• Playwire Ad Area

European OG Qualifiers

https://uww.org/article/european-og-qualifiers-2024-entry-list

The list of wrestlers at the European qualifiers has just been released and there are still some big - and not so big - names and potential Olympic medal contenders to qualify.

57kg:  Aryan Tsiutryn, Aliabbas Rzazade, Vladimer Egorov and Suleyman Atli

65kg:  Haji Aliev, Islam Dudaev and Niurgun Skryabin

74kg:  Magomedkhabib Kadimagomedov, Taimuraz Salkazanov, Frank Chamizo and Soner Demirtas

86kg:  Artur Naifonov, Osman Nurmagomedov and Dauren Kurugliev

97kg: Abdulrashid Sadulaev, Aliaksandr Hushtyn and Magomedgadzhi Nurov

125kg:  Alen Khubulov, Giorgi Meshvildishvili Abraham Conyedo and Oleksandr Khotianovsky

There are many European champions (Salkazanov) and medallists (Demirtas), World champions  (Haji Aliev) and medallists (Nurmagomedov); Olympic champions (Sadulaev) medalilsts from 2021 (Kadimagomedov)

This qualifying tournament will begin on April 2nd and will produce the next round of 2024 Paris Olympians

I was about to post this, glad I checked to see if anyone else did...
Geeeeeeez 74 and 86kg are loaded with talent. Some monsters are going to end up at last chance. 
As far as what we are concerned about 
57kg  our rep can beat the whole bracket but at least 2 guys that could provide difficult hurdles won't make it. 

65kg: Similar at least one of Aliyev/Skriabin/Dudaev wont make it, and then guys like, Arsamerzouev, Arushanian, Dzebisashvili, and even Kizhan (Andre) Clarke, could spring upsets on whoever we send to last chance.  

I remain more nervous about 65kg than I am about 57kg 

6 hours ago, Spladle08 said:

I was about to post this, glad I checked to see if anyone else did...
Geeeeeeez 74 and 86kg are loaded with talent. Some monsters are going to end up at last chance. 
As far as what we are concerned about 
57kg  our rep can beat the whole bracket but at least 2 guys that could provide difficult hurdles won't make it. 

65kg: Similar at least one of Aliyev/Skriabin/Dudaev wont make it, and then guys like, Arsamerzouev, Arushanian, Dzebisashvili, and even Kizhan (Andre) Clarke, could spring upsets on whoever we send to last chance.  

I remain more nervous about 65kg than I am about 57kg 

I am really interested to find out who you will send: Arijau or Lee.  Arujau is the world no.1 at 61 and he'd probably do similarly well at 57, although the competition is tougher.  I have seen many American fans say that Lee (like Steveson) has the potential to go all the way and become the world no.1.  

Regardless of who you send at 65, you would be pretty lucky to come out with a bronze imo.  Yianni could get a bronze but I wouldn't favor anyone else to take it.

• Fire 1

I am really interested to find out who you will send: Arijau or Lee.  Arujau is the world no.1 at 61 and he'd probably do similarly well at 57, although the competition is tougher.  I have seen many American fans say that Lee (like Steveson) has the potential to go all the way and become the world no.1.  

Regardless of who you send at 65, you would be pretty lucky to come out with a bronze imo.  Yianni could get a bronze but I wouldn't favor anyone else to take it.
It's a mystery who we will send. Prime Lee is hard to pick against, as is prime Vito. I think most Americans (as you predicted) favor those 2. But between Lee's time off, and Vito's weight cut, who knows? Suriano, Fix, Gilman, etc.... Our format for determining the possible reps gives everyone a shot and there's a realistic chance neither Lee nor Vito make it to the best of 3 final. I'm hopeful our rep is quality and performs at his best at the qualifier and Olympics, but I can't confidently back anyone as "most likely to win the trials"

I feel very comfortable seeing the list that Vito or lee would qualify pretty comfortably at 57kg. I think we need to hope Dudaev qualifies here we absolutely do not want him at last chance he looked unreal at euros and beat Rashidov. Alirez teched Haji last year, and while hes still definitely dangerous I feel pretty confident Alirez or yianni would beat him. If lee wins the spot i'm still a bit apprehensive given his relative lack of international results. If zain navigates through the trials i feel good about him as well obviously I just don't think he can perform after the weight cut.

I feel very comfortable seeing the list that Vito or lee would qualify pretty comfortably at 57kg. I think we need to hope Dudaev qualifies here we absolutely do not want him at last chance he looked unreal at euros and beat Rashidov. Alirez teched Haji last year, and while hes still definitely dangerous I feel pretty confident Alirez or yianni would beat him. If lee wins the spot i'm still a bit apprehensive given his relative lack of international results. If zain navigates through the trials i feel good about him as well obviously I just don't think he can perform after the weight cut.
The Asian qualifier will add some hurdles at both weights as well. Be excited
  • Fire 1

• 2 weeks later...