• Playwire Ad Area

Eierman - Olympic Cycle Then MMA

1 hour ago, Wrestej said:

He might as well start UFC career now.  I don’t see him winning a spot to wrestle in the Olympics.

Hopefully our sport can provide the financial incentives for this to make sense...but we also shouldn't be so cyncial as fans, someone has to fill out the bracket, and honestly he isn't a great match up for a lot of people.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

10 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Someone's feelings are hurt.  Keep in mind that his father coaches J'Den and young Eierman is a better college wrestler than a couple of the other Mizzou champs.

Six champs in Mizzou history and while he was a great talent don’t let recency bias get in the way of their accomplishments. Someone tell me if I’m forgetting someone?

Ellis, Houdashelt, Ben & Max Askren, Cox, O’Toole.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

Love to see it!

Amateur wrestling is tough on the body and the bank account. It says in the article that he's had MMA around him his whole life -- why not get into it after an honest go at the Olympics? He can still coach wrestling later on and will probably be heavily involved in wrestling still like every other wrestler that went that route.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Six champs in Mizzou history and while he was a great talent don’t let recency bias get in the way of their accomplishments. Someone tell me if I’m forgetting someone?

You got em all. Nine titles amongst them from 2006 to 2022.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

3 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

I was referring to two of their three  MMA champs: Chandler and Woodley. (Certainly not Askren).  Eierman is a better college wrestler than the two. 

Will he be better at MMA?  Unlikely. but it is tough to know unless nhe tries. 

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I was referring to two of their three  MMA champs: Chandler and Woodley. (Certainly not Askren).  Eierman is a better college wrestler than the two. 

Yeah, it's tough to make an informed prediction on how he will transition to MMA. We have no knowledge of any training in striking or submission grappling. And while he was a better folkstyle wrestler than Chandler and Woodley, he has a very unconventional style that doesn't lend itself to MAA (if he leaves his face out there like he does his right leg in wrestling, it won't work out so well). Plus those two guys are/were better at MMA than they were are wrestling. Askren was a far better wrestler than all of them, but I would say Woodley and Chandler are/were better fighters than Askren. 

High level wrestling success doesn't seem to be any stronger of a predictor of MMA success than a solid wrestling background. 

Edited by Crotalus
  • Fire 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

Yeah, it's tough to make an informed prediction on how he will transition to MMA. We have no knowledge of any training in striking or submission grappling. And while he was a better folkstyle wrestler than Chandler and Woodley, he has a very unconventional style that doesn't lend itself to MAA (if he leaves his face out there like he does his right leg in wrestling, it won't work out so well). Plus those two guys are/were better at MMA than they were are wrestling. Askren was a far better wrestler than all of them, but I would say Woodley and Chandler are/were better fighters than Askren. 

High level wrestling success doesn't seem to be any stronger of a predictor of MMA success than a solid wrestling background. 

Askren, in my opinion, was just as good or better at mma than Chandler and Woodley.  Unfortunately when most get to see him was at the end of his career in the ufc where he was hampered by a serious hip injury.  That injury made him just a shell of himself.  In his prime he would have been a formidable foe for just about anyone.  He probably should have stayed retired and not fought in the ufc but he had a dream.  A dream that was shattered by a knee to the face.  Plus I’m sure he made a shit load of money

• Fire 3

2 hours ago, Wrestej said:

Askren, in my opinion, was just as good or better at mma than Chandler and Woodley.  Unfortunately when most get to see him was at the end of his career in the ufc where he was hampered by a serious hip injury.  That injury made him just a shell of himself.  In his prime he would have been a formidable foe for just about anyone.  He probably should have stayed retired and not fought in the ufc but he had a dream.  A dream that was shattered by a knee to the face.  Plus I’m sure he made a shit load of money

I agree wholeheartedly.

3 hours ago, Crotalus said:

I agree with almost everything you said.  My original issue was the number of people who were saying Eierman would suck because they didn't like him, mostly because he went to Iowa.

3 hours ago, Crotalus said:

I definitely agree with this.  I coaches two high school kids against two future UFC stars.  One lost to a future champ 3-2, the other had a one point win over a guy who got as high as #2 in the rankings and had some legendary fights.

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, Wrestej said:

They were at least more well rounded than Askren was. His ability to take down and control his opponents allowed him to hide his deficiencies, which he never felt the need to improve on. He was certainly past his prime when he finally got a shot in the UFC, but that knee would have caught him regardless. Even a past prime Lawler was able to hurt him pretty good. I believe he would have been a contender in the UFC, but the higher level competition would have been able to expose his deficiencies, so it's hard to say whether he was better or not. 

I agree with almost everything you said.  My original issue was the number of people who were saying Eierman would suck because they didn't like him, mostly because he went to Iowa.

Yeah, that's par for the course. I'm excited to see him give MMA a go. 

I definitely agree with this.  I coaches two high school kids against two future UFC stars.  One lost to a future champ 3-2, the other had a one point win over a guy who got as high as #2 in the rankings and had some legendary fights.

I was 2-0 in HS against a future UFC fighter, but if he punched me in the face I'd fold like a cheap suit. 

Edited by Crotalus
  • Fire 2

1 hour ago, Crotalus said:

I was 2-0 in HS against a future UFC fighter, but if he punched me in the face I'd fold like a cheap suit. 

I once worked out with Matt Hughes down at EIU (#rip) a few years after he graduated but before he was a UFC champ. He showed up to an offseason workout with some of the guys in the room and I was in high school and happened to be there at the same time. I had at least 50 pounds and 6 inches on him so even though I was outclassed I was at least holding my own against him which was a very big mistake. He got mad after a couple takedown scraps that took longer than he appreciated and decided he wanted to put me in my proper place so he punched me so hard when I went for a shitty double attempt that he knocked me out. I woke up with a bloody nose from hitting the mat and had a headache that lasted for a couple days. Like I said, I was in high school so losing to college guys was usually just a character builder but this was a literal ass kicking from an entirely different universe. I learned real quick that day that no matter how good you may think you are, there is someone out there who is 10x badder and will kick the living snot out of you.

11 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

You directly said Eierman was better. Don’t backtrack.

Edited by bnwtwg
  • Fire 1

6 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

You directly said Eierman was better. Don’t backtrack.

Please re-read.  I said Eierman was a better college wrestler than Chandler and Woodley.  Tuesday at 9:53 and Tuesday at 9:55. 

You think they were better as college wrestlers?  You are entitled to your opinion.  If you think I am backtracking, you are wrong.  

3 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Please re-read.  I said Eierman was a better college wrestler than Chandler and Woodley.  Tuesday at 9:53 and Tuesday at 9:55. 

You think they were better as college wrestlers?  You are entitled to your opinion.  If you think I am backtracking, you are wrong.  

Ahh my bad, I interpreted what you said as Eierman was better than the Mizzou champs and you meant the UFC champs 🤝

• Fire 1

13 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

I once worked out with Matt Hughes down at EIU (#rip) a few years after he graduated but before he was a UFC champ. He showed up to an offseason workout with some of the guys in the room and I was in high school and happened to be there at the same time. I had at least 50 pounds and 6 inches on him so even though I was outclassed I was at least holding my own against him which was a very big mistake. He got mad after a couple takedown scraps that took longer than he appreciated and decided he wanted to put me in my proper place so he punched me so hard when I went for a shitty double attempt that he knocked me out. I woke up with a bloody nose from hitting the mat and had a headache that lasted for a couple days. Like I said, I was in high school so losing to college guys was usually just a character builder but this was a literal ass kicking from an entirely different universe. I learned real quick that day that no matter how good you may think you are, there is someone out there who is 10x badder and will kick the living snot out of you.

there's being tough on the mat, but a college grad punching a HS kid hard enough to KO him in a wrestling practice is a douche move.

• Fire 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2022 at 3:02 PM, Wrestej said:

How much is a shitload? Does MMA announce the purse before a fight? Do they publish salaries? If not, does anyone on the outside know how much any MMA fight takes home?

4 hours ago, Ponzi said:

How much is a shitload? Does MMA announce the purse before a fight? Do they publish salaries? If not, does anyone on the outside know how much any MMA fight takes home?

More than a bunch, not as much as an unbelievable ***duck duck goose** lot.

• Fire 1