• Playwire Ad Area

App St vs North Carolina

flyingcement

4 hours ago, Dark Energy said:

Thank you.  Seems like many threads nowadays lack actual results.  I appreciate it.

We need your play-by-plays.

They are good for keeping conversation focused and engaged on what is actually happening.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

9 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Wouldn't have predicted that one right. 

I'd forgotten that Jack Wagner transferred from UNI to NC.  I'd guess going down to 125 isn't easy for him. 

• Fire 1

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

In 1990, I worked on the App. Trail for a summer.  I found that specific area of NC to be one of the most beautiful places that I've seen.

I was initially surprised (then, not so much so, when I saw the area), to learn that Mount Mitchell in NC (right by Boone) is the highest elevation east of the Mississippi.

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

7 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

In 1990, I worked on the App. Trail for a summer.  I found that specific area of NC to be one of the most beautiful places that I've seen.

I was initially surprised (then, not so much so, when I saw the area), to learn that Mount Mitchell in NC (right by Boone) is the highest elevation east of the Mississippi.

Mt. Mitchell State Park- Highest Peak east of the Rocky Mountains - Burke  County Tourism

• Fire 2

2 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Mt. Mitchell State Park- Highest Peak east of the Rocky Mountains - Burke  County Tourism

That's a beautiful pic. I've wanted to get back since 1990. Came close a few years ago by visiting Virginia again. 

2 hours ago, H82Lose said:

No easy way to get there 

When I wrestled in the App State open as a freshman. We were car pooling and we were driving through the windy mountain road and were all kinda wondering if we were going the right way. Then it opened up to the gorgeous campus and town.. and we started wondering if we should have gone there instead lol 

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

Match highlights are now featured on video at the Tarheels' wrestling page:

https://goheels.com/sports/wrestling

Didn't App. State's rival Campbell U.  (also in North Carolina) demonstrate to its share of D1 powerhouses that SoCon schools can get it done, too?   Admittedly Coach Kolat left rather soon, for Annapolis.  But they continue winning...   Parity's good for our sport.

What I don't fully understand is why the abundance of NCAA & NAIA wrestling programs in Carolina and the proximity to far more in neighboring Virginia (and increasingly in SC, GA and AL) hasn't made North Carolina a high school wrestling powerhouse.   Any thoughts?    It's not like there's a lack of college wrestling opportunities for them to aspire to.  Or do the college coaches in North Carolina reputedly overlook potential winners from North Carolina?

Either way, it's interesting how the Tarheels already have a woman on their roster:

https://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2022/01/unc-wrestling-marisol-nugent-first-female-wrestler-on-unc-d1-roster?fbclid=IwAR0mVD73-62TK9T5UlK00e8X6AQiosBcIZV-glRXdrkpc7vb1MO-Kl4zEpI

More to come?    Hopefully so.  Iowa head coach Clarissa Chun deserves to get to wrestle more than 1 NCAA D1 dual when visiting the Carolinas.  Might you agree?   

wrestling in dresses.jpg

On 12/17/2022 at 1:45 PM, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Match highlights are now featured on video at the Tarheels' wrestling page:

https://goheels.com/sports/wrestling

Didn't App. State's rival Campbell U.  (also in North Carolina) demonstrate to its share of D1 powerhouses that SoCon schools can get it done, too?   Admittedly Coach Kolat left rather soon, for Annapolis.  But they continue winning...   Parity's good for our sport.

What I don't fully understand is why the abundance of NCAA & NAIA wrestling programs in Carolina and the proximity to far more in neighboring Virginia (and increasingly in SC, GA and AL) hasn't made North Carolina a high school wrestling powerhouse.   Any thoughts?    It's not like there's a lack of college wrestling opportunities for them to aspire to.  Or do the college coaches in North Carolina reputedly overlook potential winners from North Carolina?

Either way, it's interesting how the Tarheels already have a woman on their roster:

https://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2022/01/unc-wrestling-marisol-nugent-first-female-wrestler-on-unc-d1-roster?fbclid=IwAR0mVD73-62TK9T5UlK00e8X6AQiosBcIZV-glRXdrkpc7vb1MO-Kl4zEpI

More to come?    Hopefully so.  Iowa head coach Clarissa Chun deserves to get to wrestle more than 1 NCAA D1 dual when visiting the Carolinas.  Might you agree?   

wrestling in dresses.jpg

Too many kids focusing on basketball…  Not to mention the state tournament is watered down with I think 4 state champs

• Fire 1