• Playwire Ad Area

Lee and Ayala beef?

H82Lose

1 hour ago, Zaintrain23 said:

I think we may all be missing the big picture.  Lee has limited live wrestling since his surgeries and he still absolutely destroyed a very good Ayala.  I’m more impressed by the fact that Lee could only wrestle Big Tens and Nationals and still destroy elite wrestlers.  I’m glad the match happened for that reason alone.

Meh.  He also only won 15-5 against a true freshman with losses to Tristan Lujan, Jarrett Trombley, Trevor Mastrogiovanni and Liam Cronin.

• Fire 2

2 hours ago, Jamie_Taco said:

This is what I think happened. IMO Spencer appeared to be chirping at Brands, not Drake. I have a feeling Spencer didn't want to go but Brands wanted him to wrestle the match. Was it the right move? Not sure, but it obviously lit a fire under Spencer and hopefully he built some confidence in his knees.

Yeah.  Would seem to fit the profile of “half-truths” from Minnow and would make more sense.  

Although it doesn’t really make sense in terms of how protective Brands typically is of him.  You could probably argue it’s more safe to wrestle a teammate who likely won’t go after the knee or anything like that, but considering Lee supposedly said he didn’t want to wrestle, it’s an odd move.  

Cue the “Brands doesn’t care about his wrestlers’ health!” arguments, which could also cue the “Spencer Lee should go to NLWC!” arguments…

2 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Lee should go to a club where they care about his health.   Sanderson and staff care about more than wrestling, so NLWC would be a good choice.

He could work out with Robbie Howard...

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

46 minutes ago, Formally140 said:

I still am not confident Lee can wrestle 3-5 matches against top 20 level opponents. Especially if it’s only 2-0 after the first

Also, I honestly think Gilman would destroy Lee right now.

Well no one thinks Lee would hang right now given his lack of cardio. But 4 more months of getting back into it? Yeahhhh buddy I’m ready!

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

4 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Well no one thinks Lee would hang right now given his lack of cardio. But 4 more months of getting back into it? Yeahhhh buddy I’m ready!

I am very curious about this. It has been so long since Lee wrestled freestyle what would it look like today? What will it look like in a year? Will his folkstyle turning skills work as well in freestyle at the senior level? His potentials is so enormous, but there are so many open questions.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

4 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I am very curious about this. It has been so long since Lee wrestled freestyle what would it look like today? What will it look like in a year? What does his mom think?  Will his folkstyle turning skills work as well in freestyle at the senior level? His potentials is so enormous, but there are so many open questions.

ftfy

Hawkeye Lee has always struck me in interviews as someone that gives canned responses, saying what he's "supposed to say" like he's interviewing for an assistant AD job. Pretty sure he has a mean streak that he's managed to suppress for the sake of his future career prospects. This has almost certainly helped him land sponsorship deals as well as to groom him to glad-hand and navigate the endless bureaucracy that is college athletics administration. When Hawkeye fans were pining for Lee during his recruitment, they reveled in his "Sith" nature being a perfect fit for Iowa. I agree and wish he was more willing to wear it on his sleeve.

55 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I am very curious about this. It has been so long since Lee wrestled freestyle what would it look like today? What will it look like in a year? Will his folkstyle turning skills work as well in freestyle at the senior level? His potentials is so enormous, but there are so many open questions.

We did this exercise once. Granted he only ran into Vito (and I guess NaTo?) but he was a bully.

https://arena.flowrestling.org/event/2559d0af-3fa9-44cd-b7a8-91e454a30d7a

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

15 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

We did this exercise once. Granted he only ran into Vito (and I guess NaTo?) but he was a bully.

https://arena.flowrestling.org/event/2559d0af-3fa9-44cd-b7a8-91e454a30d7a

Kind of my point. We did it once, it was three years ago, it was against guys who ultimately are not representing us internationally at the senior level (though I guess that is just Gillman right now), and a whole lotta water has passed under that bridge. There is great potential, but little information.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Is Lee going to get his one knee operated on again?  He moves awkwardly, I don't see him being ready for the international scene like that.  Lucky for him that he's stronger than all the other college kids and controls them on top.  In freestyle he'd have to be on his feet more and I don't see it going well.  

He's not guaranteed to win this year, that's for sure.  

Not sure if this was posted somewhere - Lee interview from after the tournament.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/videos/sports/college/iowa/wrestling/2022/12/31/iowa-wrestler-spencer-lee-after-winning-soldier-salute-xtream-arena-coralville-ncaa-wrestling-result/10972957002/

Not too much info. Towards the beginning in talking about wrestling in this event at all he says “they pulled the trigger…well I pulled the trigger, I made the decision”

He does comment that he “hasn’t wrestled much lately because he’s been hurt, but Drake was hurt too,” overall very complimentary of Ayala