• Playwire Ad Area

Brands crying in interview?

I thought that was pretty typical, didn't seem like he was near crying.  Best part was his awesome understatement that,  "A lot of times you don't open that curtain for everybody to see."  As opposed to the times that you do?  

35 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Foolproof logic, they should have just forfeited those weights after Ramos graduated. 

Logic has nothing to do with it, just retelling the story of Iowa lightweights over the past decade.  

I don't really have a dog in the fight, but it's naive to look at that continual track record of guys getting pushed out of the program if they even sniff of having a down cycle.  

When it was just Ramos, "waaaah...tony's a baby..."  This many guys deep now with the same story?  We call that establishing a track record of being disloyal to your athletes.  

If you want to know what kind of a coach a person is, ask the longest tenured guys, the seniors and the legacy otc guys what they think about them, don't ask the freshman.  

• Fire 1

"Iowa has always been “no excuses get better”, but the gambling probe was nothing but excuses. Brands never really took responsibility. It was just the blame game."

-----------------

Contrast this with how J Rob handled the drug peddling trouble at Minnesota. I don't like what he did at all but admire him for proecting his wrestlers. Just hope they learned and straightened up after costing him his career.

• Bob 1

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

21 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

Logic has nothing to do with it, just retelling the story of Iowa lightweights over the past decade.  

I don't really have a dog in the fight, but it's naive to look at that continual track record of guys getting pushed out of the program if they even sniff of having a down cycle.  

When it was just Ramos, "waaaah...tony's a baby..."  This many guys deep now with the same story?  We call that establishing a track record of being disloyal to your athletes.  

If you want to know what kind of a coach a person is, ask the longest tenured guys, the seniors and the legacy otc guys what they think about them, don't ask the freshman.  

Neither Gilman nor Ramos were pushed out. They chose to leave.   You're not retelling anything, you're seeing what you want to see. 

Edited by VakAttack

7 minutes ago, headshuck said:

Didn’t someone get pushed aside when Dennis was brought back from the wilderness?

What ever happened to McDonough?

Nobody was pushed to the side, Ramos got in his feelings about it. 

2 hours ago, headshuck said:

Didn’t someone get pushed aside when Dennis was brought back from the wilderness?

What ever happened to McDonough?

I think there was a corner issue with Ramos - Dennis at OTT (ironically seemingly similar to Taylor - Nickal at the next OTT). I remember Ramos giving a pissed interview about it. 

McD I think was just too injured to be a factor internationally but no real insight there. 

Re: the thread topic, I think Brands is hyper competitive (duh) but is a lot more empathetic than most people realize so he probably feels the same as if lost out there himself. 

11 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

I think you mean consistently the second best funded coach in the country.

And I like the idea of a strong Iowa team.  It's great for the sport.  But consistently is a strong word here.

So when talking about PSU accomplishments do you also say Cael is consistently the best funded coach in the country? Need to hold him to the same standard. 

11 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Consider the source

Agee - this a ISU alum trying to create controversy. Can’t believe so many people falling for it. DT is not leaving his daddy Cael. 

8 hours ago, BIGTENFANBOY said:

Hall and Pearsall at UPenn, Ruth and Illinois. Mollinaro at Rutgers/ASU.

None of these are head coaches like Gable’s tree. Gable had at least 10 head coaches (probably missing some also):

JRob - MN, Davis - Wisc, Brands- Iowa, Zalesky - Iowa / Oregon St, Ersland - Purdue, Ryan - OSU, Randall - Boise St, Heffernan - Illinois, Mark Johnson - Illinois, Goldman - Indiana

May be the only record Cael doesn’t beat. 

42 minutes ago, Hwt1 said:

So when talking about PSU accomplishments do you also say Cael is consistently the best funded coach in the country? Need to hold him to the same standard. 

I do, yes, 100%. 

I make no bones about it, at this point Cael has access to the best facilities, the best resources, and the most supportive athletic department of any wrestling team in the nation.  He also has the best support coaching staff, and the best RTC program in the country.

This all stems from the fact that he is the best raw coach in the country, and the bigger pieces fell hand in place as a result of watershed years, but the virtuous circle of money, success, knowledge and institutional support is self-perpetuating at this point. 

I do believe, however, that, like Iowa, and like Westside Barbell, PSU will only be this good for as long as Cael is fully engaged.  He likely has two cycles of guys left in him.

As impressive as his wrestling was, his coaching record I believe at this point far exceeds has on the mat accomplishments.  Regardless of who we all root for, we should watch and enjoy it.  Like J-Rob’s couple year run, the insane powerhouse that Okie State had from 2004-2006, and obviously decades of Gable dominance, we should appreciate the spectacle of these lineups, because one day they will end, and we will miss them just for their sheer presence.

1 hour ago, Hwt1 said:

And why do you think hes the best funded? Its a symptom of his success, not the cause. Really if it was all about funding, with Iowa's deep and rich history why cant decades of Iowa alumn generate the same level of if not a greater level of funding? I mean wrestling at PSU only started in the summer of 2009 right?

6 hours ago, creek chub said:

It wouldn’t be shocking if Dresser’s name gets added to the mix of possible replacements. What he’s done at both VT and ISU is remarkable. Plus he’s got hawkeye roots and generally dislike brands and would probably love to stick it to him

Are you serious? Brands is a far superior coach than Dresser. Dresser is 61, he is probably about ready to hang it up. In addition, he is in his 7th year at ISU and this is the first time he has finished in the top 10. He still hasn’t beat Iowa in a dual. Brands is 55. In the last 17 years he has finished in the top 5 every year, including 4 national titles (5 if no Covid). 

This may be one of Brands best years as a coach. 2024 was going to be a rebuilding year after Spencer Lee, Warner, Murin graduated. Then you throw in losing 4 other returning starters (including a returning 24 NCAA points from Cassioppi and Brands) and he still finishes top 5. That is not an excuse and he never said it was, but how many other coaches could lose 70% of their starters and finish top 5? Dresser still couldn’t beat him in a dual and finished only 1.5 points ahead at NCAA. And it took 2 points from a lucky medical forfeit in the 5/6th place match at 141 to even do that (their second to last match in tournament). 

I know you all hate Brands, but show him some respect. Dresser couldn’t hold his jock as a wrestler or a coach.

1 minute ago, Hwt1 said:

Are you serious? Brands is a far superior coach than Dresser. Dresser is 61, he is probably about ready to hang it up. In addition, he is in his 7th year at ISU and this is the first time he has finished in the top 10. He still hasn’t beat Iowa in a dual. Brands is 55. In the last 17 years he has finished in the top 5 every year, including 4 national titles (5 if no Covid). 

This may be one of Brands best years as a coach. 2024 was going to be a rebuilding year after Spencer Lee, Warner, Murin graduated. Then you throw in losing 4 other returning starters (including a returning 24 NCAA points from Cassioppi and Brands) and he still finishes top 5. That is not an excuse and he never said it was, but how many other coaches could lose 70% of their starters and finish top 5? Dresser still couldn’t beat him in a dual and finished only 1.5 points ahead at NCAA. And it took 2 points from a lucky medical forfeit in the 5/6th place match at 141 to even do that (their second to last match in tournament). 

I know you all hate Brands, but show him some respect. Dresser couldn’t hold his jock as a wrestler or a coach.

Cael.  Cornell if it's the 70% who didn't AA. 

17 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

I do, yes, 100%. 

I make no bones about it, at this point Cael has access to the best facilities, the best resources, and the most supportive athletic department of any wrestling team in the nation.  He also has the best support coaching staff, and the best RTC program in the country.

This all stems from the fact that he is the best raw coach in the country, and the bigger pieces fell hand in place as a result of watershed years, but the virtuous circle of money, success, knowledge and institutional support is self-perpetuating at this point. 

I do believe, however, that, like Iowa, and like Westside Barbell, PSU will only be this good for as long as Cael is fully engaged.  He likely has two cycles of guys left in him.

As impressive as his wrestling was, his coaching record I believe at this point far exceeds has on the mat accomplishments.  Regardless of who we all root for, we should watch and enjoy it.  Like J-Rob’s couple year run, the insane powerhouse that Okie State had from 2004-2006, and obviously decades of Gable dominance, we should appreciate the spectacle of these lineups, because one day they will end, and we will miss them just for their sheer presence.

Agree 100%, well stated.

3 minutes ago, Hwt1 said:

He did finish ahead of Iowa several years ago while at VATech.

12 minutes ago, BIGTENFANBOY said:

And why do you think hes the best funded? Its a symptom of his success, not the cause. Really if it was all about funding, with Iowa's deep and rich history why cant decades of Iowa alumn generate the same level of if not a greater level of funding? I mean wrestling at PSU only started in the summer of 2009 right?

Agree, success creates more success. I wasn’t complaining about his funding or saying it was entirely why Cael is successful. He is the best coach. I was replying to a post where it was implied Brands was only successful because of being second highest funded. Regarding Iowa versus PSU funding - Pennsylvania has 13 million people compared to 3 million in Iowa. In addition, it is really about the highest donors, and it is my understanding PSU top contributor has way more funds than Iowa top contributor. 

10 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

I do, yes, 100%. 

Appreciate your general intention, but:

• Cael is not even close to being the best raw coach in the country. Cunningham is in the the mix.
  • Cael could leave tomorrow and the impact on PSU would be primarily recruiting, and marketing a close 2nd.
  • NIL has rendered much of this discussion pointless. Money talks - and PSU capitalizes on it. That is sad.
  • No, we'll never miss one particular dominant team over another. We'll just enjoy the competition, as always.

13 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Brands is consistently the second best coach in the country. 

Is he? Or is he relying on Iowa's reputation to pull in elite recruits for him? Recruits that PSU opted out on, btw. 

13 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

Cael.  Cornell if it's the 70% who didn't AA. 

5 of the 7 were AA. So one coach, probably a couple more like Michigan. Proves the point, great job by Brands. 

1 minute ago, Hwt1 said:

Agree, success creates more success. I wasn’t complaining about his funding or saying it was entirely why Cael is successful. He is the best coach. I was replying to a post where it was implied Brands was only successful because of being second highest funded. Regarding Iowa versus PSU funding - Pennsylvania has 13 million people compared to 3 million in Iowa. In addition, it is really about the highest donors, and it is my understanding PSU top contributor has way more funds than Iowa top contributor. 

Yes but the entire state of PA is not funding the PSU program. The general public doesnt know or care about wrestling, even in PA. Spencer Lee has gone on recordsaying , being a wrestler in Iowa makes you a semi celebrity. Furthermore again, Iowa has a longer deeper traditon of success when it comes to collegiate wrestling. One would think that with decades of wrestling success, they would have no problems with getting an overabundance of funding. Arent there any people who graduate from Iowa that go on to become filthy rich?