• Playwire Ad Area

Did Mesenbrink really not know he was losing in the finals?

2 minutes ago, NormMacDonald said:

Ohhhh. Interesting. The opposing coaches have to sit in a sound proof penalty box type thing next to each other during the match. 

Yeah ... and silence on the set. The circus at 133 has pushed me over the edge.

• Fire 1

24 minutes ago, Major Kong said:

I think if he had kept the pace up with Carr not engaging for the last 50 seconds in full, there was a small chance they call the stall. The last thing Carr wanted was a scramble, so it may have been obvious enough.

Not bashing.  I’m confused.  The guy who never ever stops attacking because his gas tank is the biggest tank in the land.  This is the kid that didn’t attack for 50 seconds because he was waiting for overtime?    Not buying 100% of what you’re selling.  Maybe the last 5-10 seconds but not the last 50.     In the ncaa finals no doubt.   I’ll shave 14% of the time off of the match 

Edited by Caveira

8 minutes ago, Caveira said:

Not bashing.  I’m confused.  The guy who never ever stops attacking because his gas tank is the biggest tank in the land.  This is the kid that didn’t attack for 50 seconds because he was waiting for overtime?    Not buying 100% of what you’re selling.  Maybe the last 5-10 seconds but not the last 50.     In the ncaa finals no doubt.   I’ll shave 14% of the time off of the match 

I was answering a question. I agree, he stopped attacking in the last 20 secs. That's why I said "in full". If he hadn't, I think there is a (very) small chance a stall was called.

Edited by Major Kong

4 hours ago, fishbane said:

I had a little different theory.  I instead of a late score update causing Mesenbrink thought it was tied taking into account riding time, I thought Messenbrink saw a tied score and forgot the riding time point. Mesenbrink has not had a close match all year and has not had a riding time point scored on him in college. He's never been in a match when riding time mattered.  He saw the score was tied and simply forgot that the point was pending.  That's my theory.

It definitely could be that, hard to say, but Carr had like 2 minutes of riding time, it’s not like it was a close shave. Whatever the case it’s the same outcome, he had a mental lapse that potentially cost him a title. Angel was ready to give him that match. 

3 hours ago, jackwebster said:

Mesenbrink's dad seems like a pretty involved parent. Does he give Cael a talking to?

After the Suriano ordeal, my guess is Carl conducts psych testing on parents prior to making scholarship offers.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, fishbane said:

You're right about the time since he cut Carr, but to be fair he was trying to score up until maybe 15 seconds.  I don't think the announcers or anyone else thought he might not know the score until 15s.  On the other hand if he had been fully aware he may have been attacking like Vito for 50s.

Correct... He seemed to shut it down at about 15 which indicated that he was satisfied going to OT. 

2 hours ago, Major Kong said:

I can. Can't remember a ref giving a stall call (no matter how obviously deserved) with less than 20 seconds left to affect the outcome of a big match. Let alone a NCAA Final. Football refs will call a penalty in the analogous situation, baseball umps will call a strike or ball, but our refs are way too timid. Smart wrestlers know this.

Exactly...and since he already gave Carr a bogus call on a takedown I doubt he is getting another one on top of that the last 15.  Can you imagine the hate on top of hate if  PSU gets that 2 point stall call....wow.  At the end of the day, I think most sane and objective fans saw a better match wrestled by Carr as a whole and the right guy won. 

• Fire 2

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

16 hours ago, Idaho said:

Correct... He seemed to shut it down at about 15 which indicated that he was satisfied going to OT. 

Exactly...and since he already gave Carr a bogus call on a takedown I doubt he is getting another one on top of that the last 15.  Can you imagine the hate on top of hate if  PSU gets that 2 point stall call....wow.  At the end of the day, I think most sane and objective fans saw a better match wrestled by Carr as a whole and the right guy won. 

I was absolutely pulling for Carr, but when he went into total defensive mode, backing and using the edge, I was expecting him to get dinged for stalling.  Great kid/wrestler and happy he got to end his career this way.  Tough one for MM but he has plenty to look forward to.  Still hard to imagine 3 world champs in the same weight class.  In most years, all 3 would be nat champs.

19 hours ago, steamboat_charlie said:

It definitely could be that, hard to say, but Carr had like 2 minutes of riding time, it’s not like it was a close shave. 

Similar thing happened to MJ Gaitan against Patrick Kennedy in the Cy-Hawk dual.   The ISU coaches thought Gaitan was the one with riding time even though he was getting majored until there were like 2 minutes left in the match

Edited by 1032004