• Playwire Ad Area

New rule proposal - no touching the ankles or feet when you're on top

Jimmy Cinnabon

I will be very transparent.  This rule may seem extreme but it addresses 3 tactics that almost all non-PSU wrestling fans consider dirty.

The rule: "A wrestler, while on top (including while on "top from neutral", e.g., wrestler A shoots, wrestler B sprawls and is draped over top of wrestler B, here wrestler A is on "top" for purposes of this rule), may not touch or grasp with his hands, arms, or legs, the ankles or feet of the opposing wrestler."

This rule prevents these 3 "dirty" Penn State tactics:

1. The RBY shoe grab defense he employed on Desanto.  As the Brands brothers have demonstrated, grabbing your opponent's shoe is very dangerous and should be illegal.
  2. The Penn State ankle stall ride.  While not dangerous, sitting on your opponent's ankle by using your own leg to "scoop" is stalling.
  3. The Mean Max Dean bow and arrow.  This move, as illustrated in another popular thread, should be illegal because it inflicts much pain on the opposing wrestler, who has no choice but to go to his back or risk pain.

I will note, this rule would not prevent the use of a cradle provided the leg is gathered above the ankle, which it usually is anyway.  Many cradles are started with a post by the knee.

You may think I'm crazy for proposing such a radical change, but tell me why this rule doesn't effectively eliminate these 3 dirty tricks employed by Cael-trained wrestlers.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I will be very transparent...

You may think I'm crazy for proposing such a radical change, but tell me why this rule doesn't effectively eliminate these 3 dirty tricks employed by Cael-trained wrestlers.

Okay... you're crazy!  🤪

D3

So coaches aren't teaching kids how to get out of that ankle ride? 

Instead of teaching kids how to counter that ankle ride we should just change the rules or put the responsibility on the official to call stalling? I am not a buyer.  

What if, we make a rule where you can’t touch the opponent below the waist? And your legs can’t be used to block theirs. Maybe we call that a ‘foul’ if you do use your legs against theirs or touch below the waist. 

Thoughts?

Feels like the sport may be a bit different then. Perhaps we come up with a new name. I’m thinking something heavily European maybe?

Edited by D3UC157
Grammatical error
  • Fire 2

2 minutes ago, D3UC157 said:

What if, we make a rule were you can’t touch the opponent below the waist? And your legs can’t be used to block theirs. Maybe we call that a ‘foul’ if you do use your legs against theirs or touch below the waist. 

Thoughts?

Feels like the sport may be a bit different then. Perhaps we come up with a new name. I’m thinking something heavily European maybe?

Maybe something that only the most dedicated of fans are interested in...

• Fire 1