• Playwire Ad Area

Viewing options for NCAA tourney?

Iowa

I don't have cable. Would you kind readers please give suggestions for streaming? Free trials, in particular? I know that YouTubeTV is one option. Does Fubo work for accessing all the ESPN channels on which morning-round matches will be shown? How about Hulu? Thank you in advance!

2 minutes ago, Iowa said:

I don't have cable. Would you kind readers please give suggestions for streaming? Free trials, in particular? I know that YouTubeTV is one option. Does Fubo work for accessing all the ESPN channels on which morning-round matches will be shown? How about Hulu? Thank you in advance!

I believe they are streaming on ESPN+ ... If you have a Hulu or Disney+ subscription you can bundle all of them for the same price or cheaper - it adds ESPN+. 

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

15 minutes ago, Iowa said:

Ah that's right. There's the separate mat cams (ESPN+) and also there's the 'hop around' broadcast (ESPN and ESPNU).

https://www.ncaa.com/championships/wrestling/d1/broadcast-info

So, basically, either Fubo or Hulu will work for accessing the ESPN/ESPNU broadcast but ESPN+ (no free trial) is necessary for the separate mat cams?

Thank you in advance!

I'm not sure about the ESPN/U part...but yes, ESPN+ has the option to switch mats - I think they also have a screen with who is wrestling on each mat. I usually have track/flo open to see who is coming up so I dont' miss anything. YOu might consider adding ESPN+ if you already have Hulu or Disney. I think by itself it's 9.99 per month. I did it for the Big 10 for one month during the prime dual season then cancelled it. 

https://plus.espn.com/

• Brain 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

((Copy pasta from what I wrote last year))

How do I watch individual mats, the Octobox, and upcoming assignments?

Just like last year, you need an ESPN+ subscription. You may already have this if you have a Disney/Hulu bundle, or you may have it separately. 

I don't know if I have ESPN+  /  How do I get a subscription?

Click this link here

Is it easy to cancel?

Yes. Unlike some companies that support wrestling, ESPN+ is very easy to cancel after your three day nattys bonanza.

How much does it cost?

As cheap as $9.99 for a one-month subscription. You can also choose from the a la carte for an annual package or build custom bundles with Disney+ and Hulu

What can I watch ESPN+ on?

Smart TVs and smart sticks like Roku and Amazon Fire. You can also watch from your computer, phone, or tablet.

Can I watch on multiple devices?

Yes! Last year I had 4 big screens and a laptop. My setup would make Jagger jealous.

• Brain 1
  • Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

I believe that all except the finals were available on ESPN+ last year, with the finals only watchable on ESPN proper.

I might be wrong.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

6 minutes ago, BarSeries said:

Do the pigtail matches start at noon eastern then? The pigtails use all 8 mats at once? How soon after does the first round start?

Like ten minutes after the pigtails start, maybe sooner.

• Ban Basketball 1

Just now, BarSeries said:

Pigtail wrestlers have to wrestle again 10 minutes later?

They will typically skip over their matches until the time necessary passes.  There are 15 other matches at each weight that can be wrestled while waiting for that time.  They don't just wrestle 10 matches then weight 30 minutes once they're concluded.  Once it starts it doesn't stop until all the designated matches for that session are over.

• Bob 1

20 minutes ago, BarSeries said:

Do the pigtail matches start at noon eastern then? The pigtails use all 8 mats at once? How soon after does the first round start?

If you go to trackwrestling, they have a page with three deep mat assignments.  For instance, at the beginning every mat has a prelim match, and mats 1 and 2 have two prelim matches.  First round matches commence on each mat after all the preceding prelims on that mat are finished.

• Bob 3

13 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

They will typically skip over their matches until the time necessary passes.  There are 15 other matches at each weight that can be wrestled while waiting for that time.  They don't just wrestle 10 matches then weight 30 minutes once they're concluded.  Once it starts it doesn't stop until all the designated matches for that session are over.

I see. So, let's say there is a pin right away in first period......do they start the next match right away on that mat even if it's a new weight class? Or do they wait until all matches in the weight class have concluded? Newbie here ha.

5 minutes ago, BarSeries said:

I see. So, let's say there is a pin right away in first period......do they start the next match right away on that mat even if it's a new weight class? Or do they wait until all matches in the weight class have concluded? Newbie here ha.

Yes.

They will line up two matches on deck (typically), but have the next 20-30 wrestlers also 'in the hole' for warm-up purposes.

Not sure how KC is going to be set up, but until they eliminate 1/4 of the field after the first round of consis it tends to be rather crowded in the warm-up area.

This is on Trackwrestling, so you can also follow along there, insofar as who is on deck and whatnot.

It is also pretty easy to set up Track to send you text messages or notifications when a wrestler you want to watch/see is on deck as well as when there is a result to report for a specific wrestler (or team).  If you need/want any help in setting something like that up shoot me a DM and I can probably talk you through it pretty easily.

• Bob 1

I imagine the way it is going to be set up is that mats 1-8 have the preliminary 125-184.  Mat 1 will then have 197 prelim and Mat 2 will have 285 in the hole.  The 16/17 match on down (in the bracket top to bottom) will then start being 'on deck' for Mat 3 through Mat 8.  Then it will start in order for the 125 14/19 match on down eight more.  It will likely show that way pretty early tomorrow morning as soon as brackets are finalized.

• Bob 1

5 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I imagine the way it is going to be set up is that mats 1-8 have the preliminary 125-184.  Mat 1 will then have 197 prelim and Mat 2 will have 285 in the hole.  The 16/17 match on down (in the bracket top to bottom) will then start being 'on deck' for Mat 3 through Mat 8.  Then it will start in order for the 125 14/19 match on down eight more.  It will likely show that way pretty early tomorrow morning as soon as brackets are finalized.

That makes sense. Track has Unger/Peterson on Mat 3 so this aligns with what you are saying!

• Fire 1

15 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Nope.

Mat 1:  125, 197 prelims, then 125

Mat 2:  133, 285 prelims, then 125

All other prelims follow in weight class order on mats 3-8.  First three rounds of matches are all prelims and all 125 matches.

54 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

Nope.

Mat 1:  125, 197 prelims, then 125

Mat 2:  133, 285 prelims, then 125

All other prelims follow in weight class order on mats 3-8.  First three rounds of matches are all prelims and all 125 matches.

This is actually what I said, just in a long-winded, hard to read, poorly formatted paragraph.

• Haha 1

Hi all,

I intend to purchase ESPN+ to view the championships.  I'm not able to be viewing during the day as much as I would like and so I was hoping to either access the previosuly streamed content or download the live content.  So i have 2 questions:

1. Will the live content be available after hours on demand? Or

2. Will i be able to download the cotent? (I noticed that there was a statement on their site saying not all content is available for downloadable).

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

8 hours ago, nhs67 said:

This is actually what I said, just in a long-winded, hard to read, poorly formatted paragraph.

God I have missed you. Good to see you back in full form just in time. How we feeling about Ragusin, Gomez, and Davison? I'm buying high.

• Pirate 1

i am an idiot on the internet

26 minutes ago, Tre said:

Hi all,

I intend to purchase ESPN+ to view the championships.  I'm not able to be viewing during the day as much as I would like and so I was hoping to either access the previosuly streamed content or download the live content.  So i have 2 questions:

2. Will i be able to download the cotent? (I noticed that there was a statement on their site saying not all content is available for downloadable).

Thank you

Content will be available during and after each session, and retained for 30 days on the ESPN+ site.  You can't download the streams (this ain't Netflix!).

21 minutes ago, Tre said:

Hi all,

Thank you

Go to the Espn+ app, scroll down till you see the sports icon, go to the right till you find the wrestling singlet, select.  Then go down till you see live and upcoming, go down one or two more rows and you'll see on-demand.   All the wrestling should be available on demand ~30 minutes after conclusion of each session and remain there for a week or so.  The difficult part the first day watching it late is knowing which mat to select.  Prob for Thurs you just want the multiview.  On Fri you at least know which mats are qrt & semi but wrestle backs could be hard to follow.  

40 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

God I have missed you. Good to see you back in full form just in time. How we feeling about Ragusin, Gomez, and Davison? I'm buying high.

Me as well.

In my completely biased bracket I had Penn State at 172 and Michigan at 147.5.

Seemed legit, but I did an unbiased one ti be safe and had Penn State at 178 and seven teams within seven points of each other for 2nd.  Michigan was still obviously 2nd.

As far as Ragusin, that Tech was hard to watch, but he has still beaten him twice this year.  He will get him a third time.  I know from boots on the ground that he has been wanting another crack at Fix since he decked him last year.  I don't think he beats him.  He has a touch 5/12 matchup in Latona early, too.  I like him to get in the 3-6 range, matchups depending.  I have him losing to Fix and Arujau right now and beating everyone else - Latona, Shawver then Bouzakis in the consi-semis and Bailey for 3rd. Bonus: Fix over the hump and Arujau for the NC.

Gomez is set up nicely to make a deep run.  The Arrington quarter is where he wanted to be.  He doesn't match up well with Parco, so hopefully Kasak or Lamer can knock him off before the semi-finals.  He doesn't want to see Henson as that is probably the worst matchup for him.  I like him to win it if he deosn't face Parco in the semi-finals or Henson in the finals (that means I have him over Lovett in the finals).  That is also my prediction as I have him over Lamer in the semi-finals.

Davison can very much take 3rd in this bracket, but he needs some breaks.  The problem is he would need to beat Bastida potentially twice, and I don't see that happening.  So he needs to lose to him, hope Pindrickson reverses the Big 12s result in the semi-finals then catch him in the consis.  I don't think Davison can beat Kerk or Pindrickson.  Not in the cards.  I like him for 3-5th.  Predicting him over Catka, then losing to Bastida, beating Elam, beating Schultz, and losing to Pindrickson for 4th.

Edited by nhs67
  • Brain 1

59 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

Content will be available during and after each session, and retained for 30 days on the ESPN+ site.  You can't download the streams (this ain't Netflix!).

57 minutes ago, ionel said:

Go to the Espn+ app, scroll down till you see the sports icon, go to the right till you find the wrestling singlet, select.  Then go down till you see live and upcoming, go down one or two more rows and you'll see on-demand.   All the wrestling should be available on demand ~30 minutes after conclusion of each session and remain there for a week or so.  The difficult part the first day watching it late is knowing which mat to select.  Prob for Thurs you just want the multiview.  On Fri you at least know which mats are qrt & semi but wrestle backs could be hard to follow.  

Thank you both!