• Playwire Ad Area

Taylor presser

No thread on the presser ? How is that possible

Let me say you just *don't always quite know* if a guy who hasn't been a head coach has *it* until hes that guy

DT in athlete interviews never screamed coach .........but let me tell you.....the presser Mic was different then his athlete mic

This dude is a coach and has it. Born for it. He had some charisma .....in spades more then cael

DT never seemed like a great talker .....today he did.....he has the vibrancy the energy the want to.....AND the living room and donor ability ....I had no idea about those 2

The way he is picking up Gilman and Kennedy and praising them is a nice touch....I am also seeing leadership 

Even the great John smith came away with a whole new impression post preseer

• Fire 1

If I was a recruit I think there was a lot to like in what he said. Things like we are going to have fun, because wrestling is hard and there is no need to make it harder. Or we will have a process, a process for getting to our attacks, a process for getting off bottom, a process for riding, etc. because wrestlers can relax and trust they have been prepared for any situation. Or we are just going to score points, because scoring is fun.

If I was one of the wrestlers present that he pointed to, or I was a high end recruit, I would be pretty jacked up hearing that message.

• Bob 2

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Posted (edited)

Taylor is definitely good on his (speaking) feet.  He hits the right notes.  He answers the questions rather than avoids them.  He praises others and gives credit where it is due.   He offers reasons for optimism.   He comes across as honest and genuine.  And he clearly is very competitive; but he not only wants to win, he wants to build a solid culture around the program.

The fact that he started and ran the M2 training center (with several others) mitigates his lack of experience coaching at the college level.   It's easy to see that he has leadership skills. 

But now, the real work begins. 

I'm hoping that the powers-that-be schedule a Penn State-Okie State dual this year or next.  

Edited by SocraTease
  • Bob 1

I agree that when he speaks as a coach he feels genuine and has that it factor. I do think if you followed his interviews since his world silver you can see the change. You can tell he did lots of introspection. I think that's where his language shift began. 

• Bob 1

I echo everything above. Also, what really came across to me, was just how hard this decision was for him. You can really see on his face he struggled with it and every time penn state was brought up you could almost see the pain as he had to talk about what he was leaving behind.

All that said, 100% agree that being uncomfortable is what drives growth and progress and I really hope he kills it there. Would love to see Oklahoma state return to the power that it was with a great group of guys wrestling for them. 

Any of you guys can link me Taylor's presser? You all sound fairly impressed with him. 

It'll be interesting seeing what happens to the Cowboys now. Things have got to improve. 

27 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

Any of you guys can link me Taylor's presser? You all sound fairly impressed with him. 

It'll be interesting seeing what happens to the Cowboys now. Things have got to improve. 

• Bob 1
  • Wrestle 1

One other thing I'll say.... I've gone over to the BWI forum and can't believe some of the people posting things about DT. How you can't be anything but happy for the guy is beyond me, not to mention tearing into him for not bowing down to Cael more in the presser (with John Smith sitting in the front row.)  Some of those fans really are the worst...

• Bob 2

I was impressed. Never really been a big fan, but his speech and answers sounded unscripted and honest.

He didn't say much about conversations with Cael. I'm sure Cael is happy for him, but it doesn't seem like he was encouraging Taylor to take the job. When you look at college and pro football, the top coaches seem really supportive of their assistants getting head coaching opportunities. You'd think Cael would want to create a successful coaching tree, and there is not a better landing spot for Taylor. But maybe he's not interested in true competition and wants to continue hoarding the best coaches and wrestlers (I could be interpreting this all wrong). Even as a Mizzou fan, this is exciting for college wrestling.

• Bob 1

4 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

I was impressed. Never really been a big fan, but his speech and answers sounded unscripted and honest.

He didn't say much about conversations with Cael. I'm sure Cael is happy for him, but it doesn't seem like he was encouraging Taylor to take the job. When you look at college and pro football, the top coaches seem really supportive of their assistants getting head coaching opportunities. You'd think Cael would want to create a successful coaching tree, and there is not a better landing spot for Taylor. But maybe he's not interested in true competition and wants to continue hoarding the best coaches and wrestlers (I could be interpreting this all wrong). Even as a Mizzou fan, this is exciting for college wrestling.

There is another video with him answering questions and he does say that Cael didn't want him to go but is happy for him. I expected Cael to encourage him to take it but not sure that was the case... 

One other thing I'll say.... I've gone over to the BWI forum and can't believe some of the people posting things about DT. How you can't be anything but happy for the guy is beyond me, not to mention tearing into him for not bowing down to Cael more in the presser (with John Smith sitting in the front row.)  Some of those fans really are the worst...

Are we ignoring the rumor (which they are clearly responding to) that he’s the one who gave the information about Brooks to Mineo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Are we ignoring the rumor (which they are clearly responding to) that he’s the one who gave the information about Brooks to Mineo?

Is there any reason to think this rumor is true? I won't ask where you heard it cause I wouldn't answer a question like that, but I could just ask if you believe said rumor?

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

38 minutes ago, Doublehalf said:

Not surprised. Both the Iowa and PSU boards can be disgustingly toxic.

This is probably true for any online community that gets large enough

• Bob 1

Is there any reason to think this rumor is true? I won't ask where you heard it cause I wouldn't answer a question like that, but I could just ask if you believe said rumor?

Brooks seemed to imply it in his interview with Basch today. Didn’t say it outright but seemed to be aimed at someone.

14 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Brooks seemed to imply it in his interview with Basch today. Didn’t say it outright but seemed to be aimed at someone.

Wow. I'm not saying Brooks is trolling, but he was really enjoying saying Taylor needs to find the lord...like enjoying it to an extent the lord might not like...

and yeah he implied it was taylor in my opinion, said something like "Its funny how things come out at certain times after someone loses"

• Fire 1

The competitive world is ruthless. Hell, life is ruthless, humans are ruthless. No matter what anyone says, wrestling won this week. We need to thank OkSt for making this happen. I am neutral here, but am as excited about college wrestling as I have been for a long time.  I'm hoping to live out the next 20 years watching great rivalries instead of a one team race. This is good for the other rop 10 programs as well. Over the next few years, if Taylor ends up taking some of the guys who would have gone to PSU that will help even the field. 

On a side note, I love to watch brooks wrestle, but I have a difficult time listening to him talk. His soft spoken it's about the Lord rhetoric comes off as arrogant. It is not humble. It is a slap in the face to those around him.  

• Bob 3

2 minutes ago, wrestlingshoe said:

On a side note, I love to watch brooks wrestle, but I have a difficult time listening to him talk. His soft spoken it's about the Lord rhetoric comes off as arrogant. It is not humble. It is a slap in the face to those around him.  

Matthew 6:5 is a great passage for cynics: "And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward."

• Bob 1

1 minute ago, Hammerlock3 said:

Matthew 6:5 is a great passage for cynics: "And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward."

I'm assuming you are agreeing with me unless I miss interpreted. I know the verse, but not sure what you are implying with the use of cynic.

• Bob 1

1 minute ago, wrestlingshoe said:

I'm assuming you are agreeing with me unless I miss interpreted. I know the verse, but not sure what you are implying with the use of cynic.

I'm agreeing with you, I just didn't want to come off as preachy while critiquing someone for being preachy, so i salted it with the implication that I was being slightly cynical.

• Bob 1
  • Potato 1

Just now, Hammerlock3 said:

I'm agreeing with you, I just didn't want to come off as preachy while critiquing someone for being preachy, so i salted it with the implication that I was being slightly cynical.

Got it.  And I'll add (hopefully not sounding preachy). Mathew 6:6 "But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

24 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

Wow. I'm not saying Brooks is trolling, but he was really enjoying saying Taylor needs to find the lord...like enjoying it to an extent the lord might not like...

and yeah he implied it was taylor in my opinion, said something like "Its funny how things come out at certain times after someone loses"

You think it is bad now..., wait until Brooks gets his personally autographed Donald Trump Bible - hand written by Jesus himself! (ane here you thought the J in Donald J Trump stood for Jenius)

• Haha 2

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

5 minutes ago, AgaveMaria said:

You think it is bad now..., wait until Brooks gets his personally autographed Donald Trump Bible - hand written by Jesus himself! (ane here you thought the J in Donald J Trump stood for Jenius)

If this happens i'll consider selling my soul to bring Christopher Hitchens back from the dead to hear the commentary.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

If this happens i'll consider selling my soul to bring Christopher Hitchens back from the dead to hear the commentary.

What..., you thought that "J" stood for Jenius?

Then again, he may well be. Any man who can go through 6 Bankruptcies and still be thought as a great business guy...

Edited by AgaveMaria

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.