• Playwire Ad Area

Female Divisions

PTStipend

2 hours ago, PTStipend said:

I went to the NWCA National Duals over the weekend down in Louisville.

I noticed there were 2 female divisions. NCAA and NAIA.

I couldn't find anything on the NCAA website(s) about female wrestling.

https://www.ncaa.com/

https://www.ncaa.org/

You will have to use Trackwrestling if you want to see anything on women's college wrestling. That is usually just results, but there is the occasional story. Our best Buckeye friend @MPhillipswas correct when he said  "NCAA emerging sport." That is code for we are not going to be covering this until it is an official sport. 

Currently the women's college wrestling market is flooded. There are too many teams that have less than 20 wrestlers and yes they have 10 weight classes too. If we see more big schools like Iowa add a women's program, it might be the death of women's D3 wrestling. 

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, TexRef said:

You will have to use Trackwrestling if you want to see anything on women's college wrestling. That is usually just results, but there is the occasional story. Our best Buckeye friend @MPhillipswas correct when he said  "NCAA emerging sport." That is code for we are not going to be covering this until it is an official sport. 

Currently the women's college wrestling market is flooded. There are too many teams that have less than 20 wrestlers and yes they have 10 weight classes too. If we see more big schools like Iowa add a women's program, it might be the death of women's D3 wrestling. 

Someone I’m close to reffed a girls dual and there was 4 matches.

They probably need to do 1 division for everyone at first excluding NAIA

• Fire 1

12 minutes ago, Formally140 said:

Someone I’m close to reffed a girls dual and there was 4 matches.

They probably need to do 1 division for everyone at first excluding NAIA

Yeah it is bad. These schools are told that in year 2 or 3 there will be 50 kids on the roster and only pay coach about $40K

12 hours ago, TexRef said:

Yeah it is bad. These schools are told that in year 2 or 3 there will be 50 kids on the roster and only pay coach about $40K

At some schools there's not much support from the AD, no paid assistant coaches, no clerical help and these first time coaches are being setup for failure.

• Stalling 1

23 hours ago, Mike Parrish said:

At some schools there's not much support from the AD, no paid assistant coaches, no clerical help and these first time coaches are being setup for failure.

In a lot of the places the AD didn't want a women's program. For them it is more work and no extra money. There definitely is no clerical help. I have seen some with paid assistants. There are so many that don't want to or refuse to spend a few seasons as an Assistant Coach, and that is where most of this training would occur.  

• Fire 1

5 hours ago, TexRef said:

In a lot of the places the AD didn't want a women's program. For them it is more work and no extra money. There definitely is no clerical help. I have seen some with paid assistants. There are so many that don't want to or refuse to spend a few seasons as an Assistant Coach, and that is where most of this training would occur.  

I don't see how starting a women's program and then engineering its failure will help a men's program at the same institution.

19 hours ago, TexRef said:

At my small NAIA college in 2013, we had both a men's and women's and both shared the same coaching staff and practices so I would say both teams were setup for failure to some degree

• Fire 1

40 minutes ago, nick said:

At my small NAIA college in 2013, we had both a men's and women's and both shared the same coaching staff and practices so I would say both teams were setup for failure to some degree

Sounds like the exact blueprint from Mike Moyer. Was the school told that in year 2 or 3 there would be 40-50 kids per team? 

1 hour ago, TexRef said:

Sounds like the exact blueprint from Mike Moyer. Was the school told that in year 2 or 3 there would be 40-50 kids per team? 

I'm not sure of that, but I can tell you the numbers stayed the same (around six/10 girls, 20ish guys) my entire time there

No one was really happy since no one got full attention - there was never a complete staff with you at meets since they were split and as a light weight, we rotated daily into the girls mat to work with them (which I had no problem with, but that's not what we signed up for).

A funny story with it, first meet of the year is the Michigan State Open and we get one assistant coach for it (rest of staff is with the girls), we have an exchange student from the UK, his first match in America is against Ohio State and he has no coach in his corner