• Playwire Ad Area

Who needs to compete at the last chance qualifier?

35 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

That's how he has always naturally looked. No on seems to grasp just *how much* Uncle John makes his guys cut. I mean look at Cormier - no seriously, how much he cut for the Olympics was indicative. And Dieringer instantly going up to 79 post OkSt. And Pendleton. And Hendricks even moved up from 165 in college to 185 for UFC which is closer to 205 day of.

OkSt redlines their weight management and it alters their lifestyles permanently when they get away.

170 were his best results.  (But was cutting down from 215+)

Meanwhile John Smith barely cut weight and looks like he could make 136.5 tomorrow.

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

Johnny seems like a bad example because of how much special sauce he was "allegedly" taking pre usada. I think the move up came after and he actually looked physically smaller at 185. DC wrestled 197 when he was in community college so he did cut to 184 but he's never had a build that was extremely devoid of body fat.

• Bob 1

2 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

170 were his best results.  (But was cutting down from 215+)

Meanwhile John Smith barely cut weight and looks like he could make 136.5 tomorrow.

I believe smith controlled his weight year round, if the aforementioned were doing that I think he wouldn't treat them the same as someone like hendricks, who reportedly got up to 200 pounds in the off season in college as well.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

6 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

I believe smith controlled his weight year round, if the aforementioned were doing that I think he wouldn't treat them the same as someone like hendricks, who reportedly got up to 200 pounds in the off season in college as well.

Ringer also walked around over 200 at OkSt and actually weighs less now than after his junior year of college

• Bob 1

i am an idiot on the internet

31 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Ringer also walked around over 200 at OkSt and actually weighs less now than after his junior year of college

i find that difficult to believe, I saw fat Johnny hendricks during that time, I've never even imagined fat dieringer.

9 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

i find that difficult to believe, I saw fat Johnny hendricks during that time, I've never even imagined fat dieringer.

Who said he was fat?

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Who said he was fat?

I don't know how you go from a lean 200 pounds to 165, and in this circumstance I don't believe smith just likes weight cutting too much.

On 3/26/2024 at 10:13 AM, bnwtwg said:

That's how he has always naturally looked. No on seems to grasp just *how much* Uncle John makes his guys cut. I mean look at Cormier - no seriously, how much he cut for the Olympics was indicative. And Dieringer instantly going up to 79 post OkSt. And Pendleton. And Hendricks even moved up from 165 in college to 185 for UFC which is closer to 205 day of.

OkSt redlines their weight management and it alters their lifestyles permanently when they get away.

Johny was a 160 as a senior at the Dapper Dan.  He wrestled 157 as a RS Frosh due to Tyrone being the guy at 165.  Doesn't seem that he had that much of a cut for the Cowboys.  Didn't he have most of his success at 170 for UFC?

7 hours ago, juniorvarsity said:

Christian Carrol at 97kg is a bit concerning for Cowboy fans. That's awfully light for someone you want at heavyweight. Maybe Merrill is bigger than Carol, who knows 

What is concerning about someone cutting significant weight for OkSt? It has delivered Smith championships at the NCAA and senior level for decades (read above)

On 3/24/2024 at 1:21 PM, CHROMEBIRD said:

Just to rattle off some nice to see names: Ayala  Ramos, Crookham, Woods, Lovett, Ashnault, Deakin, Cenzo, IMar, Welsh, Beard, Moore, Davison

Based on his most recent IG photo, I don't expect Ramos to show up at the US trials. I see him competing at Asian Championships that are coming up, instead. 

Ramos Phillipines.jpg

• Bob 3

On 3/25/2024 at 3:07 PM, KCMO2 said:

What's going on with J'Den?  

On 3/25/2024 at 3:16 PM, CHROMEBIRD said:

he's still training at Michigan/CK. 

tumblr_ol5b5tyn1d1risj2so1_540.gifv

• Haha 1

On 3/29/2024 at 3:57 AM, juniorvarsity said:

Christian Carrol at 97kg is a bit concerning for Cowboy fans. That's awfully light for someone you want at heavyweight. Maybe Merrill is bigger than Carol, who knows 

Been a lot of discussion that Carroll going 197 and Merrill hwt.  

• Bob 1

On 3/29/2024 at 1:32 PM, bnwtwg said:

What is concerning about someone cutting significant weight for OkSt? It has delivered Smith championships at the NCAA and senior level for decades (read above)

Concerning that your heavyweight is going 97kg. If he is not going heavyweight, then it is not concerning. Being small at heavyweight can be a liability.

11 hours ago, juniorvarsity said:

Concerning that your heavyweight is going 97kg. If he is not going heavyweight, then it is not concerning. Being small at heavyweight can be a liability.

It seemed to work out alright for Davison this season. I'm sure he is an anomaly though, those rascally light athletic heavyweights never seem to produce results.

Our current #1 97 KG won three straight titles ay 285lbs... even beating the guy that manned the 125 KG (275.5lb) weight class for us for ~5 years when he (Snyder) was a Soph and the aforementioned Gwiazdowski was a Senior and two time defending champion.

Being a large 97 KG is not a death knell.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Yeah, Snyder is an anomaly. I'm happy to admit I am wrong. Did Bastida and Davison weigh less than 230? And what did Caesar weigh? Aside from Snyder, we don't usually see college heavyweights go down to 97kg. Again, happy to admit I am wrong here, but I can't think of anyone. Even if you are small heavyweight, you commit to staying big and don't go down to 97kg. I hope Carroll looks great next week. I am a fan, I just thought he would be an immediate threat at heavyweight next year with a lot of guys graduating.

• Bob 1

15 hours ago, juniorvarsity said:

Yeah, Snyder is an anomaly. I'm happy to admit I am wrong. Did Bastida and Davison weigh less than 230? And what did Caesar weigh? Aside from Snyder, we don't usually see college heavyweights go down to 97kg. Again, happy to admit I am wrong here, but I can't think of anyone. Even if you are small heavyweight, you commit to staying big and don't go down to 97kg. I hope Carroll looks great next week. I am a fan, I just thought he would be an immediate threat at heavyweight next year with a lot of guys graduating.

Snyder weighed in at 232 his senior season against Coon and 227 against Gwiazdowski.  I was unable to find the numbers from his Junior season.

This was at B1Gs this year (Davison and Feldman at 236 and 232, respectively) as well as what some of the 'hybrid' gents weighed in at Collegiate Duals this year.

image.png.e9a4c025098482fd6da98146f8546654.pngimage.png.0c6b3b1ca7ce2cf2291177c18a973752.png

• Bob 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

55 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Do we know if they are seeding LCQ?

I think they're only seeding those who registered before the early deadline. Not 100% sure.  Guys who show up and register the day before will just be slotted into the brackets? Idk

• Bob 1

20 hours ago, juniorvarsity said:

Most guys wrestling 97kg tend to be in that 220-235 walking weight range.

Lowney, Snyder, Kasper, Cassar, Davison, Bastida, Feldman, Keuter, etc off the tippy top of my memory

• Bob 1