141- Beau Bartlett

149- Ridge Lovvett

157- Will Lewan

165- Cam Amine

174- Mekhi Lewis

184- Isaiah Salazar

197- Rocky Elam

HWT- Cohlton Shultz

This is a good list, but seems maybe Ridge at 149 is more of a scorer than the others.  Probably true that against the very best challengers he may rely on stingy defenses - but not as much as the other? 

1 hour ago, Elevator said:

This is a good list, but seems maybe Ridge at 149 is more of a scorer than the others.  Probably true that against the very best challengers he may rely on stingy defenses - but not as much as the other? 

Ridge is probably the most offensive guy in this list. But yes, against the top guys he is very stingy defensively and on top. 

On 3/15/2024 at 1:41 PM, wrestle87 said:

That is a great point, I couldn't agree more.  Retherford and Nick Lee actually kinda looked that way in their first few years.  Retherford still does, moves like a robot, he's just so strong that it takes an exceptional individual to get him out of position.

Referencing Retherford and Nick Lee are two perfect examples. Nick Lee's first couple of years he was a horrible scrambler. He consistently turned the wrong way in scrambles that should have been TDs and he ended up giving up a takedown. I thought that Nick might never learn how to scramble but he actually did and became a pretty good scrambler with what seemed like a lot of practice because he just was not a natural at it. And Zain wasn't really either. He was probably better than Nick off the bat but Zain is not an overly athletic guy, either. He is just so strong and technically sound like Nick Lee that it makes up for their lack of pure athleticism at this level just like MM. Mesenbrink is still really young so I am hoping that he learns how to scramble better.

Edited by JimmyCinnabon

On 3/15/2024 at 3:40 PM, Gus said:

125- Michael Deugustino

133- Aaron Nagao

141- Beau Bartlett

149- Ridge Lovvett

157- Will Lewan

165- Cam Amine

174- Mekhi Lewis

184- Isaiah Salazar

197- Rocky Elam

HWT- Cohlton Shultz

Id swap Nagao for daton and maybe Elam for glazier but otherwise awesome list.

19 minutes ago, JimmyCinnabon said:

Referencing Retherford and Nick Lee are two perfect examples. Nick Lee's first couple of years he was a horrible scrambler. He consistently turned the wrong way in scrambles that should have been TDs and he ended up giving up a takedown. I thought that Nick might never learn how to scramble but he actually did and became a pretty good scrambler with what seemed like a lot of practice because he just was not a natural at it. And Zain wasn't really either. He was probably better than Nick off the bat but Zain is not an overly athletic guy, either. He is just so strong and technically sound like Nick Lee that it makes up for their lack of pure athleticism at this level just like MM. Mesenbrink is still really young so I am hoping that he learns how to scramble better.

I will give Mesenbrink a bit of a break, especially as a freshman, there have been very few people who have been able to figure Hamiti out.  I don't know regular season results, but the list of guys he's lost to in the Big Tens and NCAA tournament over the past two years are:

Cam Amine (2x)
Shane Griffith (2x)
Quincy Monday
Alex Marinelli

The only one of those matches that, at least based on scores, really got away from him, was his 2022 quarter against Griffith, which was 10-4.  All the other matches were 1 or 2 point decisions.

I would not assert that Hamiti has evolved in anyway, but he must have a very goofy feel, and be surprisingly strong to be able to execute what he does on so many guys.  For any wrestler to notch a "W" over him in their first meeting is a big deal, and I haven't seen any evidence of Hamiti turning the corner so to speak.  He either beats you, and does it regularly, or you beat him, and that's kind of that.  

Long way of me saying, I think Mesenbrink is still on the upswing.  To be able to tangle with Hamiti and come out on the upside in scrambles, especially when it matters, is not a small achievement.  

1 hour ago, Truzzcat said:

Nagao adopted the PSU mentality of never letting off the gas and go for bonus points .... Unfortuntely for him his TD skills have not developed fast enough and his neutral defense has lapses when he adopts that mind set.  Not a good development for him in the 3 point era.  I look for him to go to a three point stance often and be more conservative at NCAAs, so he may top my list again, but for now Fix and his better neutral defense and counter skills wins the 133 spot.

1 hour ago, wrestle87 said:

I will give Mesenbrink a bit of a break, especially as a freshman, there have been very few people who have been able to figure Hamiti out.  I don't know regular season results, but the list of guys he's lost to in the Big Tens and NCAA tournament over the past two years are:

Cam Amine (2x)
Shane Griffith (2x)
Quincy Monday
Alex Marinelli

The only one of those matches that, at least based on scores, really got away from him, was his 2022 quarter against Griffith, which was 10-4.  All the other matches were 1 or 2 point decisions.

I would not assert that Hamiti has evolved in anyway, but he must have a very goofy feel, and be surprisingly strong to be able to execute what he does on so many guys.  For any wrestler to notch a "W" over him in their first meeting is a big deal, and I haven't seen any evidence of Hamiti turning the corner so to speak.  He either beats you, and does it regularly, or you beat him, and that's kind of that.  

Long way of me saying, I think Mesenbrink is still on the upswing.  To be able to tangle with Hamiti and come out on the upside in scrambles, especially when it matters, is not a small achievement.  

I think Hamiti is actually better than MM. I watched their match at Big 10s and was astonished at the ease with with Hamiti was taking MM down. I don't know if Hamiti lost track or gassed out, but that looked like a pretty lucky 5 point move in the 3rd for MM. 

I'll be rooting for MM because I like aggressive wrestlers, but I wouldn't be shocked if he lost in the semis or finals. I think he might be a little too aggressive for his own good and a savvy, technical wrestler like Hamiti could make him pay for it. 

• Bob 1

44 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

I think Hamiti is actually better than MM. I watched their match at Big 10s and was astonished at the ease with with Hamiti was taking MM down. I don't know if Hamiti lost track or gassed out, but that looked like a pretty lucky 5 point move in the 3rd for MM. 

I'll be rooting for MM because I like aggressive wrestlers, but I wouldn't be shocked if he lost in the semis or finals. I think he might be a little too aggressive for his own good and a savvy, technical wrestler like Hamiti could make him pay for it. 

Agree with all of this. Hamiti was getting to MM's legs and finishing, and he's the better scrambler due to his length. I think he got injured during the match. People saw him hobbling his way back to the locker room. You can also see him limping after the handshake in the Big Ten videos on Youtube.  

I'll be rooting for Hamiti over Carr because I think a match with KOT would be more interesting than seeing Carr-KOT again. MM is super fun though and I'd like to see him win it all next week.

• Bob 2

1 hour ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Agree with all of this. Hamiti was getting to MM's legs and finishing, and he's the better scrambler due to his length. I think he got injured during the match. People saw him hobbling his way back to the locker room. You can also see him limping after the handshake in the Big Ten videos on Youtube.  

I'll be rooting for Hamiti over Carr because I think a match with KOT would be more interesting than seeing Carr-KOT again. MM is super fun though and I'd like to see him win it all next week.

That would make sense. He was going about 80 mph and then all the sudden after that late takedown he was going about 10mph and for the rest of the match. It was very strange.

6 hours ago, Truzzcat said:

Daton probably falls in the same category as Ridge where he uses great defense against the top competition but he opens it up against everyone else. Glazier has been so darn tough this year. He has been able to get to everyone’s legs besides Brooks. 

11 hours ago, Gus said:

Daton probably falls in the same category as Ridge where he uses great defense against the top competition but he opens it up against everyone else. Glazier has been so darn tough this year. He has been able to get to everyone’s legs besides Brooks. 

That's been Fix's problem in the big matches, he tightens up way too much. He needs to go crazy in the finals this year and utilize his quickness and power. Instead of waiting for the perfect shot, he needs to make some shit happen, he needs to wrestle aggressively.  He's got some great offensive stuff if he would just use it. 

Edited by NM1965
  • Bob 1
  • Brain 1

Two who can do it.

Real Woods of Iowa. He seems to have pulled back a lot on offence. Maybe he can rely on defense and counters?

Aaron Brooks of Penn State? Doesn't give up takedowns so can counter off the shots of others as he prevents them getting in deep as the match goes on and they get frustrated?

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.