• Playwire Ad Area

Tom Ryan on FRL

10 minutes ago, Show_Me said:

Not sure how you define “small school” but Feldkamp, Buchanan & Caleb Smith immediately come to mind without even looking at brackets/rosters.

Hard to believe that you don’t see the damage the Portal is having on smaller Programs.

Key words in what you quoted are “as a freshman or sophomore.”  Feldkamp spent 3 years at Northern Illinois and 2 and Clarion before going to ISU. Smith spent 4 years at App State.    Buchanan spent 3 at Wyoming (w/no redshirt).

Closest this year would probably be Isaiah Powe of UTC, but he only went 1-2 at NCAA’s.

My point is the guys transferring out of smaller schools are typically doing so after first spending 3+ postseasons at the original school.  That combined with the fact that the smaller schools are also GETTING transfers from bigger schools leads me to believe that the transfer portal isn’t a death sentence for smaller schools.

• Brain 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/12/2024 at 2:44 PM, 1032004 said:

Agree to disagree, at least for wrestling (I’ve heard there’s much more craziness in football and basketball). I don’t think kids (which most are when they commit) should be forced to lose 25% of their eligibility if they don’t like the school, or even if they can’t make the lineup.  Especially when coaches aren’t held to the same standard.

It will be interesting to see how many less transfers there are after the Covid year guys are gone.  And even outside of grad transfers, I think most big name transfers have spent 3 postseasons at their original school.

Outside of circumstances like your coach leaving or your program getting cut, I may be forgetting someone but I literally can’t think of one guy that was at a small school, had a breakout year in the NCAA as a freshman or sophomore and then portaled.   Closest would be Mesenbrink but his breakout wasn’t in the NCAA and IIRC it really started before he was even a student at Cal Baptist.  Some may say Nagao but Minnesota isn’t a small school. 

15 hours ago, Show_Me said:

Not sure how you define “small school” but Feldkamp, Buchanan & Caleb Smith immediately come to mind without even looking at brackets/rosters.

Hard to believe that you don’t see the damage the Portal is having on smaller Programs.

All three of these guy were upperclassmen. 103 said freshman or sophomore then portaled. 

Sorry, jumped the gun on this post before getting to page 3 and see it had already been discussed.

Edited by Winners Circle