• Playwire Ad Area

Bipartison support of Bill to ban TikTok. Not sure how I feel about this one.

Tucker tore in to Dan Crenshaw (Eye patch McCain)  on his alignment with the Biden administration on the Bill to ban the social media giant.  

I'm not sure how I feel about this one.  I'm not a fan of the platform due to the massive information collection and that China is getting entrenched in many sectors in the US. 

16 minutes ago, Threadkilla said:

I agree.  but I have a hard time siding with anything coming from the left without knowing the complete motivation for this Bill.

It does leave room for speculation but it’s China. Shut it down.  You can always bring it back. 

Edited by JimmyBT

I can’t think of anything we’ve been able to legislate out of existence but it hasn’t kept us from trying.  I have no doubt that it will eventually be abused, but it’s worthwhile to protect the kids.  If only they were getting the Chinese model where it’s social media for two hours during the evening and school studies the rest of the day. 

True.   How do you eliminate Tik Tok in the US?   You can make it illegal to provide the app from an app store.   But with VPN, anyone can go anywhere and get the app no problem.   There is no stopping it, you have to bankrupt them.   I'm not sure forcing a sale is any better, but at least it wouldn't be China. 

Of course, a case could be made that China derives very little of value from Tik Tok since there is nothing of value on that platform. 

mspart

13 minutes ago, mspart said:

True.   How do you eliminate Tik Tok in the US?   You can make it illegal to provide the app from an app store.   But with VPN, anyone can go anywhere and get the app no problem.   There is no stopping it, you have to bankrupt them.   I'm not sure forcing a sale is any better, but at least it wouldn't be China. 

Of course, a case could be made that China derives very little of value from Tik Tok since there is nothing of value on that platform. 

mspart

As I understand it, it’s also full of propaganda, which to me, is much worse than the tracking and information collection.  Still, with no jurisdiction over China, the only people who could be prosecuted would be Americans.  And it will likely meet a degree of failure due to the market for it, that has been established.  

I doubt it would ever be offline, it would be sold. Steve Mnuchin is already putting together a group to buy it. 

I've seen a lot of people say we wouldn't have let the USSR buy NBC in the 70s, which is true, but I think in some ways that would be better than the situation with TikTok. At least everyone knew what someone was seeing on NBC. Thanks to the algorithms, it's hard to say what anyone is seeing. Everyone has a unique news bubble they're in on TikTok. 

The thing is, a sale won't really fix that. I find myself unconvinced by the arguments on either side really. I guess that's a vote for the status quo.

23 minutes ago, Danny Deck said:

I doubt it would ever be offline, it would be sold. Steve Mnuchin is already putting together a group to buy it. 

I've seen a lot of people say we wouldn't have let the USSR buy NBC in the 70s, which is true, but I think in some ways that would be better than the situation with TikTok. At least everyone knew what someone was seeing on NBC. Thanks to the algorithms, it's hard to say what anyone is seeing. Everyone has a unique news bubble they're in on TikTok. 

The thing is, a sale won't really fix that. I find myself unconvinced by the arguments on either side really. I guess that's a vote for the status quo.

China will never give up their algorithms as where an American owned company could be legislated to have to.  India has banned it completely and numerous counties don’t allow it on their gov issued phones.  If it’s not safe for gov employees to have it kinda makes the decision easier IMO. 

I don't think much will change with a sale either, other than China will not have direct access to the data anymore.   The ides of social media was so friends could connect.   That is no longer their purpose.  

mspart