• Playwire Ad Area

“What other sport takes away team points for celebrating?”

1 hour ago, Paul158 said:

Unbelievable.

The guy who was disqualified changed lanes before all swimmers had finished.  That's a no-no.  There's no judgment allowed on the official's part; do you want it to be a judgment call as to whether anyone in another lane was affected?  The correct response by the winner of a heat is to remain in the lane until everyone is finished; maybe hang on the lane line to congratulate the swimmer in the next lane.

• Fire 1

31 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

Rather than the simple and obvious "don't do that"?

How prominent is this rule? I know next to nothing about swimming, but if everyone knows is strictly forbidden until the race is finished he deserves it. If it’s sorta obscure and maybe he didn’t know then that’s on the NCAA, coaches. And the student-athlete to make everyone aware.

Anything that is an instant DQ should not be toyed with. With all that said I do feel for the kid, he didn’t interfere with anyone and let the accomplishment of a lifetime take over his critical thinking. 

1 hour ago, BigRedFan said:

The guy who was disqualified changed lanes before all swimmers had finished.  That's a no-no.  There's no judgment allowed on the official's part; do you want it to be a judgment call as to whether anyone in another lane was affected? 

It occurred after the race was over, including the lane he went into, so kinda, yeah.

This seems comparable to the high school “taking down your singlet straps” rule (although at least it’s just a team point and not a DQ).  It can be called a lot more than it is even though it’s technically “no judgement allowed”

• Fire 1

59 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

It occurred after the race was over, including the lane he went into, so kinda, yeah.

This seems comparable to the high school “taking down your singlet straps” rule (although at least it’s just a team point and not a DQ).  It can be called a lot more than it is even though it’s technically “no judgement allowed”

The race isn't over until the last person in the heat finishes.  You can't leave your lane, neither by going into another lane nor by getting out of the pool.  This rule *ensures* that nobody interferes with any other swimmer.  No judgment needed.  You don't do it.

Make no mistake:  I feel for him.

Edited by BigRedFan

8 minutes ago, ionel said:

Would it have been ok if they'd celebrated beow water going under instead of over the lane divider? 

I thought this part was pretty clear:

You can't leave your lane, neither by going into another lane nor by getting out of the pool.

Rule 2.5.1.b:  A swimmer who changes lanes during a heat shall be disqualified.

https://swimswam.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/NCAA-Swimming-and-Diving-Rules-Book-2021-2023.pdf

5 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

I thought this part was pretty clear:

Rule 2.5.1.b:  A swimmer who changes lanes during a heat shall be disqualified.

https://swimswam.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/NCAA-Swimming-and-Diving-Rules-Book-2021-2023.pdf

That is not what they cited. They said he was disqualified for interfering with another swimmer.

That part of the rule reads:

"Any competitor who interferes with another swimmer during 
a race shall be disqualified from that race, subject to the discretion of the 
referee.
"

If ever there was a time for discretion it was then.

• Fire 2

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

5 minutes ago, ionel said:

So whats the controversy?

Seems like people don't understand that the swimmer broke a clear rule, most likely unintentionally, and that the official on deck should not have enforced the rule since it appears that no other swimmer's race was affected.  I guess "no harm, no foul" is the thinking?

1 minute ago, BigRedFan said:

Seems like people don't understand that the swimmer broke a clear rule, most likely unintentionally, and that the official on deck should not have enforced the rule since it appears that no other swimmer's race was affected.  I guess "no harm, no foul" is the thinking?

See the bolded part above

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

3 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

That is not what they cited. They said he was disqualified for interfering with another swimmer.

referee."

hmm ... but didn't appear he interfered with any other swimmers.

• Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

referee.
"

I'm curious as to who "they" are who you are citing and where the citation is to be found.

Just now, Wrestleknownothing said:

Re-read my post. I already addressed this.

It appears either the conference officials were misquoted or they don't know the rules. 

6 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Read the very first post in this thread.

Not exactly authoritative, is it?  A tweet by a reporter (I guess) quoting an unnamed official.  Which do you think is more likely:  1.a was officially cited without any other swimmer actually being interfered with, and nobody reviewed and overruled what would be an obvious discretionary correction; or 1.b was cited as an obvious infraction occured?

A bunch of old timers discussing a swimming race on a wrestling board. 

There was no misciting. The "interfering with a swimmer" rule is a well known rule that has multiple parts to it. Part "b" states: "A swimmer who changes lanes during a heat shall be disqualified." the swimmer in question entered the lane line of his teammate, who finished 2nd, while the rest of the field hadn't finished the race yet. Automatic DQ. 

I learned the same painful lesson years ago after finishing a 500 yard freestyle race