

32 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

Is the Wisconsin staff regressing his skills or was he over hyped out of high school?

Seems like he's focusing on Greco now. How many guys that focus on Greco have regressed or failed to live up to the hype in College?

It's a LONG list. 

Who's the last Greco guy to win a NC? Schultz could do it at HWT I guess. I don't think he will, but he's been in the finals. But who's the last guy who focused on Greco to win it in March?

49 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

the few times he made the cut to 195, he looked like a mid level recruit

Are you referring to the same Amos that demolished Kerkvliet down below 220 a ~year before Goat Steveson scraped by via a 3-2 Decision while he (Kerk) was in his first year at 220 and bumped to face said Goat Steveson?

He looked like a Tier 1 recruit regardless of weight since he was a 182lber.

It doesn't change the fact that you are correct: He needs to go 285 next season.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Are you referring to the same Amos that demolished Kerkvliet down below 220 a ~year before Goat Steveson scraped by via a 3-2 Decision while he (Kerk) was in his first year at 220 and bumped to face said Goat Steveson?

He looked like a Tier 1 recruit regardless of weight since he was a 182lber.

It doesn't change the fact that you are correct: He needs to go 285 next season.

that was not even close to same kerkvliet. it's a disingenuous comparison. the gable match happened 2 years and 30 lbs later.

the better comparison is when Amos, after wrestling 220 and building his rep for 2 years, cut down to 92 kg for cadet trials. He took 4th in Greco and 3rd in Freestyle. 3 losses to much lower ranked wrestlers. Was supposed to see Ferrari in the finals for one of the most hyped matches of the season. Didn't even make it there. Why? Because grown up 195 is much tougher than 220. His entire style is built of athleticism and power and he's no longer the most athletic and powerful. 

i have a far from perfect record on recruits, but i was always low on amos on the old board. he's like a poor man's jacob warner. dominant in high school, but comes way back to earth when better athletes get access to better coaching. warner is more technical/savvy and a lot better at winning tough, low scoring matches though.

• Fire 1

6 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Seems like he's focusing on Greco now. How many guys that focus on Greco have regressed or failed to live up to the hype in College?

It's a LONG list. 

Who's the last Greco guy to win a NC? Schultz could do it at HWT I guess. I don't think he will, but he's been in the finals. But who's the last guy who focused on Greco to win it in March?

How could he be focusing on Greco if he's wrestling in college? It would take a separate practice designed just for him and good training partners. He's senior level age, it doesn't cut it to have your best bro on the team go an extra 45 minutes upper body with you after practice. That's not focusing on Greco.

5 minutes ago, Cherkov said:

How could he be focusing on Greco if he's wrestling in college? It would take a separate practice designed just for him and good training partners. He's senior level age, it doesn't cut it to have your best bro on the team go an extra 45 minutes upper body with you after practice. That's not focusing on Greco.

Yeah...of course he's still Wrestling Folkstyle during practice. I'm talking about on the Sr circuit.

I'm talking about outside of the College Season. On the Sr level...when most College Wrestlers are improving, taking the next step...he hasn't. 

20 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Yeah...of course he's still Wrestling Folkstyle during practice. I'm talking about on the Sr circuit.

I'm talking about outside of the College Season. On the Sr level...when most College Wrestlers are improving, taking the next step...he hasn't. 

I can't think of a skill based discipline where a hard split makes you better than if you had continuously trained.