• Playwire Ad Area

Columbia HC Tanelli resigns

On 4/26/2024 at 2:27 PM, Jim L said:

What is old is new.

In 1968 Columbia had widespread and even more radical student protest where students took over university buildings 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Columbia_University_protests

The protests came to a conclusion in the early morning hours of April 30, 1968, when the NYPD violently quashed the demonstrations, with tear gas, and stormed both Hamilton Hall and the Low Library. ... approximately 132 students, 4 faculty members and 12 police officers were injured, while over 700 protesters were arrested Violence continued into the following day with students armed with sticks battling with officers. Frank Gucciardi, a 34-year-old police officer, was permanently disabled when a student jumped onto him from a second story window, breaking his back.

The Wiki article mentions that there was long term effect on the university.

Columbia suffered quite a bit in the aftermath... Applications, endowments, and grants for the university declined significantly in the following years. "It took at least 20 years to fully recover.

Interestingly they don't mention how they have not had one single NCAA wrestling champion since the protest

On 4/26/2024 at 8:08 PM, billyhoyle said:

I guarantee you that the prestige Columbia has isn't going to transfer to Liberty U. All the top students will still want to go there, even if people who cable news don't understand. They also won't be any worse than they currently are at wrestling because of protests.  And they will find another wrestling coach that's as good as who they previously had, because unfortunately there aren't many D1 coaching jobs. 

Ordinarily I'd agree that a raucous protest or two isn't going to impact admissions, but the Columbia student population is over 22% Jewish.  If you were a Jewish parent, how would you feel about your kid going there right now?  This is a school that has long been a favorite of the Jewish community that is suddenly looking rather unwelcoming. I do think you'll see a slight dip in applicants, even if it is short term.  Long-term damage is doubtful (unless the admin botches the recent building takeover), but there's not much that separates the top schools, so it could slip a couple places in the rankings.   

56 minutes ago, BAC said:

Ordinarily I'd agree that a raucous protest or two isn't going to impact admissions, but the Columbia student population is over 22% Jewish.  If you were a Jewish parent, how would you feel about your kid going there right now?  This is a school that has long been a favorite of the Jewish community that is suddenly looking rather unwelcoming. I do think you'll see a slight dip in applicants, even if it is short term.  Long-term damage is doubtful (unless the admin botches the recent building takeover), but there's not much that separates the top schools, so it could slip a couple places in the rankings.   

Jewish parents are going to be thrilled if their kids get into Columbia. Because of that 22% population in the student body, it’s a much more welcoming environment than most other universities. The protests will be over soon. 

18 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

Jewish parents are going to be thrilled if their kids get into Columbia. Because of that 22% population in the student body, it’s a much more welcoming environment than most other universities. The protests will be over soon. 

You may be right, time will tell.

Personally, I would not like to see my kids go to an Ivy League institution. But I’ve felt this way long before recent events. The obsession with where you get your internship, what dorm you live in, are you hired by a blue chip company, and translating those things to status is a huge turn off to me.

With recent events and how the student body has acted at protests, clearly with very few having real knowledge of Israel and the Palestinians, and openly targeting Jewish students, I would actively discourage my kids from going.

I’d rather they attend a solid state school.

• 5 weeks later...