• Playwire Ad Area

Cody Brewer leaving Virginia Tech for Princeton AHC role

Just now, Le duke said:

Mekhi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a bad choice!  There was some chatter on the Virginia Tech boards about whether or not Seidel would stay committed given this change.  Apparently he was quite close with  or fond of Brewer.  

1 minute ago, flyingcement said:

Not a bad choice!  There was some chatter on the Virginia Tech boards about whether or not Seidel would stay committed given this change.  Apparently he was quite close with  or fond of Brewer.  

Virginia Tech has boards? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

@ionel btw you've got quite the rotation of avatars going!

In the midst of a campaign, guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do.  

• Haha 1
  • Ionel 1

5 hours ago, Le duke said:

Mekhi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't he going to see what he can do at the Sr level before getting into coaching, if he's actually interested in coaching? 

11 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

Isn't he going to see what he can do at the Sr level before getting into coaching, if he's actually interested in coaching? 

who says he's interested in the sr level?

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

21 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

Mekhi has a LOT of wear and tear on his body, not to mention he's a pretty heft 'tweener.  He's got the skillset to be very good in freestyle...but I don't know how many joints he has left to sacrifice at the alter of wrestling.

I don't think Mekhi is anywhere near healthy enough currently to try and wrestle on the SR Level. 

Do they look to bring back a former Hokie like Brascetta from Maryland or Dance from American? Or do they go outside the program? 

Edited by VAtoSC

21 minutes ago, VAtoSC said:

I don't think Mekhi is anywhere near healthy enough currently to try and wrestle on the SR Level. 

Do they look to bring back a former Hokie like Brascetta from Maryland or Dance from American? Or do they go outside the program? 

Robie has been pretty good at pulling in high profile guys from a variety of places...very difficult to predict, doubt he'll jump at a tech guy. Seems likely a smaller guy who can be a practice partner is a priority, or maybe midsized depending on how much frayer is wrestling these days. Another concern might be if they are worried about Henson getting portal swooped, maybe you get someone to challenge him.

Edited by Hammerlock3

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

No idea who they'll go after.  Brewer is a guy that's transitioned really naturally into coaching.  Definitely can see him running a program down the line.

This being an Olympic year, will we see some guys hang it up that might also be poised to make a natural transition?  

Looking at lightweights... maybe Gilman, Richards, or McKenna?  I could see all three being strong technical coaches and potentially good recruiters. 

If it's a lateral, hard to say who would go from an assistant gig to another assistant gig without a clear progression path, with Frayer already in the associate HC role (unless he's poised to leave soon for a HC job).  

18 hours ago, steamboat_charlie said:

No idea who they'll go after.  Brewer is a guy that's transitioned really naturally into coaching.  Definitely can see him running a program down the line.

This being an Olympic year, will we see some guys hang it up that might also be poised to make a natural transition?  

Looking at lightweights... maybe Gilman, Richards, or McKenna?  I could see all three being strong technical coaches and potentially good recruiters. 

If it's a lateral, hard to say who would go from an assistant gig to another assistant gig without a clear progression path, with Frayer already in the associate HC role (unless he's poised to leave soon for a HC job).  

I doubt Brewer would have left if he had any inclination that Frayer was planning too leave, because then Brewer could have slid into AHC role at VT (instead of the same role at Princeton).

1 hour ago, Winners Circle said:

I doubt Brewer would have left if he had any inclination that Frayer was planning too leave, because then Brewer could have slid into AHC role at VT (instead of the same role at Princeton).

Fair point.  

However, it's possible Frayer is a a year or two away from helming his own program, and Brewer preferred to make this jump now to accelerate his own progress and shorten the timeline to a HC role.  

If that's the case you might be able to lure a promising AC from another program that has an AHC ahead of them who's not likely to leave.  

On 4/9/2024 at 4:24 PM, steamboat_charlie said:

I feel like I read or heard an interview where McKenna said he was going to the Wharton school of business when he started training at penn RTC so he probably has a big $$ job waiting I don’t think he goes into college coaching in any full time capacity, Gilman is a weird dude idk if he goes into coaching 

20 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I feel like I read or heard an interview where McKenna said he was going to the Wharton school of business when he started training at penn RTC so he probably has a big $$ job waiting I don’t think he goes into college coaching in any full time capacity, Gilman is a weird dude idk if he goes into coaching 

Re: McKenna that makes complete sense.  Smart kid.  

Gilman is weird but I think he could be interested in coaching.  Despite his quirks he does have a fairly cerebral approach to the sport.  

3 hours ago, steamboat_charlie said:

Re: McKenna that makes complete sense.  Smart kid.  

Gilman is weird but I think he could be interested in coaching.  Despite his quirks he does have a fairly cerebral approach to the sport.  

Not disagreeing with your take on Gilman I just meant he might stop wrestling and start climbing mountains or end up a hippie living in the desert or something else wild and unexpected bc he is just a different kind of cat then most of your average  high level guys