• Playwire Ad Area

Aaron Brooks was 100% pinned by Marcus Coleman

BaldAt23

3 hours ago, SocraTease said:

Over on the Penn State boards, they are spinning the loss as a positive and trying to make wine out of, well, lemons.

It's like the cult around a famous Orange figure.  Nothing prevents true believers from perceiving a world they desire.  They see what they seek.

They also think that the Byers is the greatest wrestling announcer alive.  He's not only a terrible Homer; he simply does not know wrestling very well (moves, positions, technique, and the nuances of the sport); he often can't properly pronounce opponents names; and when he has announced freestyle matches, it is far, far beyond an embarrassment. 

But, hey, he gets excited for a Penn State win so that's what counts right?

You should know losing can be beneficial and that loss can be a great motivator for future success. Stop teasing yourself So-Crates

• Haha 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

7 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

That all being said: Brooks was flat.

And the PSU fans on this board have gone mostly silent since.

What would you like to hear?  AB is as good a wrestler as any ever to do it in college and will most likely end up a 4 timer. 

Coleman wrestled great and won.  Not gonna argue about if he was flat or not as it’s pointless. It wasn’t called. 

Brooks will learn from the loss and stay out of certain positions if they meet again. AB will win at nationals no doubt in my mind. 

happy?

14 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

You should know losing can be beneficial and that loss can be a great motivator for future success. Stop teasing yourself So-Crates

Motivator?  An Olympic hopeful needs motivation?  That is a scary thought.

Although now that you mention it, he has admitted to some mental and spiritual lapses in the past.  Thankfully, David Carr was there.  I 100% guarantee that Carr found AB and they prayed on the loss.  Hopefully he is back on the winning path.

19 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

"I don't think he beats Brooks ever without that 6 point move but give him credit for having the skill set and athletic ability to hit it and pull out the match."

In John Madden voice:

"Well, you see, he won by scoring more points than his opponent did."

• Haha 3

This thread is wild…mostly people complaining that penn state fans aren’t upset enough about brooks losing a dec dual? ..seriously that one poster was having a stroke bc the penn state forums weren’t upset enough about the lose , no honest person compares Hawkeye report with any other teams forum, the PSU forums are just filled with a bunch of homers like every other teams , meanwhile Hawkeye report is like the Alex jones forum for wrestling …all types of conspiracies about anyone good not at Iowa on steroids , or the secret penn state / Cael bank accounts , the forum reads like satire half the time ….y’all are crazy sometimes ….anyway shout to Coleman for beating a multiple time champ , hopefully that boasted his confidence and we see a new Coleman the rest of the season 

• Haha 1

I don't understand the complaint, are we going after fans for being fans?  What's the value to fanbases of being "reasonable" as far as non-fans would consider reasonable?  Let people love their teams!  The emotional swings is part of why we love sports, and if we're all being "reasonable" about everything, there's less emotional whiplash.  I'll have a go at PSU fans as much as the next guy, but "fans try to take positives from an unexpected loss" is pretty standard fan behavior.

• Haha 1

I just rewatched the Coleman match, and I have to disagree.

That match definitely ended via a 9-7 Decision for Coleman over Brooks.  It did not actually end in a Pinfall.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

40 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I don't understand the complaint, are we going after fans for being fans?  What's the value to fanbases of being "reasonable" as far as non-fans would consider reasonable?  Let people love their teams!  The emotional swings is part of why we love sports, and if we're all being "reasonable" about everything, there's less emotional whiplash.  I'll have a go at PSU fans as much as the next guy, but "fans try to take positives from an unexpected loss" is pretty standard fan behavior.

After all, fan is short for fanatic...

What it shows is that 159-0 will likely never be duplicated. One reason is you likely won't ever see a guy wrestle 159 NCAA matches again. The other is it is almost impossible to not have an off day, get caught by something, or someone just being better that day.

Most would agree that Spencer Lee has been one of if not the most dominant wrestler in recent years and he has 5 losses.

It is truly amazing to go your entire career without losing. It is hard enough to do it for a season.

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, JeanGuy said:

What it shows is that 159-0 will likely never be duplicated. One reason is you likely won't ever see a guy wrestle 159 NCAA matches again. The other is it is almost impossible to not have an off day, get caught by something, or someone just being better that day.

Most would agree that Spencer Lee has been one of if not the most dominant wrestler in recent years and he has 5 losses.

It is truly amazing to go your entire career without losing. It is hard enough to do it for a season.

Maybe things have changed on these boards over the years, but I'm surprised that we got an hour into your post without someone saying, "well, he DIDN'T go undefeated because he lost to Paul Jenn (was that his name?) at the UNI Open during his freshman redshirt year."

Can't tell you how many back and forths came out of that one back in the day, but maybe that's changed.

Edited by Ban Basketball

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

33 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

Maybe things have changed on these boards over the years, but I'm surprised that we got an hour into your post without someone saying, "well, he DIDN'T go undefeated because he lost to Paul Jenn (was that his name?) at the UNI Open during his freshman redshirt year."

Can't tell you how many back and forths came out of that one back in the day, but maybe that's changed.

JeanGuy didn't say he was undefeated. He said he was 159-0, which he was.

• Confused 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

2 hours ago, JeanGuy said:

Which is one of the things that made Cael so incredible, it wasn't just that he won 159-0 but the way he wrestled and won.  Guarantee you he had on off day, the flu, the sniffles but go back and look at his scores and matches see if any can figure out which were his off days.