• Playwire Ad Area

Rules brainstorm: No-saved-by-the-bell rule

SetonHallPirate

I'm not looking for a poll, or to see what percentage thinks this is a good idea or a bad idea, but I'm trying to brainstorm any unintended consequences here: What if there was a no-saved-by-the-bell rule, like in boxing, where if an official is either counting nearfall or imminent nearfall, and the period clock expires, wrestling continues until either the bottom man has broken the hold, or been stuck?

Again, not looking for a head-count of for-or-against, but more looking for feedback.

1 minute ago, Plasmodium said:

Could make for some good drama.  Down by 12 with 7 seconds left, throw opponent to their back with a wicked headlock......

In the same vein, should people be allowed to completely finish their PED cycle before testing?

Also if one is actively editing a post they should be able to go beyond the 15 minutes. C'mon Bob!  🙂

• Fire 1

11 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

I'm not looking for a poll, or to see what percentage thinks this is a good idea or a bad idea, but I'm trying to brainstorm any unintended consequences here: What if there was a no-saved-by-the-bell rule, like in boxing, where if an official is either counting nearfall or imminent nearfall, and the period clock expires, wrestling continues until either the bottom man has broken the hold, or been stuck?

Again, not looking for a head-count of for-or-against, but more looking for feedback.

I really like it.  Reminds me in Soccer when they are beyond the final time, but they are in the midst of a scoring chance, they let it go until things have settled down.  

• Fire 1

10 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Reminds me in Soccer when they are beyond the final time, but they are in the midst of a scoring chance, they let it go until things have settled down. 

Because there are no time outs and the clock doesn't stop, the game has, 'added time' for the purpose of injuries, time wasting, arguing with the officials, etc. not for scoring chances.  As I'm sure you're aware.  

If we added ten seconds to the clock after a stalling call though...

• Fire 2

14 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Because there are no time outs and the clock doesn't stop, the game has, 'added time' for the purpose of injuries, time wasting, arguing with the officials, etc. not for scoring chances.  As I'm sure you're aware.  

Thats not what he's talking about.  In club soccer with no stoppage added they will let a play continue.  Even premiere etc with stoppage time they will allow continuation beyond the stoppage if there is an opportunity to score.  HS soccer, depends on the state rules but many shut it down right at buzzer.

Edited by ionel

1 hour ago, ionel said:

Also if one is actively editing a post they should be able to go beyond the 15 minutes. C'mon Bob!  🙂

😒Yeah... especially if one is posting Play x Plays and it goes into SV-rideouts... that certainly went BEYOND 15mins (ex.: 133 OT bout, Arujau/Latona match)

1 hour ago, MPhillips said:

You have fifteen minutes. Period.

More like 15 minutes. Exclamation point! (...to me.😏 )

D3

• Fire 1

22 minutes ago, ionel said:

Thats not what he's talking about.  In club soccer with no stoppage added they will let a play continue.  Even premiere etc with stoppage time they will allow continuation beyond the stoppage if there is an opportunity to score.  

I'm a soccer junkie and I've witnessed the whistle blown hundreds of times off of attacks from a corner, a cross, a long ball, etc. Time is not allotted for scoring chances. To claim it is, is wrong.  Besides, @flyingcement, I believe knew where I was and probably wasn't looking for anyone to come to his rescue... :classic_blush: "Not that there's anything wrong with that."

2 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

I'm a soccer junkie and I've witnessed the whistle blown hundreds of times off of attacks from a corner, a cross, a long ball, etc. Time is not allotted for scoring chances. To claim it is, is wrong.  Besides, @flyingcement, I believe knew where I was and probably wasn't looking for anyone to come to his rescue... :classic_blush: "Not that there's anything wrong with that."

Maybe they play it differently in Ohio.  Where i am in high school its dead stop on the buzzer but club (in multiple states) soccer continuation. 

PS: just trying to protect you from airborne concrete, sorry but that.  😞

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, ionel said:

Maybe they play it differently in Ohio.

I don't watch HS soccer, much like I don't watch GS wrestling.  Nowhere in the laws of the game does it mention time being extended for scoring opportunities. 

I love the airborne sakrete. An 80# bag on each shoulder keeps you young or makes you old, my body has mixed reviews at this point. :classic_dry:

Maybe we aren't going far enough with this idea.  The pin is the ultimate finish to wrestling, let's just go till someone gets a pin.  Think of how exciting the Ruth v Brands match would've been last night if we'd allowed them to finish.  

Since both Carl & Tommie agree that ddm, I propose we try this alternative approach in the meet on the 27th.  Its not going to hurt anything conference etc wise to try it on the 27th cause its a meaningless dual and ddm.  

• Fire 1

45 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

I don't watch HS soccer, much like I don't watch GS wrestling.  Nowhere in the laws of the game does it mention time being extended for scoring opportunities. 

I love the airborne sakrete. An 80# bag on each shoulder keeps you young or makes you old, my body has mixed reviews at this point. :classic_dry:

haha I was actually thinking of Premier League or World Cup.  We don't get to see the actual timer, so maybe there isn't a rule like this in place, but after watching hundreds of games, it seems that they very rarely will blow the whistle while one team is in the midst of a scoring chance.  

Just now, flyingcement said:

haha I was actually thinking of Premier League or World Cup.  We don't get to see the actual timer, so maybe there isn't a rule like this in place, but after watching hundreds of games, it seems that they very rarely will blow the whistle while one team is in the midst of a scoring chance.  

Same here.  But if you say you've never seen the whistle blow during an attack, who am I to say different...👍 Glad to know there's another Premier fan in the gang.

29 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Same here.  But if you say you've never seen the whistle blow during an attack, who am I to say different...👍 Glad to know there's another Premier fan in the gang.

I could totally be wrong.  Just something that I thought i have observed.  I'm a west ham supporter:)

20230107_115517.jpg

• Fire 1

Interesting concept… I’ve thought about a lot of different rule changes, but honestly never thought about this idea. My biggest concern would be that you are adding something subjective that there would be a lot of controversy over. For example, wrestler A is up by 10 and gets thrown to his back with just a few seconds left. How long do you let Wrestler B go for the pin? If you stop it, B’s team will be pissed. If you let it go on for a long time A’s team will be pissed. That’s a no win situation for the ref. 

6 hours ago, MPhillips said:

Do they add more time when someone falls down motionless from a near-miss, the ambulance comes on the field, a priest gives last rites, and after a total of 10 minutes the guy miraculously pops up ready to play again?
Or do I have soccer confused with pro rasslin?

• Haha 1