• Playwire Ad Area

JB and DC to commentate NCAA's for ESPN

They're all fine. Christ. I'm too busy white knuckling it watching Bartlett not shoot until the last 15 seconds to even listen to whomever is going on about this sport most of the time.

Except the last Olympics. John Smith and Burroughs commentating that was a real pleasure. Smith with that slow drawl and whistling his "S" sounds hard while always seemingly in disgust about something is my favorite thing. He was getting pissed about the refs stopping the matches too much saying "I'd tell that ref to jussssst put that whisssstle back in hisss pocket". While JB was practically giggling half the time at Smith getting all amped up over something an American was or was not doing.

DC and Rogan talking about Adalaide Byrd is among the best things DC has done on the mic. He's always welcome in my book. Here:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

Not this.   If they are flipping the channel, they will (a) hear a guy rambling on about tweets, food, and every other thing besides wrestling or offering cliches about the sport and (b) they won't likely even see DC because the images will be of the mat or (soon-to-be) commercials.    The NCAAs are about wrestling not about appealing to MMA followers, and it is what true college wrestling fans look forward to more than any other time of year.  Get competent insightful analysis and commentary, not guys that care more about MMA or being celebrities.   

IMO, "true college wrestling fans" will be tuning in regardless of the commentary

• Bob 1

Just now, pokemonster said:

Idk, I think any true wrestling fan will be watching the MATCAST or the specific matches, not the ESPN broadcast that understandably misses a good deal of the action.

I understand your point, but I have to watch the specific matches on ESPN + on my laptop and ESPN broadcast on my TV. I like some (minimal) commentary if it is on target but terrible commentary is worse than no commentary and just the crowd noise or silence. 

8 minutes ago, Rassling said:

Then what is your solution Socratease?

Who would you like to see fill the roll, not for just the 3 days but to take that momentum to effect positive change afterwards? 

Honestly they should try out Micah Parsons , the man already spends more time talking into a mic then playing football, he has a big following , he’s a huge wrestling fan and practiced with the team a few times while at penn state. He knows the rules if he can keep his Penn state bias aside he would could be alright , better then DC immediately 

In my view, David Taylor offers the best technical insights about positions, technique, and strategy.  And he is able to keep to the action and also make relevant asides.    He's a true professional.   And, of course, I realize he is now in the final stages of trials preparation so he probably won't be there.  Borroughs will probably be fine in his commentary. 

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, SocraTease said:

In my view, David Taylor offers the best technical insights about positions, technique, and strategy.  And he is able to keep to the action and also make relevant asides.    He's a true professional.   And, of course, I realize he is now in the final stages of trials preparation so he probably won't be there.  Borroughs will probably be fine in his commentary. 

I’m always in favor of our wrestlers behind the mic like Mr Robles 

• Fire 1

Cormier sux. He makes shit up and flips flops all the time in ufc now here. JB is solid and professional.  Dc likes to argue and talk over everybody.Terrible.   JB is the expert at wrestling.he makes up what people's thoughts are as if he's in their mind then the opposite happens. Being fat and laughing at your own dumb jokes doesn't make you funny.

DC has actually pulled JB out of his shell a bit.  He has laughed and enjoyed himself more than I ever remember in his previous announcing.  He even just made fun of DC for making Starocci his "4th or 5th pound for pound number one".

Lol. I guess a guy can find positive even in a pile of junk5.         DC is a total distraction that just loves to hear his own voice. That Jon Jones shin gave him CTE that's still showing in his little kid commentary.