• Playwire Ad Area

Brands crying in interview?

7 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

Yeah exactly, i've tried to get that across twice but I keep getting people flexing their knowledge of his instagram

Don't be a victim..... All I said was he has lots of other stuff going on and nobody knows if he wants to do that. Hardly flexing. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Just now, Scouts Honor said:

how long did it take Gables coaching tree to cover the Big 10?

when will we see a similar Cael tree?

Has there been a coach... other than ruth?

Hall and Pearsall at UPenn, Ruth and Illinois. Mollinaro at Rutgers/ASU.

1 minute ago, Idaho said:

Don't be a victim..... All I said was he has lots of other stuff going on and nobody knows if he wants to do that. Hardly flexing. 

i don't mean to give offense I just felt like i was getting the same irrelevant response over and over...

• Potato 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

12 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

i don't mean to give offense I just felt like i was getting the same irrelevant response over and over...

It’s not really an irrelevant response to point out those factors. Theirs no evidence that Taylor would be interested in leaving PA to go be the HC at Iowa. Especially not anytime soon. In fact the evidence shows the opposite based on actions which show setting down roots. 

Sure, Cael going to PSU was a surprise, but at least there was evidence he wanted a coaching challenge. Take for example he was actually a college coach. It’s not really a leap to say DT replacing the Brands is unlikely. 

• Bob 1

5 minutes ago, Packard said:

It’s not really an irrelevant response to point out those factors. Theirs no evidence that Taylor would be interested in leaving PA to go be the HC at Iowa. Especially not anytime soon. In fact the evidence shows the opposite based on actions which show setting down roots. 

Sure, Cael going to PSU was a surprise, but at least there was evidence he wanted a coaching challenge. Take for example he was actually a college coach. It’s not really a leap to say DT replacing the Brands is unlikely. 

I agree. His wife has a business there, DT has a thriving club, owns a farm and various businesses and is raising a family. Cael moving to PSU feels different. Did he and his wife have other obligations tying him to the area that he had to give up to take the PSU job?

That being said, if DT were to take over at IOWA, I would probably become an Iowa fan overnight at he is my all time favorite wrestler, similar to how I like PSU. Im a Cael fan and if he ever left PSU, I would follow him wherever he went.

Edited by BIGTENFANBOY

4 hours ago, lisa morales said:

The Ferraris love Iowa City.  Great pizza and the women are smoking hot.  

That doesn't sound right. That's like getting a good Italian dinner in New Mexico: 100% impossible 😄

17 minutes ago, Packard said:

From my perspective, it felt like I said, "He may do this on behalf of his legacy, ego and personal ambition," and got a bunch of people responding, "Yeah but he has a cow." I see what you're saying obviously all valid points.

1 minute ago, Hammerlock3 said:

From my perspective, it felt like I said, "He may do this on behalf of his legacy, ego and personal ambition," and got a bunch of people responding, "Yeah but he has a cow." I see what you're saying obviously all valid points.

Haha good point. 

• Bob 1

20 minutes ago, Curt Foley said:

Care to expound?  I know you're a Haweye faithful.

It feels like Brands' reasons emotions are fairly obvious.  A kid he cares about just had his dream crushed (for now).  The end.  

12 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

It feels like Brands' reasons emotions are fairly obvious.  A kid he cares about just had his dream crushed (for now).  The end.  

I think he has to have a bit of essential angst concerning his job. The gambling thing must have been beyond frustrating, but Iowa never really got any momentum going this year even beyond that. Ayala in finals, Caliendo is pretty great, but hard to know what else he's supposed to feel good about.

Whether or not his job is getting shopped around doesn't change that he is almost certainly doing some soul searching. 

25 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

I think he has to have a bit of essential angst concerning his job. The gambling thing must have been beyond frustrating, but Iowa never really got any momentum going this year even beyond that. Ayala in finals, Caliendo is pretty great, but hard to know what else he's supposed to feel good about.

Whether or not his job is getting shopped around doesn't change that he is almost certainly doing some soul searching. 

In many cases the gambling case and Ferrari would be job killers. 

Iowa has always been “no excuses get better”, but the gambling probe was nothing but excuses. Brands never really took responsibility. It was just the blame game.

Compound that with having a new AD who served this past fall as the interim. While she was trying to get the job as AD she had to deal with a legal investigation and then had to tell Brands he couldn’t bring in a wrestler because of bad PR. That can’t leave a good taste in her mouth. Have to wonder how her experience with the Ferentz OC situation influenced her as well. 

A lot to unpack. Hard to imagine their aren’t some changes coming down the Hawkeye way. 

4 minutes ago, Packard said:

In many cases the gambling case and Ferrari would be job killers. 

Iowa has always been “no excuses get better”, but the gambling probe was nothing but excuses. Brands never really took responsibility. It was just the blame game.

Compound that with having a new AD who served this past fall as the interim. While she was trying to get the job as AD she had to deal with a legal investigation and then had to tell Brands he couldn’t bring in a wrestler because of bad PR. That can’t leave a good taste in her mouth. Have to wonder how her experience with the Ferentz OC situation influenced her as well. 

A lot to unpack. Hard to imagine their aren’t some changes coming down the Hawkeye way. 

I'm sympathetic to the gambling thing. A stupid rule being arbitrarily enforced is the height of bureaucratic laziness and apathy.

But yeah I forgot the ferrari thing. You make a deal where you're trading directly on your reputation and then it blows up in your face and you get nothing except all the damage...not fun.

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

You're a good man Vak and so is Brands.  It's easy to forget the strength of bonds between a coach and athlete when typing on the internet.  Not so easy in real life.  Good on you for acknowledging it as a reality.

13 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

I'm sympathetic to the gambling thing. A stupid rule being arbitrarily enforced is the height of bureaucratic laziness and apathy.

But yeah I forgot the ferrari thing. You make a deal where you're trading directly on your reputation and then it blows up in your face and you get nothing except all the damage...not fun.

Except the first thing they teach you when you show up to college and go to your first compliance meeting is that you can't gamble on ANY college athletics. And it's not a stupid rule because of how many athletes have shaved points. Part of Brands' job is keeping your athletes compliant with NCAA rules and eligible. 

But yeah, the Ferrari situation was 10X work and directly his fault. 

• Bob 1

3 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

Except the first thing they teach you when you show up to college and go to your first compliance meeting is that you can't gamble on ANY college athletics. And it's not a stupid rule because of how many athletes have shaved points. Part of Brands' job is keeping your athletes compliant with NCAA rules and eligible.

I get your point that they weren't ignorant, and I still think its a dumb rule but once I thought about how difficult it would be to investigate (you place a bet for your girlfriend whose shaving point in a basketball game or something) I can see why its in place.

7 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

I get your point that they weren't ignorant, and I still think its a dumb rule but once I thought about how difficult it would be to investigate (you place a bet for your girlfriend whose shaving point in a basketball game or something) I can see why its in place.

99% of the time it shouldn't matter that you have a wrestler placing a bet when books aren't even taking action on wrestling matches....Except for that 1% if somebody gets into a lot of trouble and then can be used to get to somebody on the men's/women's basketball team or baseball team.  So as you say, it's a lot easier to just put a blanket ban on betting on college sports. Just like baseball puts a blanket ban on betting on baseball (and not just the game the athlete is playing in). 

And even though what these guys did is fairly harmless (relative to what Ferrari did), this is pretty much the most emphasized rule that there is in college sports and some of the bets were actually on Iowa athletics, which is very egregious. 

Edited by billyhoyle

It wouldn’t be shocking if Dresser’s name gets added to the mix of possible replacements. What he’s done at both VT and ISU is remarkable. Plus he’s got hawkeye roots and generally dislike brands and would probably love to stick it to him

• Haha 1
  • Clown 1

2 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Are we talking about Ayala here?  The Brands have a swimming pool full of crocodile tears when it comes to their 125/133 pound guys.  I'm just going to leave a list of names here, and we'll see what sorts of stories come to mind.  Specifically self-serving manipulation, playing each other against 

Tony Ramos, Dan Dennis, Thomas Gilman, Spencer Lee, Drake Ayala.  

Tony Ramos was the guy, they brought in Dennis.  Dennis stopped wrestling so it didn't become a problem with Gilman, but ~2016 Flo was doing pre-Olympic coverage, Dennis doesn't have that level of ego, but "Did you guys see Gilman kick my ass? That was ridiculous."

Gilman left (ostensibly) because the Brands brought spencer lee in.

The main initial sign of a rift between the brands and Spencer Lee was them making him wrestle Ayala early last season, which was a whole situation which just burnt everyone's relationships with one another.  

The brands care about themselves first and foremost.  If it weren't that way, this near decade-long carousel of recruiting over the top of their current guys wouldn't be a thing.  

They are obviously by no means the only coaches to do it, but please excuse me if I turn my nose up at the concept of them actually caring about their guys in a way that exceeds their interest in their own ego. 

Brands isn’t going anywhere. 

DT going there is a pipe dream. He isn’t leaving State College. 

As much as I dislike Iowa, let’s not pretend this year didn’t get derailed by the gambling situation. 

What they need to do is listen to Askren and bring in someone who can help them in scramble situations because they just look lost there. 

• Brain 1

Well, although Cael and Penn St. have become a juggernaut that doesn’t seem to have any end in sight. But on the other hand I don’t see anyone else doing much better. And if Gable and the Iowa AD decided to part ways with the Brands Bros., who will they get to replace them.
I would say that it was nice to see Little Rock, get 2 AA’s as well as Army & Navy getting a guy on the podium. 

17 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

Are we talking about Ayala here?  The Brands have a swimming pool full of crocodile tears when it comes to their 125/133 pound guys.  I'm just going to leave a list of names here, and we'll see what sorts of stories come to mind.  Specifically self-serving manipulation, playing each other against 

Tony Ramos, Dan Dennis, Thomas Gilman, Spencer Lee, Drake Ayala.  

Tony Ramos was the guy, they brought in Dennis.  Dennis stopped wrestling so it didn't become a problem with Gilman, but ~2016 Flo was doing pre-Olympic coverage, Dennis doesn't have that level of ego, but "Did you guys see Gilman kick my ass? That was ridiculous."

Gilman left (ostensibly) because the Brands brought spencer lee in.

The main initial sign of a rift between the brands and Spencer Lee was them making him wrestle Ayala early last season, which was a whole situation which just burnt everyone's relationships with one another.  

The brands care about themselves first and foremost.  If it weren't that way, this near decade-long carousel of recruiting over the top of their current guys wouldn't be a thing.  

They are obviously by no means the only coaches to do it, but please excuse me if I turn my nose up at the concept of them actually caring about their guys in a way that exceeds their interest in their own ego. 

Foolproof logic, they should have just forfeited those weights after Ramos graduated.