• Playwire Ad Area

Impact Freshmen coming in 24.

On 4/16/2024 at 10:09 AM, poorwrestler said:

Jamison and Spratley redshirted because they were not better than the person ahead of them. They transferred because when they were done redshirting, they still were not guaranteed their spots (especially Jamison, as shown by NCAA’s). What should have been done differently there?

I do not understand the panic against redshirting recruits. The overwhelming majority of transfers are grad transfers, the result of coaching changes, or guys in year 2 or 3 that can’t crack their lineup. Very few are legitimately being poached like Aaron Nagao. I think it is an overblown sentiment, and that’s coming from someone who roots for a team that has been more negatively impacted by the portal than any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard different on Spratley. I heard (1) he felt he could beat McKee, and wanted to show that at an open tourney they were both in the finals and troy found out that day it would be a double forfeit. (2) I heard Spratley wanted more Freestyle in the summer and had asked if they could bring a couple of guys in to help and they were told no. 

I heard different on Spratley. I heard (1) he felt he could beat McKee, and wanted to show that at an open tourney they were both in the finals and troy found out that day it would be a double forfeit. (2) I heard Spratley wanted more Freestyle in the summer and had asked if they could bring a couple of guys in to help and they were told no. 

There’s probably truth to that as well. I’m guessing there’s a lot of contributing factors to a big decision like that one. I don’t remember a double forfeit but it wouldn’t surprise me. I’d be surprised if he was told no to bringing in freestyle guys over the summer tho? Eggum and Steiner are pretty open to bringing in guys to train with the GWC.

Just now, poorwrestler said:

There’s probably truth to that as well. I’m guessing there’s a lot of contributing factors to a big decision like that one. I don’t remember a double forfeit but it wouldn’t surprise me. I’d be surprised if he was told no to bringing in freestyle guys over the summer tho? Eggum and Steiner are pretty open to bringing in guys to train with the GWC.

I am too lazy to look it up, but that is what I was told.  I cannot remember the name of one of the guys he wanted to come in, but I think one of the coaches he wanted to bring in was John Hardy, his high school coach. 

I am too lazy to look it up, but that is what I was told.  I cannot remember the name of one of the guys he wanted to come in, but I think one of the coaches he wanted to bring in was John Hardy, his high school coach. 

Yes. The Hardy situation was… an odd one.

5 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

Yes. The Hardy situation was… an odd one.

really odd. So the guy wrestled for you guys? (Gophers) and then finished career at OKIE STATE? He also coached Conrad the OU 125 

23 hours ago, MPhillips said:

I suppose it's possible... He's been at 132/60kg since 2023. I would imagine he's pulling a bit of weight to be there. 

Maybe Mendez RS's, Bouzakis moves up and Davino slots in at 33? 

I see no way that Jesse Mendez takes a redshirt. Dude just won a natty and seems to be about the most competitive athlete in college wrestling. 

• Bob 2

7 hours ago, lisa morales said:

Rune Lawerence will probably start right away at 197 for West Virginia, 4x Pa state champ 145-7 career record and should be an upgrade right off the bat 197 for WV

- Better hope he turns out better than his brother who is tragic.  

Thayne was very good but not near as good as Rune imo and while Lehigh does tremendous with their lighter weights they seem to have issues developing the heavier guys.

5 minutes ago, Gus said:

I see no way that Jesse Mendez takes a redshirt. Dude just won a natty and seems to be about the most competitive athlete in college wrestling. 

I agree but if it's best for the team I think he would do it. I also think he may want to grow into a 149 to be full sized for 65kg moving forward so he could use a year to do that.

• Bob 1

3 hours ago, H82Lose said:

really odd. So the guy wrestled for you guys? (Gophers) and then finished career at OKIE STATE? He also coached Conrad the OU 125 

John Hardy who was the club coach for Jamison and Spratley, wrestled for the Gophers for 2 or 3 seasons around 2000-2002, after transferring from Neosho CC.  He was listed as a Senior in 2022 in the program and I don't remember him wrestling anywhere else after that, but he may have.  I saw him at a lot of the home Gopher matches when the two were redshirting in 22-23. Jamison said in an interview that Hardy recommending Minnesota as how he found out about the program and decided to come here.

• Brain 1

Brandon cannon is registered for 70kg for u20's I think thats notable I'm super high on him and he jumped up weight a lot in High school being at 106 and then I heard was sub 100lbs after his treatments he may be growing late and I think he'd be a great option at 157.

18 minutes ago, Cowboy08 said:

No mention of Christian Carroll for Oklahoma State?  I think he can be a high all American next year

If he can maintain his strength at 197 he could be a real problem. He looked good at the trials but that's 16 more pounds, with lots weigh-ins for college.

Thayne was very good but not near as good as Rune imo and while Lehigh does tremendous with their lighter weights they seem to have issues developing the heavier guys.

- Can't remember any PA two-time state champ who has been worse than Thayne Lawrence.  He gets absolutely trashed by just about everyone.