• Playwire Ad Area

What I have learned the past two days...

I have tried, but I just don't like Greco-Roman, especially at the heavier weights. The lighter weights do some decent throws, but the heavier weights just push and push and push. Just not very compelling - actually boring. The women have been stellar.

2 minutes ago, JuanMogen said:

Greco has an inherently dumb rule set. It is very tough to get people to watch something that they don’t understand, but it’s worse when they do understand it and go “wtf?” 

Too funny!

Different strokes. I watched Greco in person at a World Trials and became a fan. They knock each other out, choke each other out, and toss each other.  I don't always get the same vibe watching on TV unless it's Champion Greco matches.  I did like watching Max Black wrestle this cycle.  While down in par terre, multiple times he hit reverses and then threw his opponent.

I think if we were more competitive internationally greco would be more enjoyable for me. I never enjoyed wrestling it personally (largely because I hand fought like a b*tch) but its hard to get super invested in the matches when we probably won't medal anyhow. I do think its really cool how good the service academies seem to be right now though.

1 minute ago, Truzzcat said:

I think if we were more competitive internationally greco would be more enjoyable for me. I never enjoyed wrestling it personally (largely because I hand fought like a b*tch) but its hard to get super invested in the matches when we probably won't medal anyhow. I do think its really cool how good the service academies seem to be right now though.

Which service academies have Greco?

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

4 hours ago, KennyEBHS said:

I have tried, but I just don't like Greco-Roman, especially at the heavier weights. The lighter weights do some decent throws, but the heavier weights just push and push and push. Just not very compelling - actually boring. The women have been stellar.

Greco was my favorite style as a wrestler, but at the upper levels greco has gotten whipsawed around because FILA/UWW believe they need to keep greco and freestyle rulesets as similar as possible.  If greco were allowed to be officiated and structured more enjoyably, it would be way better.  

As it is now…it’s trash.  The era of 2 minute periods absolutely ruined greco, and it has never recovered.

28 minutes ago, jross said:

Different strokes. I watched Greco in person at a World Trials and became a fan. They knock each other out, choke each other out, and toss each other.  I don't always get the same vibe watching on TV unless it's Champion Greco matches.  I did like watching Max Black wrestle this cycle.  While down in par terre, multiple times he hit reverses and then threw his opponent.

This. From a distance you don’t appreciate how much pummeling is going on. Need to be close enough to hear the thuds. That said, I appreciate the throws and the incredible lift/throws, but I would trade GR for more FS weights if it was an option.