• Playwire Ad Area

DII stalling call

in the qtrs i think.. i was watching but dont remember when... old age.  think it was 125...

a guy was ahead and running. He had already given up a stalling point. Then they went to OT, maybe had given up the point in OT.. not sure... again, old age.. but I think it was in regulation.

Anyway, after some good action in OT, the other wrestler shoots and the guy sprawls... and they ding him again, to lose.

I hate stalling as much as the next guy... but...

Not sure this is what I want wrestling to be.

I hate those calls.  I maintain that instead of the ref awarding points, the match should be restarted with the non-offending wrestler getting choice of position, like after injury time.  Like in football or basketball, we can move you closer to the goal line or give you a free throw, but you have to do the actual scoring yourself. 

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1
  • Fire 2

12 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

I hate those calls.  I maintain that instead of the ref awarding points, the match should be restarted with the non-offending wrestler getting choice of position, like after injury time.  Like in football or basketball, we can move you closer to the goal line or give you a free throw, but you have to do the actual scoring yourself. 

This isn’t a bad idea. Instead of a second stalling being a point make it offensive wrestlers choice.

Good thought! 

• Wrestle 1

We don’t call stalling enough!  (Some people)

how dare they call stalling to end the match!    (Other people)

this is why we keep changing the rules to make things more and more complicated…… 

• Brain 1

1 hour ago, Caveira said:

this is why we keep changing the rules to make things more and more complicated…… 

I really think rules have been trending in the right direction for a long time tbh. 

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

8 hours ago, Offthemat said:

Or instead of giving them choice of position, you could put them on a 30 second shot clock 😀

• Jagger 1
  • Poopy 1

5 hours ago, Offthemat said:

Only that’s been shown to cut attendance by 90%. 

Did freestyle attendance really drop 90% after the implementation of that rule? I get what you’re saying… folkstyle attendance is much higher than freestyle attendance in America. But that has nothing to do with the current rules set. It’s all about culture and tradition. But that’s a whole different topic.

Point is I like your idea of not simply giving free points for stalling. I was simply showing that freestyle already utilizes that same concept. Personally, I’d rather go with the shot clock because mat wrestling can tend to get boring, but your idea is still better than the free point. 

15 hours ago, Caveira said:

As a ref, I will say that everyone wants more stalling called (and fleeing) ... until it is called on their guy.  The inconsistency is amazing!

• Haha 1
  • Stalling 1

1 hour ago, Eagle26 said:

Did freestyle attendance really drop 90% after the implementation of that rule? I get what you’re saying… folkstyle attendance is much higher than freestyle attendance in America. But that has nothing to do with the current rules set. It’s all about culture and tradition. But that’s a whole different topic.

Point is I like your idea of not simply giving free points for stalling. I was simply showing that freestyle already utilizes that same concept. Personally, I’d rather go with the shot clock because mat wrestling can tend to get boring, but your idea is still better than the free point. 

Mat Wrestling is Boring, eh? 😏

Of course, I take it you (and anyone else on the Intermat Forumverse) Saw the EIWA replay of Crookham/Arujau II, yes?

Then check out the sequence, starting around the 3:30 mark... especially right around the 3:50.

Then tell me that Mat Wrestling is Boring... 

(thankewverimuchandidoappreciatetheapplause! 😉 )

D3

• Bob 1

3 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

I should have used one of those smiley faces, but I did want to register my position against switching to freestyle. 

• Bob 1

3 hours ago, D3 for LU said:

Mat Wrestling is Boring, eh? 😏

Of course, I take it you (and anyone else on the Intermat Forumverse) Saw the EIWA replay of Crookham/Arujau II, yes?

Then check out the sequence, starting around the 3:30 mark... especially right around the 3:50.

Then tell me that Mat Wrestling is Boring... 

(thankewverimuchandidoappreciatetheapplause! 😉 )

D3

like button