• Playwire Ad Area

Most anticipated potential matches at NCAA’s?

20 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I guess Manning’s point is that he thinks Starocci should have just been seeded last at B10’s if they knew he wasn’t going to wrestle?   It’s still probably a bit of a stretch to get Wilson to an automatic qualifying spot though.

If you reconstruct the bracket with everyone moving up 1 spot, he wrestles Maylor as an 11/6 matchup.  If I’m reading this right, if he loses, with no Starocci he would’ve had a bye in his first consi match before wrestling the 4/5 loser, which would have been Welsh/Turley, both the guys he lost to, so he’d be back into the 9th place bracket there.

If he beats Maylor he probably places top 8 in that scenario, but he did lose to Maylor in the dual.

I mean I guess I wouldn’t be opposed to guys being able to not enter the conference tourney and still be entered into the at large pool (although there should be some penalty), but based on the current rules there isn’t anything wrong with what PSU did.

The 10 seed byed into a placement. That's just wrong 

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I guess Manning’s point is that he thinks Starocci should have just been seeded last at B10’s if they knew he wasn’t going to wrestle?   It’s still probably a bit of a stretch to get Wilson to an automatic qualifying spot though.

If you reconstruct the bracket with everyone moving up 1 spot, he wrestles Maylor as an 11/6 matchup.  If I’m reading this right, if he loses, with no Starocci he would’ve had a bye in his first consi match before wrestling the 4/5 loser, which would have been Welsh/Turley, both the guys he lost to, so he’d be back into the 9th place bracket there.

If he beats Maylor he probably places top 8 in that scenario, but he did lose to Maylor in the dual.

I mean I guess I wouldn’t be opposed to guys being able to not enter the conference tourney and still be entered into the at large pool (although there should be some penalty), but based on the current rules there isn’t anything wrong with what PSU did.

I think Manning is just fighting for his guy.  He probably believes Wilson would of been able to flip a result from the dual as well.

I would also bet some of this goes back to their B12 days when coaches were determining who would get the wild card from each conference and Cael and Bobby used to make alliances to get their guys in as opposed to determining the most deserving guys.  

On 3/12/2024 at 11:43 AM, Dogbone said:

Good list.

I would add Starocci if he doesn't look 100% v. Mekhi.   If Carter looks like his himself then I don't think this is a match but I wouldn't rule out Mekhi vs. an 85% Starocci.

Wonder if Mekhi would give him some payback and try hyperextending his injured leg just like Carter did last time...

2 hours ago, jajensen09 said:

And back doored into ncaas without winning a match. 

He beat Wilson when they wrestled. You can't say he's better because that's how you feel. The toed the line and Wilson lost. 

Wilson's problem was Wilson and no one else's. This emphasis on what happened at the B1Gs is ignoring the rest of his underwhelming season. He had plenty of opportunities throughout the year that he didn't take advantage of. 

It's his fault and his fault alone that the didn't get in. 

That type of bracket manipulation is precisely why the “Schlatter Rule” was created.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk