• Playwire Ad Area

Last Chance Qualifiers - Brackets & Discussion

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Agree with all of this.

Forrest also wore a France one against Rodriguez.

Lol this seems like a stretch.  Has Vito ever even worn a Belarus singlet in a competition?

LOL yourself.  How many national teams has Vito been on, and how many red/blue singlets do you think he owns?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Gus said:

Who is this Gunderson cat at 86kg?

I was wondering this too.  Whipped Brands 10-0, then proved it wasn't a fluke in beating him again for third.  Maybe Brands is a bit rusty but Gunderson had other good wins too, including techs over Foca and Lujan.

Looks like he's finishing into his RS sophomore year at Northern Iowa:

https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/73049/gunderson-john/profile

Not the most impressive results.  Starter in 2022 as a true frosh where he got whooped, then redshirted in 2023, and a non-starter this year with a couple losses at Soldier Salute.  But I wonder if he's turned a corner after rolling around with Keckeisen.  He was a big 86kg'er, and looks like an absolute unit.

Will be interesting to see how he does in college next season.  Looks like 2 years of eligibility left, maybe 3 if there's an extra Covid year floating around in there.

• Bob 1

1 minute ago, BAC said:

I was wondering this too.  Whipped Brands 10-0, then proved it wasn't a fluke in beating him again for third.  Maybe Brands is a bit rusty but Gunderson had other good wins too, including techs over Foca and Lujan.

Looks like he's finishing into his RS sophomore year at Northern Iowa:

https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/73049/gunderson-john/profile

Not the most impressive results.  Starter in 2022 as a true frosh where he got whooped, then redshirted in 2023, and a non-starter this year with a couple losses at Soldier Salute.  But I wonder if he's turned a corner after rolling around with Keckeisen.  He was a big 86kg'er, and looks like an absolute unit.

Will be interesting to see how he does in college next season.  Looks like 2 years of eligibility left, maybe 3 if there's an extra Covid year floating around in there.

Teching Brands, Lujan and Foca is no joke. Will be interesting to see how he fits in with Keck and Voelker. 

• Bob 2

20 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Unless Eierman retires from competition, I think he should consider giving 70 KG a proper go.  He was clearly out of it at 65 KG.  If his aim is to wrestle for an Olympic spot proper, he needs to head to 74 KG.

It wasn't the weight.  Its not like he was fading at the end of matches.  He was just flat-out getting wrecked and looked out of it mentally.  I give him credit for going thru wrestlebacks but I think the Missou freshman version of Eierman would have torched this version, much less the version that was going toe-to-toe with Lee/Rivera a couple years ago.  I'm sure the HWC stipend is nice but I think he knows its time to move on.

• Bob 2

8 minutes ago, Gus said:

Teching Brands, Lujan and Foca is no joke. Will be interesting to see how he fits in with Keck and Voelker. 

Curious if 174lbs is an option.  They had another gent Runyon, who was 174lbs, looking thicc as well.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

10 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

LOL yourself.  How many national teams has Vito been on, and how many red/blue singlets do you think he owns?

So you’re really going with you think Knox wore a Belarus singlet because a guy who graduated from the school he committed to was born there?  Even though said guy always goes out of his way to say he’s “from Long Island”?

10 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Curious if 174lbs is an option.  They had another gent Runyon, who was 174lbs, looking thicc as well.

To me he looked big at 86kg. He looked significantly bigger than Brands. 

14 hours ago, Ahap88 said:

Carroll's dad responded to one of my posts earlier today on another forum and said

"He will be at 197 for sure next season". End quote. He will be lean and mean, he looked fantastic today, sharp and quick as hell.

Just give him another year in OSU's room. He'll be at 184. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Gus said:

Brands is a poor example.  He is a bloated 74 KG or 165lber.

11 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

So you’re really going with you think Knox wore a Belarus singlet because a guy who graduated from the school he committed to was born there?  Even though said guy always goes out of his way to say he’s “from Long Island”?

I got to go with the zealot here.  He probably got the singlet from him while on a visit.

9 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Its kind of confusing but I think he's saying it was a gift from Vito.  Which has me wondering if it before his Oct 2023 commitment, in which case it was a recruiting violation, or if it was after Oct 2023 -- i.e. in the last 6 months, which also would be weird since it would be mid-season for both of them.  Did Vito, like, suddenly FedEx a BLR singlet to Knox for no apparent reason? 

Its beyond me why anyone would care where the singlet came from, but now I'm kinda curious.  BigRedFan, care to enlighten? 

3 minutes ago, Gus said:

Much bigger.  Bigger than every other 86kg'er at the tournament.  

Can't help but think that it played a role in some of his wins against more well-known opponents (although Lujan looked huge too).

• Bob 1

6 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Brands is a poor example.  He is a bloated 74 KG or 165lber.

Fair enough. He also looked significantly bigger than Morgan McIntosh who I could qualify as a full sized 86kg. 

• Bob 1

1 minute ago, Gus said:

Fair enough. He also looked significantly bigger than Morgan McIntosh who I could qualify as a full sized 86kg. 

What is odd to me is that McFadden, who is an average 79 KG guy didn't look small against McIntosh.

It was even more odd that Pyle said McFadden wrestled 157/165 which he clearly said to make it seem like a larger gap.  I wanted to slap him for that one.

10 minutes ago, BAC said:

Its kind of confusing but I think he's saying it was a gift from Vito.  Which has me wondering if it before his Oct 2023 commitment, in which case it was a recruiting violation, or if it was after Oct 2023 -- i.e. in the last 6 months, which also would be weird since it would be mid-season for both of them.  Did Vito, like, suddenly FedEx a BLR singlet to Knox for no apparent reason? 

Its beyond me why anyone would care where the singlet came from, but now I'm kinda curious.  BigRedFan, care to enlighten? 

FFS.  Did you see who was in Knox's corner?  How about this simple explanation:  Mike Grey, like probably all other coaches, brings a bunch of red and blue singlets whenever he goes to tournaments like this, and Knox needed a red singlet that fit him.  Grey gave him one.  While Vito (or his dad!) is undoubtedly the source of the singlet, that doesn't mean he gave it to Knox.

• Bob 1

4 minutes ago, BAC said:

Yeah, it’s possible (likely maybe) he got it from Vito, I’m more interested in the why he’d actually wear it.   As some sort of homage to Vito doesn’t really make sense since I don’t recall Vito ever wearing one, but I could be wrong.   And then of course the bigger issue being the optics with right now seeming like not the best time to be wearing that.  Which would go back to your point about when Vito gave it to him, since Vito giving it to him in the first place after the war started would seem a bit odd.

10 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

And then of course the bigger issue being the optics with right now seeming like not the best time to be wearing that.

HS sophomores may not be tuned into world politics...

• Bob 2

1 hour ago, MPhillips said:

HS sophomores may not be tuned into world politics...

you mean to tell me this isn't a political movement to provoke the niche hardcore fans of our already niche community?

I'm interested to see how Kolodzik does in two weeks. He looked as sharp as I've seen him. Teched everyone he wrestled without giving up an offensive point. I think he has a better chance of a deep run than anyone else at Last Chance, given his experience and the lack of an absolute hammer at 65kg.

• Bob 1

8 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Your claim outrages me.

Your claim has pushed me over the limit, I am so outraged.