• Playwire Ad Area

Great tweet, Willie

Just now, Mike Parrish said:

You guys are just jealous of us 138/145s and our normal sized Thanksgiving dinners.

first thanksgiving I remember actually getting to enjoy was freshman year of high school.  I weight about 98 lbs (there is poster with this name haha) and for the first time since age 6, I didn't have to watch my weight for a thanksgiving weekend tournament.  that went away until college and then I dedicated myself to making up for lost time.  🙂

16 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

first thanksgiving I remember actually getting to enjoy was freshman year of high school.  I weight about 98 lbs (there is poster with this name haha) and for the first time since age 6, I didn't have to watch my weight for a thanksgiving weekend tournament.  that went away until college and then I dedicated myself to making up for lost time.  🙂

I too have conquered anorexia!

• Fire 2

My favorite 103 story to tell people is that 3 NCAA Champions and 2 Olympians wrestled 103 in NJ in 2002-2003, none of which even finished in the top 3.

Burroughs - lost first round of districts

Gomez - 1-2 at states

Caldwell - 4th

The bracket was won by current Cornell head coach Mike Grey, I believe his first of 4 state titles where he would be the first ever to accomplish that feat

http://jkopesky.entnet.com/2002-2003_NJSIAA_States.pdf

• Fire 1

It's amazing that everyone at one time was under 100lbs. Almost like humans tend to grow as they age.

On a side note I had a heavyweight that is a large fella. One time I asked him when he cracked 100lbs. He was like I have no clue, ended up finding out it was 2nd grade.  But there's no way he could be a good wrestler since he never wrestled 106.

• Haha 6

36 minutes ago, BobDole said:

It's amazing that everyone at one time was under 100lbs. Almost like humans tend to grow as they age.

On a side note I had a heavyweight that is a large fella. One time I asked him when he cracked 100lbs. He was like I have no clue, ended up finding out it was 2nd grade.  But there's no way he could be a good wrestler since he never wrestled 106.

This seems like a strawman.  No one is saying guys that didn’t wrestle 103/106 can’t be good.  Simply pointing out that many of the guys that become the best in the country/world often started out there.

And I’m sure 100 lbs is still well below the average weight even for freshmen.      Which I’m also sure is a main reason there are a lot of “smaller” kids that wrestle, since it’s one of the few sports where your size/weight doesn’t matter as much.  

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

My favorite 103 story to tell people is that 3 NCAA Champions and 2 Olympians wrestled 103 in NJ in 2002-2003, none of which even finished in the top 3.

Gomez - 1-2 at states

Caldwell - 4th

The bracket was won by current Cornell head coach Mike Grey, I believe his first of 4 state titles where he would be the first ever to accomplish that feat

I’ve posted this bracket before …Caldwell and Gomez wrestled in the Pre Quarters of states  …2 ncaa champs hitting first night was wild ….also that 3rd place match was caldwells last non all star meet lose in his career 

Gomez - 1-2 at states

Caldwell - 4th

Bracket also had Daryl Cocozza ( 4x ncaa qualifier for edinboro and Rutgers and he lost first round to 3x ncaa qualifier and multiple time ACC champ Conroy 

35 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I’ve posted this bracket before …Caldwell and Gomez wrestled in the Pre Quarters of states  …2 ncaa champs hitting first night was wild ….also that 3rd place match was caldwells last non all star meet lose in his career 

so like maybe r16, r32 but in different states?  🤔

So who are the 3 that didn’t?

Richards - I assume yes

Gross - I assume yes

Yianni - I assume yes - it wasn’t just as an 8th grader though right?

Pantaleo - ???

Nolf - ??? (Probably worth noting that Joseph did though if Nolf didn’t)

Burroughs - yes

Zahid - yes

Jackson - guessing no? (Saw him reply to Willie’s tweet saying he was 112 though)

Snyder - assuming no

Zillmer - yes

3 hours ago, BobDole said:

You mean nobody's ever given birth to a baby over 100 pounds? 🤷‍♂️

Nolf - ??? (Probably worth noting that Joseph did though if Nolf didn’t

Nolf won it all at 103 States' his freshman year in PIAA.  His only loss came to Ryan Diehl at 113 his sophomore year

Edited by PortaJohn
  • Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

I remember a buddy of mine from Illinois was a little guy for most of his career and then junior year of HS had a massive growth spurt and wound up somewhere around 171 if I am remembering correctly.  I saw him at a tournament the next year and asked how it felt to be up that high and he said, "man these guys are soo slow up here".   I think about that a lot with Zahid and Taylor.  Light weights for a huge chunk of their career and then big jumps up in weight...still having those lightweight techniques and movements but now hitting them on guys who maybe have been in the upperweights for their whole lives seems to be an advantage.  

"Look good, feel good, wrestle good." - J Jaggers

Alec Pantaleo went 112 (RQ), 135 (1st), 145 (DNC - Injury), 145 (2nd).

Funny enough - after winning Districts as a Frosh, with two Detroit Catholic guys finishing beneath him, he got pinned by one in the regional semi-finals and then lost to the other in the bloodround to not qualify for states.  He finished the season 53-3.

Any guess as to who he lost to in the bloodround?

Future UofM teammate Malik Amine via 3-2 Decision.

His Soph year guess who he beat in the states championship?

Future UofM teammate Malik Amine via 9-6 Decision.

Guess who won the following hear the next weight class up at 140lbs (Pantaleo had put most of his time at 145lbs to be fair)?

Future UofM teammate Malik Amine.

His senior year after having wrestled 152 most of the year he dropped to 145 and was one of the heavier favorites and got decked in the finals.  Guess who?

Future UofM teammate Malik Amine in 0:34.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me