• Playwire Ad Area

Poll: Who is the GOAT American wrestler?

peanut

Who is the GOAT American wrestler?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the GOAT American wrestler?

• JB (7x world-level gold medalist, 10x world-level medalist, 2x NCAA champ)
    • Smith (6x world-level gold medalist, 2x NCAA champ)
    • Big Bruce (5x world-level gold medalist, 13x world-level medalist, 1x NCAA champ)
    • Dake (4x world-level gold medalist, 6x world-level medalist, 4x NCAA champ)
    • Snyder (4x world-level gold medalist, 9x world-level medalist, 3x NCAA champ)
    • Gable (2x world-level gold medalist, 2x world-level NCAA champ)
    • Sanderson (1x world-level gold medalist, 2x world-level medalist, 4x NCAA champ)
    • Someone Else (Kemp, DT, etc)

A question I’d love to find a way to craft some criteria around would be “who was the best in their prime?”

Internationally, I think the best American to take the mat was probably ‘72 Gable, followed by 2011-12 JB.  100% unstoppable outmatching everyone in the weight by a country mile.

Domestically, ‘02 Cael by a country mile. I’m a bit too young to be able to speak to what it was like watching Gable in college, that would be really cool to hear about if anybody on here was around for some of that.

• Brain 1

the way you wrote out their credentials is confusing.

You have Dake listed who only has a Bronze and not DT who is going to win his 2nd Gold?  Olympic Golds are the standard bearer not World Championships IMO

• Fire 1

32 minutes ago, HarryConnickJr said:

Since we are going for vibes as criteria, I voted for Gable. If US wrestling had/has a face, it’s him

Perhaps to older folks.  But I’d say time has moved on.  If there is a face for US wrestling now I’d say JB or Taylor.  

If Dake is an option in this poll, Taylor should be.  

My vote - JB.  Has reached the pinnacle more.  And has duration going for him as well.  I get the Smith votes though.

• Bob 1

2 minutes ago, BarSeries said:

The guy who won 6 world championships IN A ROW

and never lost one.  Yes the poll presentation is a bit biased. 

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

48 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

Perhaps to older folks.  But I’d say time has moved on.  If there is a face for US wrestling now I’d say JB or Taylor.  

If Dake is an option in this poll, Taylor should be.  

My vote - JB.  Has reached the pinnacle more.  And has duration going for him as well.  I get the Smith votes though.

Well...yeah, he was Wrestling in the 1960s. I would say a 50-60 year run is pretty good. He's also the Wrestler I'd bet most people who don't follow the sport can still cite.

Sure are a lot more kids in the sport named Gable these days...probably only surpassed by Cael or some version thereof. 

• Bob 1

36 minutes ago, ionel said:

and never lost one.  Yes the poll presentation is a bit biased. 

Yeah, Smith was incredible. 

I voted for Snyder just because I think Sadulaev, the guy who's mostly stopped him from matching Smith, is the greatest Wrestler EVER. 

But I don't think there's a wrong answer in there. 

• Bob 2
  • Fire 2

14 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

Yeah, Smith was incredible. 

I voted for Snyder just because I think Sadulaev, the guy who's mostly stopped him from matching Smith, is the greatest Wrestler EVER. 

But I don't think there's a wrong answer in there. 

What about the 20 year old who crushed Snyder and Sadulaev?  Isn't it hard for Sad to be the greatest ever when that happened at the most recent worlds?  That kind of dents the idea that Snyder is an all-timer stuck behind an all-timer.  

• Fire 1

9 minutes ago, boconnell said:

What about the 20 year old who crushed Snyder and Sadulaev?  Isn't it hard for Sad to be the greatest ever when that happened at the most recent worlds?  That kind of dents the idea that Snyder is an all-timer stuck behind an all-timer.  

I think he was juiced to the gills and Sadulaev clearly not himself. 

He was slick, but I don't think one tournament changes...what, almost 20 years of international Wrestling. 

37 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

He was slick, but I don't think one tournament changes...what, almost 20 years of international Wrestling. 

Sadulaev IS juiced to the gills, I'd like to believe Snyder isn't and that has played a factor

• Bob 1

2 hours ago, BarSeries said:

I will bring up the standard counter that there were 10 weight classes and only one Soviet/Russian when Smith wrestled.

Edited by Jim L
  • Bob 1

2 hours ago, scourge165 said:

What are you basing the juiced stuff on? 

You can't declare a guy the best wrestler ever 7 months after he got crushed in his prime by a 20 year old.  

1 hour ago, boconnell said:

What are you basing the juiced stuff on? 

You can't declare a guy the best wrestler ever 7 months after he got crushed in his prime by a 20 year old.  

What’s crazy is that at 2023 worlds Snyder was already a year older than Smith was when he retired. 

32 minutes ago, peanut said:

What’s crazy is that at 2023 worlds Snyder was already a year older than Smith was when he retired. 

Yep.  I was talking about Sadulaev being in his prime.  But Smith definitely quit competing young, and Snyder is sneakily older than he seems.    

12 minutes ago, boconnell said:

Yep.  I was talking about Sadulaev being in his prime.  But Smith definitely quit competing young, and Snyder is sneakily older than he seems.    

He and Sad are within a few months of each other.

5 hours ago, BarSeries said:

But then you start adding new criteria... In a row, longevity, ability to make money, #of Russians in the weight, going undefeated when you win gold, rule sets, how many different rule sets did you win under, how many weight classes, winning with a an injury, who did you beat on the way to your gold. I'm sure I missed a few criteria.

The best way to look at it, like someone already said, the best at their prime... But that's a judgment call. 

• Bob 1