• Playwire Ad Area

Gatekeepers at each weight

Just for fun....

125 this year might not fit into this topic, but I thought it would be cool to put together a lineup of "gatekeepers" at each weight. 

Definition of a gatekeeper is a wrestler that if you can beat them, it puts you in the conversation of being an all american at that weight.  Maybe not one of the top 8 guys currently, but someone that puts your name on the radar if you top. (Obviously there can be multiple at each weight, here is just a few based on my quick glances at intermat rankings) Some of these weights you might have to win two matches in a row against these type guys.

125 - Anyone in the top 15 could go 0-2 at the NCAA's or be an NCAA champion

133 - Latona 

141 - Clay Carlson, Vince Cornella

149 - Maybe an good win over Abas?  5-6 point victory

157 - This one is interesting because you have Chittum, Brayton Lee, and Lewan at the 14, 15, 16 (intermat).  Beat one of those guys decidedly and I think you are in the conversation...but I also think they are ranked very low currently

165 - Caleb Fish

174 - Major over Pasiuk would be a "good win" and turn some heads 

184 - combo win over Feldcamp and Soldano and people are taking notice

197 - Poznanski + Stemmet + Mac Stout

285 - Hunter Catka?

• Fire 3

"Look good, feel good, wrestle good." - J Jaggers

IM PLAYING!!!! 

125 - Noah Surtin: he can beat anyone ahead of him and lose to a few behind him. He's my round of 12 Betsy 

133 - Latona was a great pick OP, but I'm feeling Teske 

141 - Hate to say it, cause I'm a fan, but Cole Mathews, burnout, injury, whatever, he has 9 or 10 losses this year. You got a win over this guy, you got a shot at the top 8.

149 - For me is D'Emilio, think he is a thoroughbred round of 12 non-AA

157 - This one is easy, Mr. Consistently not a top guy but you better be game Teague Travis

165 - Caleb Fish is the only answer here

174 - I like Mocco for this one, he's not great but wrestles good guys tough, anyone who beats him can make that top 8

184 - I like the OP said Feldkamp who may be the most one dimensional wrestler in all the NCAAs. If you can't figure him out you can't place.... but let me go with a freshman gatekeeper (I think Freshman)... Dylan Fishback from NCST, I think he's solid enough to be right there with most people ahead of him and a tough out for anyone behind him

197 - Stemmet is the first person I think of, I wish Surber wasn't in this category but I think he's a great measuring stick for AA or not. 

285 - Lewis Fernandes all day don't trust him to beat anyone good, but he ain't losing to anyone bad. Mr. Round of 12. 

Edited by Spladle08
  • Fire 2

Surber hasn't really thrived at 197 like I thought he would. I think he might be more a R16 guy, but he has the capability to AA if the stars align just right 😄

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

Surber hasn't really thrived at 197 like I thought he would. I think he might be more a R16 guy, but he has the capability to AA if the stars align just right 😄

Coming out of HS had he been thrown into that 197 spot, I think he'd be a consistent AA.  Obviously AJ was more developed and just better at the weight, but I think the move to heavy hurt is overall development. Then injuries and yadda yadda. I think he has the talent to AA but just going to depend on how he shows up. 
Genuinely disappointing for me. Loved the talent. 

• Fire 1

I don't think chittum is a gatekeeper too young in his career so there is still going to be some major volatility. Cam amine feels like that type of guy to me at 165 if you beat him you're definitely in the AA convo. Latona seems like a good one for 133 or like a coliaocoo. 141 Vince seems perfect. 149 D'emilio or abas? 157 will lewan or paddy Gallagher when healthy although I think he was getting better prior to his injury. 174 is a weird weight to me in that there is an established top tier and then nobody that really differentiates to me perhaps Peyton mocco. 184 Layne malcewzki or a jump up Will feldkamp. 197 id say silas Allred just for this year but historically I think hes a better wrestler than hes shown so im gonna go with Luke stout. 285 Owen trephen or Konner doucet.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Spladle08 said:

285 - Lewis Fernandes all day don't trust him to beat anyone good, but he ain't losing to anyone bad. Mr. Round of 12. 

This hurts but I can't disagree. Real bummer that he would have been AA as a freshman but for a bullshit restart against Christian Lance in R12.

• Stalling 1

1 hour ago, Truzzcat said:

I don't think chittum is a gatekeeper too young in his career so there is still going to be some major volatility. Cam amine feels like that type of guy to me at 165 if you beat him you're definitely in the AA convo. Latona seems like a good one for 133 or like a coliaocoo. 141 Vince seems perfect. 149 D'emilio or abas? 157 will lewan or paddy Gallagher when healthy although I think he was getting better prior to his injury. 174 is a weird weight to me in that there is an established top tier and then nobody that really differentiates to me perhaps Peyton mocco. 184 Layne malcewzki or a jump up Will feldkamp. 197 id say silas Allred just for this year but historically I think hes a better wrestler than hes shown so im gonna go with Luke stout. 285 Owen trephen or Konner doucet.

Heinselman beat Doucet a couple weeks ago and acted like a heel afterward.  I think Heinselman might be a R12 type guy this year, but he tends to nearly always disappoint if I actually think he has a chance.