• Playwire Ad Area

Retherford and other "Tweeners" at Olympic Trials

Olympic Trials are less than two months away.  

Does anyone who has an ear to the wall know which way Retherford is going?  Up to 74KG or down to 65KG?  He's surely made a decision and move by now.

I seem to think there are a few others with this dilemma. 

I think Chance is going up.  Green is going down.  Dieringer is going up. Vito is going down. Cassiopi is going down.

Cox will be at 97KG ... though I haven't heard much about him lately.  Has anyone?

Nashon ?  (I suspect up)  Shapiro? (I suspect up) Desanto (probably up)

Others? Gross? 

The weight Yo Yo-ing is underway ... of course because the damn Olympic committee forces 10 weights into 6, which is a terrible crime 

Curious Man Trying To Listen Stock Photo, Picture and Royalty Free Image.  Image 58843126.

Edited by SocraTease
  • Fire 1

My first reaction without thinking too deeply, has anyone ever legitimately bumped up and made the team? It took taylor two years to turn into a real 86, Dake almost made the team over Cox in 2016 but not quite...I looked back through 2012 and didn't see anyone who struck me as small.

I don't think anyone from 61, 70, 79 who goes up has a chance.

Edited by Hammerlock3

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

14 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

My first reaction without thinking too deeply, has anyone ever legitimately bumped up and made the team? It took taylor two years to turn into a real 86, Dake almost made the team over Cox in 2016 but not quite...I looked back through 2012 and didn't see anyone who struck me as small.

I don't think anyone from 61, 70, 79 who goes up has a chance.

Good question. I am not aware of anyone doing it. Are there any who have cut and made the team?

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 minute ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Good question. I am not aware of anyone doing it. Are there any who have cut and made the team?

That speaks to my point a bit, guys like Gilman have wrestled at 61 but generally just stayed down. Notice he hasn't been competing a lot in related news. 

There is kind of a bias in place in that we can have a decent idea of who is headed up, but cutting weight is such a taboo subject that we have no idea who was as big as all the guys who went up but decided to stay down...

I think Meyer is trying to grow into being a 74kg guy its part of the reason he went 157 instead of 149. I would also imagine he does not want to be competing against yianni for a spot they seem super close. I saw someone on here say cox may go heavyweight so he does not have to cut. I'm not sure if there is any validity to that but I would certainly be interested. 

Chance beat the world runner up at 79kg and 92 at the last ranking series at 86 so im guessing hes feeling pretty comfortable there. As for nashon and desanto I believe 65 is their only realistic option. The main canidates to go down seem to be suriano,vito,fix and then zain to 65 and carter to 74. Those two seem like insane cuts to me but both have legit shots if they can do it and still be effective. 

49 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

I think Meyer is trying to grow into being a 74kg guy its part of the reason he went 157 instead of 149. I would also imagine he does not want to be competing against yianni for a spot they seem super close.

Shapiro has the choice of going down to 65kg and facing Yianni and the rest, or going up to 74kg and facing Dake and JB and the rest.  No good options.  For sure, if he goes 74kg he'll be fully fueled a month after being 157 at NCAAs.  He's said he really doesn't like to cut weight.  It would be interesting to see what his speed would do against a "monster" like Dake.

3 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

Shapiro has the choice of going down to 65kg and facing Yianni and the rest, or going up to 74kg and facing Dake and JB and the rest.  No good options.  For sure, if he goes 74kg he'll be fully fueled a month after being 157 at NCAAs.  He's said he really doesn't like to cut weight.  It would be interesting to see what his speed would do against a "monster" like Dake.

are we talking as if Shapiro has a chance at the team? nationoal team maybe

Edited by Hammerlock3

4 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

are we talking as if Shapiro has a chance at the team? nationoal team maybe

Not sure to what you are referring.  He's already qualified for the OTT, which I thought was the topic at hand.

28 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

Not sure to what you are referring.  He's already qualified for the OTT, which I thought was the topic at hand.

i'm saying that sense he has no chance of making the team he's probably not sweating which weight to go in the same way that someone like retherford is. 

For instance, if I started a topic about what weight ferrrari is going I'd expect a lot of people to say "who cares".

Edited by Hammerlock3

1 hour ago, Hammerlock3 said:

i'm saying that sense he has no chance of making the team he's probably not sweating which weight to go in the same way that someone like retherford is. 

For instance, if I started a topic about what weight ferrrari is going I'd expect a lot of people to say "who cares".

I would certainly agree he is a none factor at 74 at this juncture but if he made 65 and felt ok I think he would do very well. 

It is a big decision to make for sure.  Being a Tweener can't be fun.   Do we know what kind of cuts in weight Dake, Taylor, and Snyder have to make?  For Gilman I think it is pretty drastic.   Mason is probably ok.  

Cox going to 125 doesn't make sense to me.   He would need to fill out quite a bit and I don't see that on his frame.   But he may have a chance to make the team there where I don't think he has any chance at 97.   Maybe this time he won't be late to weigh ins. 

I would think Retherford would go to 65.   Dake has 74 pretty well locked up but I have a small hope for JB.   I don't think Retherford is in that league yet.  

Whatever happens, the OTTs will be spectacular this year I think. 

mspart

42 minutes ago, mspart said:

Cox going to 125 doesn't make sense to me.  

Well its his best shot at the team. I'd take him over Parris at this point, not sure if that's a minority opinion or not.

On 2/21/2024 at 12:21 PM, Wrestleknownothing said:

Are there any recent examples aside from Dake? There have always been "tweeners" in the international styles, but as it relates to weight classes the large discrepancy between the number of Olympic and World weights has only been around for a couple of cycles. 

But the best example that comes to mind of a wrestler getting the raw end of tweening is James Green. Steady World team member at 70kg but IIRC was a shell of himself when he had to suck down to 65.

• Fire 1

21 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Are there any recent examples aside from Dake? There have always been "tweeners" in the international styles, but as it relates to weight classes the large discrepancy between the number of Olympic and World weights has only been around for a couple of cycles. 

But the best example that comes to mind of a wrestler getting the raw end of tweening is James Green. Steady World team member at 70kg but IIRC was a shell of himself when he had to suck down to 65.

has he done that since 2016?