• Playwire Ad Area

Another D1 program goes bust

On 3/20/2024 at 8:31 AM, Animal197 said:

I just got back from the NCWA tournament and can confirm that coach Leeth is a class act. They asked him to speak about the importance of fundraising at the coaches meeting. TSU just had (what I think is) their first All-American (or one of their first) in this year’s tournaments. Hopefully their success at that level helps their fundraising efforts.

If he learned nothing about fundraising from Rob Koll, then TSU hired the wrong guy. My guess is that they meet their goal... I just hope it doesn't become a moving goal post in the meantime.

On 3/20/2024 at 10:44 AM, WrestlingRash said:

I don't think people mind relying on handouts. I get calls from college programs during their fundraisers all the time. I had 5 coaches ask for donations this year alone. If I wasn't such a broke ass, I would gladly help. The real issue is that coaches don't understand they need to be a professional fundraiser. You can hire a group to do this for you, but it has to be a top priority - a higher priority than hiring a 3 time AA to be your 3rd assistant coach. Any coach at ANY level of college wrestling who isn't actively working to become cost neutral to the athletic department is putting their program at risk. Camps and a big youth tournament are the best way to bring in big bucks, unless you find that rare case of a super high net worth individual who can fund an endowment. You can get 5% of your endowment every year, so each school should be working towards a minimum of 10M in the bank. This is not an insignificant amount of money so you need a multi year plan to get it done - something like 10 years.

Wrestling is at a higher risk of going away than ever before and the focus needs to be shifted to becoming professional fundraisers. 

This cannot be stated enough and is a major part of the model that NWCA pushes out to new and existing coaches via their Convention and CEO Leadership Academy. Koll is tight with Moyer and is the guest speaker when it comes to raising money for programs.

• Fire 1

15 hours ago, Tom formerly Tofurky said:

If he learned nothing about fundraising from Rob Koll, then TSU hired the wrong guy. My guess is that they meet their goal... I just hope it doesn't become a moving goal post in the meantime.

What makes you say they met their goal? Seemed like there was some waves being made so I sure hope so! 

do we have an update on what his big announcement was? 

20 hours ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

What makes you say they met their goal? Seemed like there was some waves being made so I sure hope so! 

do we have an update on what his big announcement was? 

I didn't say they did. I said that I guess that they will, but sometime in the future. I have no inside knowledge about the program or money raised. The excitement surrounding the program appears to be a main driver towards the success everyone hopes they attain.