• Playwire Ad Area

SDSU vs Mizzou

Gus

4 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

Thank god for Z. Elam.  Not sure why Smith started 3  2nd/3rd teamers.  Damn near put themselves in 4th place in the B12 when they should be 1st (IMO).  They need to pull a Chiefs and say screw the rest of the season, we're gonna turn it on at the end when it really matters.

Ummmmmmmm……..

A.  Chiefs have titles. Terrible comparison 

B. Didn’t SDSU start two backups too??? 

Edited by JimmyBT

2 minutes ago, flanders said:

They just look like they don't want to be out there, don't want to wrestle,  and don't care if they lose.

Not making excuses for MU, and certainly everyone is dealing with injuries at this time of the year.  Mocco, Hawks, and Elam lost to the higher ranked wrestlers today, regardless of what they have accomplished in the past.  The regression is not a good look for the Tigers, but hopefully time to get everyone healthy and get their heads right for Big 12s.  Also I've harped on the fact that Tiger Style wrestlers are simply not as "tough" culturally (hard nosed) as some of the other programs.  

• Fire 1

Elam took a shot and ended on his knees.  When he brought his head up, Sloan pancaked him with a headlock for the fall.

Saw something similar on Flo. Returning 3x Iowa champ was winning in the 3rd, got caught on his knees and just stoned straight to his back. Think he gave up multiple sets of backs after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, MNRodent said:

Elam took a shot and ended on his knees.  When he brought his head up, Sloan pancaked him with a headlock for the fall.

Isn't Sloan kinda known for throwing a "cement mixer" or similar scenario, Gator roll, in the past?  Our HS team had a good kid pancaked from a whizzer and 1/4 Nelson (whipover) at District yesterday.  It was a hard lesson as he was leading by 3 in the 3rd period and didn't need to be in the position to get pancaked.  No stalling warnings, etc...  just being overly aggressive and not tactically intelligent.  I was actually in the stands screaming to watch out for the whipover.  Not so much from the coaches sitting right next to the mat.  I'll be kind and say I had a better view.  

I'll be look Iooking forward to the next "Rocky and Sloan" chapter.

Edited by MidwestMan

45 minutes ago, MidwestMan said:

Not making excuses for MU, and certainly everyone is dealing with injuries at this time of the year.  Mocco, Hawks, and Elam lost to the higher ranked wrestlers today, regardless of what they have accomplished in the past.  

And I'll give Mizzou some credit, they just beat the #11 team on the road, minus 3 starters.  But it was still not a good dual for them.

11 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

And I'll give Mizzou some credit, they just beat the #11 team on the road, minus 3 starters.  But it was still not a good dual for them.

The number 11 team was minus two starters too.  Credit to SDSU for making it that close without their two time AA starting. 

52 minutes ago, MidwestMan said:

Isn't Sloan kinda known for throwing a "cement mixer" or similar scenario, Gator roll, in the past?  Our HS team had a good kid pancaked from a whizzer and 1/4 Nelson (whipover) at District yesterday.  It was a hard lesson as he was leading by 3 in the 3rd period and didn't need to be in the position to get pancaked.  No stalling warnings, etc...  just being overly aggressive and not tactically intelligent.  I was actually in the stands screaming to watch out for the whipover.  Not so much from the coaches sitting right next to the mat.  I'll be kind and say I had a better view.  

I'll be look Iooking forward to the next "Rocky and Sloan" chapter.

Sloan has that pancake headlock that he hit today but not a mixer that I’m aware of. Clay Carlson has a mixer that he hits a lot. Tanner Cook has the gator bacon he hits all the time. 

1 hour ago, JimmyBT said:

Ummmmmmmm……..

A.  Chiefs have titles. Terrible comparison 

B. Didn’t SDSU start two backups too??? 

Titles has nothing to do with his comparison. The Chiefs were sluggish and didn’t look like themselves until they got to the playoffs (that they nearly missed). Then they turned it on.

Mizzou looks sluggish and not like themselves, so hopefully they turn it on before the playoffs (Conf and Natty).

Seems like a solid comparison/wish to me…

6 minutes ago, The_KC_Godfather said:

Titles has nothing to do with his comparison. The Chiefs were sluggish and didn’t look like themselves until they got to the playoffs (that they nearly missed). Then they turned it on.

Mizzou looks sluggish and not like themselves, so hopefully they turn it on before the playoffs (Conf and Natty).

Seems like a solid comparison/wish to me…

Champions can turn it on when they want.  Chiefs have proven that.  They didn’t miss because they know when to turn it on.  I’ll stick with it being a stupid comparison.  

Edited by JimmyBT

16 minutes ago, Gus said:

Sloan has that pancake headlock that he hit today but not a mixer that I’m aware of. Clay Carlson has a mixer that he hits a lot. Tanner Cook has the gator bacon he hits all the time. 

Gus, you are absolutely correct.  I was watching some YouTube footage of Cook hitting gator bacon, as they call it today.  I actually learned this technique at a Granby camp in Virginia back in the early 80's.  The front headlock became a key part of our takedown arsenal after that camp.  Rafted the New River Gorge in West Virginia on the way home from camp.  Those kids, now grown men now, still talk about that trip and how much fun it was.  4 of those kids ended up state place finishers (1 state champ).  Building family in the wrestling room with experiences like this was always important to me.

Edited by MidwestMan

1 hour ago, JimmyBT said:

Champions can turn it on when they want.  Chiefs have proven that.  They didn’t miss because they know when to turn it on.  I’ll stick with it being a stupid comparison.  

So, the Chiefs didn’t want to turn it on in their 6 losses? Just wanted to make it exciting, so they chose to turn it on at the last minute to get the 3 seed? Why not turn it on earlier to get the 1 seed? Champions can do that, right?

They made mistakes early and that’s why they lost. They weren’t disciplined.

I just showed the comparison. You can ignore it if you want. You do you.

Edited by The_KC_Godfather

4 minutes ago, The_KC_Godfather said:

So, the Chiefs didn’t want to turn it on in their 6 losses? Just wanted to make it exciting, so they chose to turn it on at the last minute to get the 3 seed?

I just showed the comparison. You can ignore it if you want. You do you.

Yep.  They won their division and the SB.  Good grief.  Some even commented before the playoffs on getting business done on the road.  They turned it on when the HAD to.   Mizzou wrestling has no recent turn it on when needed nattys sooooooo.   And you do you.  

Edited by JimmyBT
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KCMO2 said:

Thank god for Z. Elam.  Not sure why Smith started 3  2nd/3rd teamers.  Damn near put themselves in 4th place in the B12 when they should be 1st (IMO).  They need to pull a Chiefs and say screw the rest of the season, we're gonna turn it on at the end when it really matters.

How should they be first?  They got beat soundly by OSU.  They had one home dual that weekend with a record crowd and OSU was on their 2nd match of the weekend and it was 24-10.  That's about as definitive as it gets.  

Edited by boconnell
  • Fire 1

48 minutes ago, boconnell said:

How should they be first?  They got beat soundly by OSU.  They had one home dual that weekend with a record crowd and OSU was on their 2nd match of the weekend and it was 24-10.  That's about as definitive as it gets.  

IMO means in my opinion.  Mizzou had no 133 pounder and a jv 149 in that dual.  That allowed OSU to take an open at 133, bump Fix to 141, and beat Mizzou's jv 149.  +12 OSU team points.  Normal lineups probably see a Fix decision over Moore (who had just beaten Latona) at 133, and Mizzou decisions at 141 and 149 where they were higher ranked.  +3 Mizzou team points.  A 15 point swing, in a 14 point dual.  I'm not saying Mizzou wins that dual, but it would have been a nail-biter if they had their full lineup, which OSU did.  So THAT'S my opinion.

1 hour ago, boconnell said:

There’s a lot of kool aid in that one. 

5 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

IMO means in my opinion.  Mizzou had no 133 pounder and a jv 149 in that dual.  That allowed OSU to take an open at 133, bump Fix to 141, and beat Mizzou's jv 149.  +12 OSU team points.  Normal lineups probably see a Fix decision over Moore (who had just beaten Latona) at 133, and Mizzou decisions at 141 and 149 where they were higher ranked.  +3 Mizzou team points.  A 15 point swing, in a 14 point dual.  I'm not saying Mizzou wins that dual, but it would have been a nail-biter if they had their full lineup, which OSU did.  So THAT'S my opinion.

Always remember.  Opinions are like assholes.  Everybody has one. And most stink. 

40 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

Always remember.  Opinions are like assholes.  Everybody has one. And most stink. 

Will you please shut up.  It seems like almost every time you respond to a thread you get in an argument and show your ass.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MidwestMan said:

Gus, you are absolutely correct.  I was watching some YouTube footage of Cook hitting gator bacon, as they call it today.  I actually learned this technique at a Granby camp in Virginia back in the early 80's.  The front headlock became a key part of our takedown arsenal after that camp.  Rafted the New River Gorge in West Virginia on the way home from camp.  Those kids, now grown men now, still talk about that trip and how much fun it was.  4 of those kids ended up state place finishers (1 state champ).  Building family in the wrestling room with experiences like this was always important to me.

Sounds like a fun experience! Yes, Cook pretty much has one move - that gator bacon/elevator/cement job whatever you want to call it. 

1 hour ago, KCMO2 said:

Will you please shut up.  It seems like almost every time you respond to a thread you get in an argument and show your ass.

So you declare an opinion with no basis in reality and say it's okay because it's your opinion and nobody can tell you otherwise.  Then you get mad at someone else for expressing his opinion.  Classic.  

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, KCMO2 said:

Maybe worth pointing out that OSU had 3 upsets and Mizzu none.  Fix prob gets the major at 33, he majored the #5 so ... A 100% Jamison prob wins at 41 but he was dinged up hence the bump otherwise Mizzu likely wins 41.  But bottom line the pokes look sharp the tigers look flat, it happens.  

• Fire 3

53 minutes ago, boconnell said:

So you declare an opinion with no basis in reality and say it's okay because it's your opinion and nobody can tell you otherwise.  Then you get mad at someone else for expressing his opinion.  Classic.  

Or he’s just tired of seeing someone who is trying to stir up drama when others would like to just discuss the topic…

• Fire 3

7 hours ago, KCMO2 said:

That’s an opinion right?   You can see my ass? 

Edited by JimmyBT