• Playwire Ad Area

(Off topic) For those who think it gets better.

Caveira

18 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

People make fun of Iowa and Marinelli, but Marinelli and Dean both graduated high school in 2016.  Marinelli is finally done with college, but Dean keeps chugging along...

Not to mention that Cam McCormick is only one year older than both.

I believe Marinelli actually just got his masters degree as well so at least he used the time while he was there to continue his academics. Some recent interviews with RBY have made it seem like he isn’t even in school at this point, just wrestling for PSU which seems odd.

I remember (vaguely) an interview with Logan Steiner where he was asked about how he spends his day.  Talked about practice and playing video games. This was during college. I recall being floored by the lack of academic work during the day.  Figured he had few credits and what he had were easy classes.  Perhaps RBY is in a similar situation? 

Back to main topic - 9th year?  A perversion of the system.  Comically sad.  Why even have any rules around it if this is ok?  Ridiculous.

Edited by Dark Energy

Bizarre.  At some point it's time to move on with life. For the record this was the NCAA's original intent when allowing a "Redshirt" season: 

Rationale. Student athletes just out of high school may not be ready for the academic and athletic demands at the university level. Redshirting provides the opportunity, with tutoring, to take classes for an academic year and become accustomed to the academic and physical rigors of university athletics.

7 minutes ago, Smsu150 said:

Bizarre.  At some point it's time to move on with life. For the record this was the NCAA's original intent when allowing a "Redshirt" season: 

Rationale. Student athletes just out of high school may not be ready for the academic and athletic demands at the university level. Redshirting provides the opportunity, with tutoring, to take classes for an academic year and become accustomed to the academic and physical rigors of university athletics.

Odd, thought from reading above that the purpose of the RS was to get up to speed on the new more advanced video games.  🤔

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, wrestlingphish said:

I believe Marinelli actually just got his masters degree as well so at least he used the time while he was there to continue his academics. Some recent interviews with RBY have made it seem like he isn’t even in school at this point, just wrestling for PSU which seems odd.

Don’t you have to be considered a full time student to participate?  Like take at least 12 credit hours a semester?  At least it used to be.

full time for undergrads is 12 credits. full time if you're a grad student-athlete is 6 credits.

the kicker is, when you're in your final semester of eligibility you really don't have to do anything at all. enroll in the necessary credits

and it doesn't matter if you get all zeroes b/c you're not ineligible until semester is over and the grades are in - which you don't care about b/c you're done. 

TBD

2 hours ago, Schuteandscore said:

Don’t you have to be considered a full time student to participate?  Like take at least 12 credit hours a semester?  At least it used to be.

I could be wrong, and it was years ago, but I feel that because I had already done enough to graduate in the spring, that I didn't even need to be a full time student in my final semester.

I ended up taking a full load and picked up a minor, but I think I was told that I could have taken minimal credits and still wrestled.

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken
  • Fire 1

On 12/25/2022 at 10:42 AM, Caveira said:

Cam McCormick granted a 9th year of eligibility to play ncaa football.  Without an Olympic redshirt year 🙂

1CACDAC9-8764-4F31-A4FB-33544D39F54F.jpeg

I dunno, chalk me up as not being all that concerned about this?

I’m assuming the “missed season” in 2019 was a grayshirt?  So basically he redshirted, grayshirted, had a free Covid year and got 2 medical redshirt years.  

10 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I dunno, chalk me up as not being all that concerned about this?

I’m assuming the “missed season” in 2019 was a grayshirt?  So basically he redshirted, grayshirted, had a free Covid year and got 2 medical redshirt years.  

It is an injury in which he never took the field.  Maybe the injury from the previous year?  There is no "greyshirting" once you enroll at an institution.  In fact, your "clock" starts in Division 1, or at least it used to.

32 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

It is an injury in which he never took the field.  Maybe the injury from the previous year?  There is no "greyshirting" once you enroll at an institution.  In fact, your "clock" starts in Division 1, or at least it used to.

I was originally thinking he un-enrolled like the Ivy guys do (isn’t that still called a grayshirt?), but seems like he did actually get three medical years. I was going off the graphic which seemed to only indicate 2 medical years.

He does have a master’s already though - 

https://larrybrownsports.com/college-football/cam-mccormick-oregon-eligibility-ninth-year/608779

51 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I was originally thinking he un-enrolled like the Ivy guys do (isn’t that still called a grayshirt?), but seems like he did actually get three medical years. I was going off the graphic which seemed to only indicate 2 medical years.

He does have a master’s already though - 

https://larrybrownsports.com/college-football/cam-mccormick-oregon-eligibility-ninth-year/608779

The D1 clock is still going if you unenroll.  unenrolling is the ivy way of getting around their "four years of school, no redshirt policy" that is supposed to prevent abuses.

"Unenrolling" should only be helping ivies or other schools with similar policies.

18 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

The D1 clock is still going if you unenroll.  unenrolling is the ivy way of getting around their "four years of school, no redshirt policy" that is supposed to prevent abuses.

"Unenrolling" should only be helping ivies or other schools with similar policies.

Ah true

2 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I ended up taking a full load and picked up a minor, but I think I was told that I could have taken minimal credits and still wrestled.

wait a minute ... what about Weehawken ... thought A Hamilton took the "full load?"  🤔

• Fire 1

All those extra years of not getting on with your life....job, getting a retirement setup at work, family.......just sayin..... years is plenty....still glad I got out in 4 and got on with my life.....at the other end of your career, you may appreciate it.  I know there are points that might be argued here....just sayin'

• Fire 3

11 hours ago, Fadzaev2 said:

All those extra years of not getting on with your life....job, getting a retirement setup at work, family.......just sayin..... years is plenty....still glad I got out in 4 and got on with my life.....at the other end of your career, you may appreciate it.  I know there are points that might be argued here....just sayin'

Wish you had more time to edit your posts.....this should have said 5 years is plenty