• Playwire Ad Area

Kyle Snyder: Next Domestic Loss and by when

treep2000

We had similar discussions about Burroughs during his reign.  Who would be his next domestic loss, and by when.  Kyle Dake provided that answer.  

But, what about Snyder?  He's been untouchable domestically.  Cox would be the logical choice to snag a win.  However, if it's not Cox, then who?  By when?  Is this opponent still in college?  In high school?  Younger?  

Cox is the clear frontrunner to hand Snyder a loss, but I can't seem to wrap my head around, anyone, that is currently 17 years old or older, that may even come close.  

Thoughts?

Discuss!

On 12/29/2022 at 7:43 AM, treep2000 said:

We had similar discussions about Burroughs during his reign.  Who would be his next domestic loss, and by when.  Kyle Dake provided that answer.  

But, what about Snyder?  He's been untouchable domestically.  Cox would be the logical choice to snag a win.  However, if it's not Cox, then who?  By when?  Is this opponent still in college?  In high school?  Younger?  

Cox is the clear frontrunner to hand Snyder a loss, but I can't seem to wrap my head around, anyone, that is currently 17 years old or older, that may even come close.  

Thoughts?

Discuss!

....Feldman?

I mean, you said if it's not Cox and I can't think of anyone who's reasonably close to him at the moment and I just don't see the same competition at 97 as we saw at 74. There was a time when JB was at his best when he could have...reasonably lost to 3-4 Wrestlers. Howe was an absolute bull, DT is...obviously great. Dake was close for so many years until he finally did it. 

But Snyder doesn't have that. So I guess I'll have to go with the Hype. I'm just glad I don't have to go with a certain Okie State Wrestler who may well have been the next real contender because nobody wants to see Captain America lose to the bag guy!

Being a LITTLE more serious and going with guys who've done a bit more at this point, I really think that Trumble from NC State has the size and the athleticism and he's already probably a perfect fit for 97KG. He's 6'4, he's got big legs, he's athletic. He's clearly not close yet, I'm just thinking potentially a few years into the future...maybe? 

I'd think Younger would Wrestle for Cuba, but he's also a good answer. I think the most likely is other than Cox, nobody is real close to touching a healthy Snyder in the near future and who knows how these kids will develop. 

Well if Cox doesn’t get SnyderMan, and I don’t think he will, I think Snyder’s run will continue until old age or an injury gets him. And as far as Ferrari is concerned, it’s obvious that his career has taken a significant detour, and we’ll just have to see what happens there. But if I were a betting man, I would say Ferrari is going to wind up in MMA, long before he can get to the point where he could become a serious challenger to Snyder. 

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, de4856 said:

Well if Cox doesn’t get SnyderMan, and I don’t think he will, I think Snyder’s run will continue until old age or an injury gets him. And as far as Ferrari is concerned, it’s obvious that his career has taken a significant detour, and we’ll just have to see what happens there. But if I were a betting man, I would say Ferrari is going to wind up in MMA, long before he can get to the point where he could become a serious challenger to Snyder. 

He'll be training at the Pat Downey Gym for People Who Don't Train Well.

• Haha 1

On 1/3/2023 at 5:12 AM, scourge165 said:

....Feldman?

I mean, you said if it's not Cox and I can't think of anyone who's reasonably close to him at the moment and I just don't see the same competition at 97 as we saw at 74. There was a time when JB was at his best when he could have...reasonably lost to 3-4 Wrestlers. Howe was an absolute bull, DT is...obviously great. Dake was close for so many years until he finally did it. 

But Snyder doesn't have that. So I guess I'll have to go with the Hype. I'm just glad I don't have to go with a certain Okie State Wrestler who may well have been the next real contender because nobody wants to see Captain America lose to the bag guy!

Being a LITTLE more serious and going with guys who've done a bit more at this point, I really think that Trumble from NC State has the size and the athleticism and he's already probably a perfect fit for 97KG. He's 6'4, he's got big legs, he's athletic. He's clearly not close yet, I'm just thinking potentially a few years into the future...maybe? 

I'd think Younger would Wrestle for Cuba, but he's also a good answer. I think the most likely is other than Cox, nobody is real close to touching a healthy Snyder in the near future and who knows how these kids will develop. 

Is Younger wrestling for Cuba really an option?  It is the case that he defected from Cuba as did Echimendia isn't it?   - If that is not true and the Cuban government just sent him to study at ISU that would be different.

1 hour ago, lu1979 said:

Is Younger wrestling for Cuba really an option?  It is the case that he defected from Cuba as did Echimendia isn't it?   - If that is not true and the Cuban government just sent him to study at ISU that would be different.

I'm pretty sure he can. I don't think he fled Cuba. It's been...~10 years now that Cuba's allowed athletes to sign in Baseball without fleeing and they can go back to participate in the World Baseball Classic.

But I don't know for certain...it'll be interesting. He's pretty damn explosive and would be a solid 97. 

I think Cox is the best bet.  I don't think he beats him in a series, but would not be surprised if he took a match.

I don't see him going 125 KG unless it is some sort of club VS club dual like the Flo RTC cup and not as a true 125 KG just as a bump.  Even then I don't see it as they have three gents there at 125 KG already.

I don't see anyone in our current crop of 184, 197, or 285 NCAA guys having it at 97 KG.  I don't see any of our current 86, 92, 97, or 125 guys aside for Cox being able to have it at 97 KG either - and as I said Cox doesn't take a series from him.

Unless it is an InjDef like Gadson I don't see it in the next five years.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

On 1/5/2023 at 3:16 PM, mspart said:

This  ^

mspart

This is boring. We've already established the OBVIOUS answer is Cox...so it's other than Cox. And yeah, it seems like the answer is nobody as of now, but the goal is to project out. Could it be a guy like Trumble who looks like he could be the perfect size for 97KG and is surprisingly athletic? Feldman? Could he wrestle at 97? He's gonna be a HWT in College, but...seems feasible he could make the cut at the next level. 

TJ Stewart? Young, talented...5 years away.

The young Fishback?

All of these are WAAY too premature, but that's what makes it fun...IMO. 

If Bastida can't Wrestle for Cuba or chooses not to or whatever it may be, and he competes for team USA, he's the more obvious choice after Cox.

Remember...Coon did beat Snyder when that seemed like a real long shot.

I would mention Ferrari, but...I'm prettys ure that Ferrari is full of nitrous oxide!

Edited by scourge165

2 hours ago, MPhillips said:

I don't laugh much at the mention of Ferrari...

nobody should...

if he isn't incarcerated he is possibly the biggest challenge to snyder through the remainder of this quad...

if ferrari is available and has an inclination to go after that spot that would mean he was found innocent of all charges and is just guilty of being who he is... if that is the case then he will find a place to land at the senior level...

and by biggest challenge i might mean just because we haven't seen it yet... not necessarily that he is an actual challenge but possibly the biggest domestically...

Snyder could Big Bruce it, retire never losing to an American again. 

Why the 125 kg talk? Not a tall 97 kg. And he has Sadulaev at his weight. I'm sure Snyder would love to beat the p4p #1 and stop the projected most decorated wrestler of this generation.  Snyder has won everything already (Oly+ World Gold), and he doesn't strike me as someone who'd calculate ahead ways to sneakily get the most medals; he'd prefer the chance to beat the best wrestler that he could face.  Snyder has never shy'd away from risking losses he wants to beat the best or lose trying. 

There are some good 125s but neither Taha or Geno are dominant (getting old too) and Zare looks much closer to them than Sadulaev. I only see him moving to 125 if Sad retires and 97kg becomes the new 86 or someone domestic forces him out of 97 and he can't win back his spot after multiple attempts.  And I don't think Sadulaev is retiring until he overtakes Medved and possibly a fourth gold.