• Playwire Ad Area

Big 12 285lbs - NCAA #1 Seed?

Dogbone

Should an undefeated Big 12 HWT get the #1 seed?   I know Kerk is ranked #1 and he is my pick but he has only wrestled 11 matches. 

The Big 12 has currently 3 undefeated guys all with at least 19 wins.   Elam and Batista should go this weekend and of course Kerk beat Henderson at the All-Star dual, which doesn't "count."

With the Big 12 having #2, #3, #5, #10 and #11 in Intermat's current rankings, does an undefeated Big 12 champ deserve the #1 seed at NCAAs?

Based on the seeding criteria, you may be right, as Kerk will have the coaches ranking (15%), but an undefeated Big 12 champ could have the quality wins (20%).  Not sure about RPI though (10%).

But I know they are able to override the formula sometimes.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Dogbone said:

Should an undefeated Big 12 HWT get the #1 seed?   I know Kerk is ranked #1 and he is my pick but he has only wrestled 11 matches. 

The Big 12 has currently 3 undefeated guys all with at least 19 wins.   Elam and Batista should go this weekend and of course Kerk beat Henderson at the All-Star dual, which doesn't "count."

With the Big 12 having #2, #3, #5, #10 and #11 in Intermat's current rankings, does an undefeated Big 12 champ deserve the #1 seed at NCAAs?

clint eastwood Deserve's got nothing to do with it. GIF

• Fire 2

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Seed Kerkvliet #33 if it makes you happy. Won’t make a difference in the final outcome. 

Well, it would, as he’d beat Hendrickson in the Round of 32 and Hendrickson could then take 3rd at best, as opposed to 2nd.

But, yes, point taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, Dogbone said:

No. And Hendrickson's loss to Kerk may not go against his record, but I'll bet you his beatdown at the hands of Kerk will be considered. The only way Kerk isn't top seed at NCAAs is if he loses at Big 10s, and then the guy who beat him will take top seed, not the Big 10 champ.

15 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

I don't think seeding will make a huge difference to Kerk, but it would be nice to reward the Big XII winner for wrestling through a complete season.

Isn't being seeded in the other half of the bracket reward enough?

2 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Could the 125 31, 32, and 33 seeds sit on each others shoulders and be the 1 seed at 285?

No, that's 600 pounds. DUH.

You'd have to use 2.28 125 pounders. So, 2 125 pounders, plus you can put the arms of another 125 pounder in there.

• Haha 1

On 2/22/2024 at 10:00 PM, 1032004 said:

Well that would give him an extra match and artificially inflate PSU’s team score

Well, it wouldn’t artificially inflate their team score. Any points from his #33 vs #1 would be earned. 

On 2/23/2024 at 10:22 AM, NM1965 said:

No. And Hendrickson's loss to Kerk may not go against his record, but I'll bet you his beatdown at the hands of Kerk will be considered. The only way Kerk isn't top seed at NCAAs is if he loses at Big 10s, and then the guy who beat him will take top seed, not the Big 10 champ.

All Star match isn’t supposed to count for National seeding, but the year after Mark Hall won NCAA’s he was seeded second behind Valencia. Both were “undefeated”, though Valencia had beaten him in the All Star match. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Richferg said:

Well, it wouldn’t artificially inflate their team score. Any points from his #33 vs #1 would be earned. 

In the sense that he shouldn’t actually be seeded 33

1 hour ago, Richferg said:

All Star match isn’t supposed to count for National seeding, but the year after Mark Hall won NCAA’s he was seeded second behind Valencia. Both were “undefeated”, though Valencia had beaten him in the All Star match. 

It was factored into rankings which was likely what gave him the edge in seeding

4 hours ago, Richferg said:

Yeah, it's not supposed to count, but we all know it really does. 

Kerk should be 15-0 when it comes to the NCAA seeding.... He will get the edge in the coaches ranking because of the unofficial win over Henderson. If Younger Dave Batista wins out , he would an impressive list of wins which would put his RPI over Kerk. In that scenario I could see the criteria being in favor of Younger Dave Batista. All hypotheticals of course. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐