• Playwire Ad Area

Next Schools to drop wrestling

1 hour ago, Greenwave said:

What s everyone’s predictions  on what schools will drop wresting.?

have to believe SoCon, MAC, Along with CSU

A Pennsylvania school is very due.  The small schools are hanging on by the skin of their teeth, and their programs are as low as they have ever been.  I’d call either Clarion or Bloomsburg if I had to be that guy.

Either that or a Cali school, much as I hate to say it.  That state seems to hate fun, and any venture that is low overhead high return for that matter?

”Yeah…we can’t manage the overhead of some floorspace and a coaching position…[spends a million dollars annually on football gear]”

19 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

A Pennsylvania school is very due.  The small schools are hanging on by the skin of their teeth, and their programs are as low as they have ever been.  I’d call either Clarion or Bloomsburg if I had to be that guy.

Either that or a Cali school, much as I hate to say it.  That state seems to hate fun, and any venture that is low overhead high return for that matter?

”Yeah…we can’t manage the overhead of some floorspace and a coaching position…[spends a million dollars annually on football gear]”

Bloomsburg, Lock Haven, and the PennWest schools (Clarion and Edinboro) all have the option of simply dropping to D-2 if they so desire, they don't have to drop the sport entirely.

• Bob 1

42 minutes ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

What an idiotic and pessimistic post, schools are adding wrestling, albeit at smaller schools, at a good rate. Be positive brotha! 

You beat me to it... I'm not a superstitious person, except when it comes to this topic. 

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

38 minutes ago, NitneLiun said:

Edinboro is close to closing the doors.  I guess that would be like dropping wrestling.

They consolidated a few years ago with Clarion and California. I think one of the conditions for that was the campus stays open. 

11 hours ago, JuanMogen said:

How about we just drop Greco from the whole country? Would probably impact fewer people. 

You are killing the next trend.... Greco, Sand and Grappling for all schools. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

41 minutes ago, PacMan said:

Duke and Bakersfield seem to be extremely vulnerable due to indifferent administrations.

The hope is that since Bakersfield is self-funded it will hang on since they aren't bothering anyone.  Very sad for a state that has a solid high school base. Also sad for what California uses taxes for rather than something positive like wrestling. Maybe the key to add wrestling in California is to add a safe needle space and pooping sidewalk? @flyingcement????

• Bob 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

The hope is that since Bakersfield is self-funded it will hang on since they aren't bothering anyone.  Very sad for a state that has a solid high school base. Also sad for what California uses taxes for rather than something positive like wrestling. Maybe the key to add wrestling in California is to add a safe needle space and pooping sidewalk? @flyingcement????

What do they use taxes for?  That's a good question.  My car was nailed in a hit and run and since I didn't actively require medical attention, the police refused to turn up.  

• Poopy 1

6 minutes ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Hofstra, the administration doesn’t care about winning and 0 points at NCAAs. What the hell happened to American? 0 points at NCAAs. 

My pick though, one that rarely gets mentioned

Franklin & Marshall

0 points at NCAA Tournament happens but Hofstra at EIWA Tournament is alarming.

Final Team Scores

1. Cornell - 164.6

2. Lehigh - 159.5

3. Army - 95.5

4. Columbia - 90.5

4. Penn - 90.5

6. Navy - 79.5

7. Bucknell - 72

8. Binghamton - 68.5

8. Princeton - 68.5

10. Harvard - 52

11. Brown - 35

12. Drexel - 28.5

13. American - 27

13. Franklin & Marshall - 27

15. Long Island University - 25

16. Hofstra - 15

17. Sacred Heart - 9.5

19 minutes ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Hofstra, the administration doesn’t care about winning and 0 points at NCAAs. What the hell happened to American? 0 points at NCAAs. 

My pick though, one that rarely gets mentioned

Franklin & Marshall

https://lancasteronline.com/sports/local_sports/5-million-gift-will-fund-franklin-marshall-wrestling/article_7dbcf3a2-3d34-11e4-b8f2-0017a43b2370.html

• Fire 1

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

The only way to ensure wrestling is not dropped as a collegiate varsity sport is through active alumni involvement and funding. Brown tried to drop wrestling twice, once in 1974 when I was there, and again in 2011.

I was in the class of 1975, and besides being a wrestler, I became an activist along with the rest of the team. The University had announced that the program was to be eliminated in 1974, and the situation looked bleak. There was no alumni outreach at the time, so we created one. And our heavyweight, Mike Wallace (a National Prep Champion), who was also on the football team, convinced Joe Wirth, an assistant football coach, to also be the head wrestling coach, despite Joe knowing next to nothing about wrestling, which ultimately was enough to appease the University to keep the program alive.  And the program survived to see better days, unlike the programs at Yale and Dartmouth, even with Yale having a national champion, Jim Bennett, during my time at Brown. It is truly a shame these programs did not survive. 

Then, later Dave Amato became Brown’s head wrestling coach in 1983, who through a 30-year career went on to become the most successful head coach yet in Brown University wrestling history, with over 300 dual meet victories. During this period, ten of his wrestlers captured EIWA Championships, while two were named the Outstanding Wrestler at the Tournament. Amato's wrestlers placed 116 times at EIWA Championships. A total of 27 of Amato's Bears have earned First Team All-Ivy honors 44 times, including four-time All-Ivy Joe Mocco '93.

In 1992, Amato was named EIWA Coach of the Year after he led the Bears to a record 19 victories and saw four Brown wrestlers qualify for the NCAA Championships. In 1993, Brown sent a record-setting six wrestlers to the NCAA's, the most ever in Amato's career. In addition, Amato's 379 career wins ranked in the top three (at the time) among all NCAA Division I active coaches. Finally, two of Amato's wrestlers earned All-American recognition, Willie Carpenter in 1996 and Tivon Abel in 1998.

Near the end of Amato’s’ tenure after a poor season in 2010, the University again decided to eliminate the program in 2011. Though uncertainty over the future of the team was a source of stress for players and coaches alike during the last few months of the 2011 season, Amato said the seniors "rallied like crazy" to preserve a sense of unity. "Those were the guys who kept everyone else around," he said, and the players were approaching this season with "renewed vigor to save the program.”

This time with very active alumni support, the team was able to rally against the threat of elimination through the Save Brown Wrestling campaign. "When your sport is on the chopping block, you could see that it re-energized us,"  "It was a calling."

Well, no more elimination threats, with the wrestling program winning Brown’s one-day fundraising contest last year among its other 28 varsity programs, raising over $400,000 in a single day, with close to 400 wrestling alumni contributing, providing second-year coach Jordan Leen the funding he needed to assemble an outstanding coaching staff and a renewed recruiting vigor.