• Playwire Ad Area

Aaron Brooks was 100% pinned by Marcus Coleman

BaldAt23

When I was in high school my best friend's mom married a guy who had played for the Eagles in the 1960 NFL championship game. They were having a party and he was showing his friends a highlight film of the game. On a key play he throws the key block to spring the RB for a TD (or  maybe just a long run, hard to recall perfectly). Someone gleefully pointed out that he was holding on the play.

The host, with a big smile on his face said, "it aint a hold if the ref doesn't call it."

• Fire 2

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

3 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

When I was in high school my best friend's mom married a guy who had played for the Eagles in the 1960 NFL championship game. They were having a party and he was showing his friends a highlight film of the game. On a key play he throws the key block to spring the RB for a TD (or  maybe just a long run, hard to recall perfectly). Someone gleefully pointed out that he was holding on the play.

The host, with a big smile on his face said, "it aint a hold if the ref doesn't call it."

Or, as I say,  EVERY play has a holding call somewhere,  especially today.  Those boys are WAY too big today to be able to move around without grabbing hold of something. 

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

Over on the Penn State boards, they are spinning the loss as a positive and trying to make wine out of, well, lemons.

It's like the cult around a famous Orange figure.  Nothing prevents true believers from perceiving a world they desire.  They see what they seek.

They also think that the Byers is the greatest wrestling announcer alive.  He's not only a terrible Homer; he simply does not know wrestling very well (moves, positions, technique, and the nuances of the sport); he often can't properly pronounce opponents names; and when he has announced freestyle matches, it is far, far beyond an embarrassment. 

But, hey, he gets excited for a Penn State win so that's what counts right?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

Over on the Penn State boards, they are spinning the loss as a positive and trying to make wine out of, well, lemons.

It's like the cult around a famous Orange figure.  Nothing prevents true believers from perceiving a world they desire.  They see what they seek.

They also think that the Byers is the greatest wrestling announcer alive.  He's not only a terrible Homer; he simply does not know wrestling very well (moves, positions, technique, and the nuances of the sport); he often can't properly pronounce opponents names; and when he has announced freestyle matches, it is far, far beyond an embarrassment. 

Don't want to (1) offer them an alternate view and (2) continue to defend that alternate view.

The villagers will get their revenge!

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

4 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

when he gets excited he screams so loud you can't tell he mispronounced names and moves ... this a good thing, no?  🙄

The no call of a fall is not uncommon.   It seemed to me from the first row in the 2nd round of the EIWA championships at Navy in 2000, 8th Seed Justin Haskins of Rutgers might have gotten the fall against #1 seed and eventual champ Rick Springman from Penn.  It was close, to say the least.   It was not called.  Springman promptly reversed and pinned Hakins at 2:36, then beat Mark Dufresne (who was tough and had a great duckunder) 3-1 in the semis, and then pinned Harvard's Ed Mosley in the final at 5:40.

https://www.eiwawrestling.org/results/EIWA_results_2000.pdf

10 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

Cael and Co absolutely can't do no wrong.

Austin Desanto taking 20 shots against RBY == Desanto is stalling (because he's obviously not trying to finish those shots, he's just trying to tease out a stall call).

Van Ness making a few milquetoast level changes/fakes == Paniro is stalling. Nothing could be more obvious, the ref is a fool!

In some ways, I think that board is actually worse than HR. I can't stand some of the ridiculous takes on HR (Ironbird, ugh), but at least there is some semblance of a varied discussion there as opposed to the endless parroting that happens on BWI.

HR is a better destination if you're seeking a laugh. BWI is more legible, but boring.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

In some ways, I think that board is actually worse than HR. I can't stand some of the ridiculous takes on HR (Ironbird, ugh)

Ironbird is likely the least of their issues. 

Both forums are two peas in a pod.  I say we all pitch in and buy them an island,  a DVD player,  DVD's of every PSU and Sqwawker bout where their rasslers have lost,  and watch them kill each other off with stupidity through a Rokfin pay per view feed for the rest of us to watch. 

Now THAT would be sumpin!

18 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

I like to lurk over there and your characterization doesn't fit. There is a lot of "but he will win in March" vibe. What about their last ten to twelve years of results at NCAA's would argue otherwise?

Some quotes:

"Anyone can lose, even a guy like AB who I would put good money on that he will still likely cruise to another national title this year. All it takes is an off night and/or a game opponent, one move, one position, etc. But this result won't matter much come March"

"This said, Brooks unlikely to lose to Coleman again,"

"It happens but Brooks is Thanos in March."

"I don't think he beats Brooks ever without that 6 point move but give him credit for having the skill set and athletic ability to hit it and pull out the match."

I feel that PSU is still a huge favorite in every dual and will be a huge favorite in March.  

I believe Aaron Brooks is a fine young man.  He is a great collegiate wrestler.  He will likely be the #1 seed at NCAA and probably win without too many issues.  He may represent the US in a future Olympics, and I will be rooting for him by that point.

That all being said: Brooks was flat.

And the PSU fans on this board have gone mostly silent since.

10 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I feel that PSU is still a huge favorite in every dual and will be a huge favorite in March.  

I believe Aaron Brooks is a fine young man.  He is a great collegiate wrestler.  He will likely be the #1 seed at NCAA and probably win without too many issues.  He may represent the US in a future Olympics, and I will be rooting for him by that point.

That all being said: Brooks was flat.

And the PSU fans on this board have gone mostly silent since.

Counterpoint. No he wasn't. Refs didn't call it therefore it didn't happen. 

Eyeroll Marx Brothers GIF - Eyeroll Marx Brothers Who You Gonna Believe -  Discover & Share GIFs

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Brooks was pinned.  But does it really matter?  Coleman still won, and I can't imagine his DEC win over a FALL win is going to decide his ultimate seed at NCAAs.

Sure it would have, Iowa St would've wrestled 285 and won the dual meet 18-16.  😉